Do you perform colposcopy for negative PAP if partner is HPV+?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seasurfer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a question in Kaplan Qbank step 3, and have been looking for answer all over the place.

The question is do you perform colposcopy if a PAP smear is negative, but the woman tell you that her partner is HPV+?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a question in Kaplan Qbank step 3, and have been looking for answer all over the place.

The question is do you perform colposcopy if a PAP smear is negative, but the woman tell you that her partner is HPV+?

No.

Thanks for answering,

so in a 21 year old patient, with negative pap smear, but a positive HPV partner, what would you advice her to do next?

Members don't see this ad :)
Use condoms...same as with anyone else.

New guideline do no paps until age 21. If partner HPV positive no action unless physical exam shows something concerning.

Thanks a lot Dr. Evans.

I think Kaplan book is outdated.

Don't the new guidelines say to do a pap at 21 OR 3 years after onset of sexual activity?

What about doing an HPV DVA test?

There's a lot of remission even with positive paps and/or DNA in that age group.

According to these guidelines a repeat cytology and HPV DNA testing, without colposcopy, is appropriate for ASC-US in a 21 yr old. I can only imagine that colposcopy would not be recommended for a normal pap result in this age group.