Do you have to reply to those "confirmation emails"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestcoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the programs sent you confirmation emails for the interviews, is it bad form not to reply respond?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure someone'll come in after me and say that they "were just raised to send replies to confirmation emails and it's just a matter of courtesy", but do you really think that a program coordinator, who is busy scheduling interviews for up to several hundred applicants, as well as doing a lot of daily administrative work for the residency program and medical students, is going to take the time and effort to mark down who replies and who doesn't reply to confirmation emails?

That's not the point. Yes it's bad form to ignore them, so reply. It takes less time to do that than to post your question on here. Just a simple, "Thank you. Looking forward to my interview." is fine.

Called it

Call whatever you want. Go ahead and take your chances being rude out on the interview trail. If you're good enough a candidate to get away with it, then congrats on some good grades. With so many rude people in medicine, why not be polite?

Call whatever you want. Go ahead and take your chances being rude out on the interview trail. If you're good enough a candidate to get away with it, then congrats on some good grades. With so many rude people in medicine, why not be polite?

So if they don't reply to your thank you, are they being rude to you? At some point the chain of communication must stop. If you say "thank you, looking forward to it" with your original reply to the offer, I don't see why you have to belabor the point.

no.

So if they don't reply to your thank you, are they being rude to you? At some point the chain of communication must stop. If you say "thank you, looking forward to it" with your original reply to the offer, I don't see why you have to belabor the point.

I'm in the coordinator group who doesn't care if you respond to my confirmation response. By the time your interview comes around, I won't remember how many emails we exchanged. There are far worse ways to be rude to a coordinator than not replying to the confirmation email.

I'm in the coordinator group who doesn't care if you respond to my confirmation response. By the time your interview comes around, I won't remember how many emails we exchanged. There are far worse ways to be rude to a coordinator than not replying to the confirmation email.

Thank you for ending this inconsequential argument

If you've gotten up to this point in life............I'm quite sure a personal decision regarding your reply can be quickly made w/o resorting to an argument in a forum.

I do not know how you were raised, but in my culture, when someone says thank you, it is bad form not to say you're welcome or otherwise acknowledge his/her appreciation. In fact, if the PC does not say you're welcome after I have painstakingly written a supplemental thank you note, in addition to my original thank you reply to the interview, then I will simply boycott the interview. No written or verbal notice. I will simply boycott the interview on moral high grounds. If they are good enough a program to get away with it, then congrats on some good cushiness. With so many rude people in medicine, why not be polite?
Your culture is f*cked up. That is all.

Thank you for ending this inconsequential argument

If you've gotten up to this point in life............I'm quite sure a personal decision regarding your reply can be quickly made w/o resorting to an argument in a forum.

I agree with you. I didn't think this was even an issue until I read about it here.

I did have a PC who asked to confirm her confirmation.

i'm bowing out of this "discussion." i stopped caring about 5 posts ago, and i'm long past this stage in my career. you guys do what you think is best for your situations.

I do not know how you were raised, but in my culture, when someone says thank you, it is bad form not to say you're welcome or otherwise acknowledge his/her appreciation. In fact, if the PC does not say you're welcome after I have painstakingly written a supplemental thank you note, in addition to my original thank you reply to the interview, then I will simply boycott the interview. No written or verbal notice. I will simply boycott the interview on moral high grounds. If they are good enough a program to get away with it, then congrats on some good cushiness. With so many rude people in medicine, why not be polite?

So if you feel the PC is being rude, and you promote being "polite," how is not showing up to the interview any less rude?

Please don't feed the troll. The discussion is long closed and kind of pointless...

So if you feel the PC is being rude, and you promote being "polite," how is not showing up to the interview any less rude?

SarcasmAlert.gif