Do you need a niche outside of academia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tube

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During fellowship training there is a lot of emphasis on the importance of creating a clinical or research niche for yourself if you want to stay in academics. What are the benefits of having a defined niche outside of academia? Is there a significant benefit in marketing yourself as a budding expert in ILD, PH or ICU quality improvement when you are searching for an employed position in a large health system or a partnership in a private practice? For those of you outside of academia, what has your experience been?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. If you want to do PH, I'll make sure you get all those patients because I hate it. Though it's really better to be generalist with certain specific interests when looking for a job I think.

Reactions: 1 user
The best non-academic niche to have is to be useful, don't be the guy who says I can't Bronch/Cath/surgerize this will sign off. Even if outside your area or comfort zone, have a suggestion on next steps,

Reactions: 1 users