Do you think of my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazensho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright,

So I'm applying to medical school for the second time, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm worried about everything to say the least and just want to get some other opinions on my chances. Here is a little about me:

First MCAT was a 23, but I got that up to a 31 in April 2005.

I have an overall GPA of 3.2, and have a B.S. in Biochemistry.

Im currently half way through my Masters of Public Health and have kept a 4.0 in grad school.

I hope to have a publication in Cardiology by the end of summer, but its a work in progress.

I am also working a full-time job in Cardiology research while I finish my MPH.
I am basically a research site coordinator enrolling patients in a MI registry. The study I am working on is a nation-wide population based study.

Oh yea, my applications were completed and sent off in mid-July this year.

I didn't get an interview last year, and haven't recieved one yet this year. I'm pretty worried about everything, but I'm doing everything I know to better my chances. I thought I had a chance this year after all the stuff listed above, but I want to be honest with myself. Thats why Im posting, because I want an unbiased opinion of my chances. So what do you guys think my chances are? Is there anything else you guys might suggest to better my application?

Thanks so much for the help and sorry about the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you should not have any problems. Did you have someone read your personal statement? Any problems with LOR? Did you apply broadly?

Yea, I actually got a few cardiology fellows to help me out with my statement, so i felt pretty confident about my statement too. I am unsure about my LOR's though, I am trying to get my hands on a copy because I did keep the right to review them. They are the ones from last year. I applied to a total of 15 schools i think. I am a TX resident so I applied to all the texas schools, and a few out of state schools.

You have a low GPA, which some here would say would knock you out of the running for an MD. But you have better than a 3.0, which means that you'll be looked at by most schools. Furthermore, the grad work will factor in, as will the pub. If you're willing to apply to a lot of schools (~30), and don't care where you go, you'll probably do just fine.

By the way, a few TX schools will hold it against you for being a reapplicant - call up your admissions deans and see if you can save yourself some $$$.

Alright,

So I'm applying to medical school for the second time, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm worried about everything to say the least and just want to get some other opinions on my chances. Here is a little about me:

Im currently half way through my Masters of Public Health and have kept a 4.0 in grad school.

I hope to have a publication in Cardiology by the end of summer, but its a work in progress.

I am basically a research site coordinator enrolling patients in a MI registry. The study I am working on is a nation-wide population based study.

I didn't get an interview last year, and haven't recieved one yet this year. I'm pretty worried about everything, but I'm doing everything I know to better my chances. I thought I had a chance this year after all the stuff listed above, but I want to be honest with myself. Thats why Im posting, because I want an unbiased opinion of my chances. So what do you guys think my chances are? Is there anything else you guys might suggest to better my application?

I got a strange hunch some school will accept you.:luck:

I think you have a pretty good chance, if not this year, then next if you apply really broadly. Obviously your GPA is a little on the low side, but it seems like you have a strong upward trend, so if you emphasize that you should be okay. Otherwise, I would advise you to keep doing what you're doing, and maybe get some shadowing in if you don't have any "clinical experience" (the most ridiculous hang-up some schools have). Best of luck!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I completed my applications in mid-July, should I be worried that I haven't heard back from any schools? The info that I have recieved from schools is that they have reviewed my app, but I still haven't heard anything. In all honesty, is that something I should be worried about?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I completed my applications in mid-July, should I be worried that I haven't heard back from any schools? The info that I have recieved from schools is that they have reviewed my app, but I still haven't heard anything. In all honesty, is that something I should be worried about?
I forgot about where you were in the timeline - did you apply to a lot of schools?

The season's just starting, so you've got plenty of time. Don't worry.

Yea I applied to 15 schools so far I believe. 6 state schools and the rest are all over the place. I actually applied to both New Orleans schools because i thought I might have a chance there.

Yea I applied to 15 schools so far I believe. 6 state schools and the rest are all over the place. I actually applied to both New Orleans schools because i thought I might have a chance there.
One thing to take a look at (a little late now, but :rolleyes: ) is the MSAR, medical school application requirements book. It hass acceptance stats for almost every school. State schools are generally state supported, which means that they are conttracturally bound to accept a certain perrcentage of state residents before out of staters. This percentage ranges from 50% (U Maine?) to 90+% (the TX schools). Most people apply to their states schools and then only private colleges (which are not bound to state residents). If you apply to a state school as an out of stater, you get tossed into a pool of ~3k-5k applicants which are vying for something like 10 seats. Not a pretty place to be.

If you don't get in, consider applying more broadly next time, and use something like the MSAR to choose your schools.

Dude, your chance is great. Don't worry about not getting any responses yet...the day is still young.

RxnMan, thanks for all the great feedback. I completely agree with everything you said, but I didn't know about the MSAR book. (I will take a look at that.) The state schools I applied too were TX schools, but thats good for me. (Im a TX resident.) The NO schools I kind of took a chance on just because I heard they were having a hard time this year. (I think Tulane is private but I don't know if they perfer LA residents though.) Do you know if Georgetown and George Washington were good schools to apply to?

Oh yea, Mrdowntoearth,

thanks for the encouragement!

Alright,

I think your chances are really good. A 23 up to a 31 is a huge improvement! I think you should get in somewhere in Texas for sure.

APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY

your competitive, your gpa is low but is countered with a decent/good mcat score, also you have a solid graduate gpa which will help...your ec's are good too, you defs have a good chance but you need to apply early!!!! AS SOON AS U CAN!