Do you use all your post nominals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Strange question perhaps but realised in registering for conference (ACVIM) where your qualifications/post nominals are listed on your badge.
Do you use all of your post nominals, including Honours? I think technically my post nominals are supposed to look like:
BVSc(Hons1) MANZCVS(Emergency & Critical Care), but I often shorten it to BVSc(Hons1) MANZVCS(ECC)

In Australia it seems quite normal to use the honours and class in the name, however this is my first time attending a US event where this will be on the badge and really dont want to make a fool of myself if this isn't normally the 'done' thing.

Hope this makes sense! I think new internship jitters have me overthinking things!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think honors are really a thing here, most people I think would just put the degree and specialty info.

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with kcoughli...honors aren’t something part of the “lettery things” is the US. I haven’t been to ACVIM specifically, but I have never seen people put honors or anything into their signatures or badges. Usually it’s just the DVM (or BVSc or whatever) and specialty certification.

With that said, I also think you’re probably overthinking it and this isn’t a very big deal. I’ve never really felt like people paid much attention to most of the info on name tags at all...I don’t really read anything but the name most of the time. Like even though my town/school/job location is typically printed on there, asking where you’re from is part of standard small talk. So if you want to put the whole thing I don’t think anyone will care and I’d bet most don’t even notice, to be quite honest.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys, Thats kind of what I was thinking.
Obviously I am proud of my honours and certainly have that on my CV, but otherwise its not really a big deal.

Funny enough you say that because my postal address and where I will be living come time of the conference are in different countries.. so I guess thats another reason to not get too worried about the badge.

I am definitely over thinking things, I have started to get a little nervous about some of the preparation for such a big move from Australia to the US and starting the internship.