Do you think this count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phebe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently considering to work as lab assistant for the fruit fly lab at my University, do you think it will count as working experience with "animal" :confused: I just lack of all kinds of experiences ...so...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Phebe. I don't think that this would fall under the "animal" experience heading, per se. However, vet schools DO love to see research, and it will no doubt look good on your application! Best of luck! :luck:

I did my undergraduate research in a Drosophila melanogaster lab doing developmental/genetics research and I actually put it under the "veterinary experience" section (on the advice of people here) because it was biomedical research under a PhD scientist.

If you are working under a PhD or DVM in a lab setting that is great experience and you can put it under vet experience. I would highly recommend getting involved in research, as was said before, vet schools love it!

I am not sure if it is under PhD research, because this position mainly want to train people who are able to produce good flies that allow the genetics students to study...:confused:

Your best bet might be to call/e-mail some of the vet schools you're interested in, talk with one of their admissions/advisors, and ask them. It's a good question.