Do you need CASPer score to be sent in order to be complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pprbckwrtr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! So 3 schools I'm applying to require a CASPer score to be sent to the school. Does this mean you are not marked complete till the score is received? Does this not delay many people's applications since it takes approximately 1 month to process and score the CASPer test?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. I saw that NYMC said they will review your app as long as you are scheduled to take a test / waiting for your results. Not sure how other schools do it though, but I would imagine if everyone takes the CASPer late, and all apps are therefore delayed by ~ 1 month, it shouldn't really hurt you too bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the school. I saw that NYMC said they will review your app as long as you are scheduled to take a test / waiting for your results. Not sure how other schools do it though, but I would imagine if everyone takes the CASPer late, and all apps are therefore delayed by ~ 1 month, it shouldn't really hurt you too bad.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing! I can't imagine that too many people anticipated the need for an early CASPer date before applying as this is the first year many of the schools are doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me for the vent, but why dont people get the instructions from each of the schools they intend to apply to before the apply?

https://www.nymc.edu/media/schools-...17-18NYMCSecondaryApplicationInstructions.pdf

View attachment 220895
I am amazed and appalled at the number of people who have hundreds and even 1000s of hours of research experience, who give presentations and have publications, but yet seem incapable of going to a school's website and looking at simple instructions.

Ditto the people who have access to MSAR, yet make their school lists based on USN&WR!

Reactions: 5 users
To be fair, one of the schools I am applying to that is using CASPer literally has no info about it anywhere on their website, so that could be why OP is confused. I'm hoping they send info about it when they send their secondary, though, so I guess it just takes some patience.

Reactions: 1 users
I know for a fact that, for Rosalind Franklin, the CASPer is mandatory, and they won't look at your app until they get your score.

Also University of Vermont comes to mind, also mandatory. There's a thread somewhere on here with good discussion (and lots of hate).

Reactions: 1 user
Check with the individual school as some like NYMC will process applications as long as they have confirmation you are signed up for the test. Others like UVM require a completed CASPer for your file to be complete.

My question seems to have irritated many people. I apologize. Thanks all for the info!

I know for a fact that, for Rosalind Franklin, the CASPer is mandatory, and they won't look at your app until they get your score.
How do you know that RF won't look at your app without a CASPer score? I couldn't find this on their website.

How do you know that RF won't look at your app without a CASPer score? I couldn't find this on their website.
"All applicants to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University are required to complete a CASPer assessment to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory. Please go to https://takeCASPer.com/ to sign up and reserve a test."

Take the casper as soon as you can, submit all of your secondaries, and at that point it's out of your hands. Each school should clearly give you instructions about their use of the exam. Everyone else has to wait for their score too. Nothing to worry about.