Do You Have Kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do You Have Kids?

• Yes, multiple

Votes: 100 29.5%
  • Yes, one

Votes: 76 22.4%
  • Not yet, but planning to

Votes: 88 26.0%
  • No, not planning to

Votes: 45 13.3%
  • No, undecided

Votes: 30 8.8%

• Total voters
No children and no plans on it either. I don't want to have to bring a car seat and cheerios for every trip to the grocery store. I like children but I like being able to give them back and walk away even more.

The biggest problem I think is finding a woman who doesn't want children. So far, no luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I have two and like cabinbuilder mine are 17 (girl) and 14 (boy).

Somehow I just don't feel old enough to have my daughter graduating high school the same year I'm done with residency. She is a delight in every way. Smart, pretty, sweet, kind, thoughtful, and genuinely feels bad when she asks us to spend money on her because she knows this journey has been financially tight.

My son, however.... there are days I totally understand why some animals eat their young.

I hear ya Shy, I can't figure out how my son is graduating high school next year. The time is just gone. I think more so how amazing it is he lived to be 4 without me killing him, let alone 17 but all is cool now.

My daughter is the younger one and there is a reason I call her Evil Diva. She is good at heart but can turn on you so quickly. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually been surprised at the number of guys that really want kids. It does limit the dating pool somewhat.

Now that I think about it, many of my guy friends want kids and most have them. I am 27 and the only one who doesn't have a steady girl or kids. Every woman I have been out with starts chirping about marriage and kids and settling down. The last thing they see is cloud of dust and thirty bucks on the table for dinner.

I've actually been surprised at the number of guys that really want kids. It does limit the dating pool somewhat.

Now that I think about it, many of my guy friends want kids and most have them. I am 27 and the only one who doesn't have a steady girl or kids. Every woman I have been out with starts chirping about marriage and kids and settling down. The last thing they see is cloud of dust and thirty bucks on the table for dinner.

Sounds like y'all should hang out...

No children and no plans on it either. I don't want to have to bring a car seat and cheerios for every trip to the grocery store. I like children but I like being able to give them back and walk away even more.

The biggest problem I think is finding a woman who doesn't want children. So far, no luck.

Lets hang out! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Just one for now. Girl - 16 months. I still want one more... not sure when. Husband's not totally on that bandwagon yet. :laugh:

Besides, my baby sister is having one soon and it would just be weird for me to start now.

My "baby" sister is 5 1/2 years younger than me, and her son is 2 years older than my daughter... it's not actually that weird, although I had similar thoughts prior to getting pregnant.

My baby sister is 11 yr younger than me. She is #7 and I am #2 so there is another sister and quite a few brothers in between--all but one has kids. I am the (happy, carefree) outlier.

Yes. Three. If things would have been easier, it could have been seven.

I had to work hard to get them, raise them, teach them, and the process never ends--it just continues to evolve in one way or another. I have had some moments with teens that made me question what the heck I was thinking; but I know I am truly blessed. Kids are funny. They keep you young, but also can, at times, add to premature aging. If I were not on the path I am right now, I'd adopt. But at this point, it's no the right thing. Kids are a huge investment of time, energy, money, you name it. If you are going to try to do your best at it, it just is. Of course it also helps if you have at least one that is pretty easy going. My last one only--easy going. I am convinced that genetics plays a huge part in terms of personality--of course not disregarding other factors.

Kids? Yea. I recommend them if you are ready, willing, and able to make and stay the course of commitment.

I have two and like cabinbuilder mine are 17 (girl) and 14 (boy).

Somehow I just don't feel old enough to have my daughter graduating high school the same year I'm done with residency. She is a delight in every way. Smart, pretty, sweet, kind, thoughtful, and genuinely feels bad when she asks us to spend money on her because she knows this journey has been financially tight.

My son, however.... there are days I totally understand why some animals eat their young.

Yep. Genetics. It can be a killer. Of course I think my kids are great as well; but for me, the first boy and girl were much harder to deal with than the last boy. And thank God. :) Funny. My youngest feels bady about money, while the other two seem to have no problem about asking. LOL

Baby Girl will be 2 in February. Honestly, I don't think I would have started this journey if she wasn't here. Children have a way of motivating greatness right out of you.

I have one.. Im 28, and he is 9.. do the math there.
When i turn thirty Im getting my tubes tied.... one is more than enough

I have one.. Im 28, and he is 9.. do the math there.
When i turn thirty Im getting my tubes tied.... one is more than enough

Out of pure curiosity, why wait if you're not planning on anymore in the next 2 years? I'd just say do it now.

Out of pure curiosity, why wait if you're not planning on anymore in the next 2 years? I'd just say do it now.

Just a thirtieth present. I was trying to hold out in case I met some one I wanted. However I doubt that will happen

Just a thirtieth present. I was trying to hold out in case I met some one I wanted. However I doubt that will happen

Oh ok so the decision on 1 child is not definitive. In that case I understand!

Premature sterilization is NEVER the answer.

If someone is going to do it in 2 years or now (which is what she was saying), what difference does it make if they KNOW that they don't want additional children? It saves them a whole lot of money that would be spent on contraception. I'm pretty sure my wife won't want to get her tubes tied until she's in her late thirties, but I can say when we know for certain we don't want anymore kids, I don't see any reason to delay it.

Oh ok so the decision on 1 child is not definitive. In that case I understand!

If someone is going to do it in 2 years or now (which is what she was saying), what difference does it make if they KNOW that they don't want additional children? It saves them a whole lot of money that would be spent on contraception. I'm pretty sure my wife won't want to get her tubes tied until she's in her late thirties, but I can say when we know for certain we don't want anymore kids, I don't see any reason to delay it.

Aw you are so cute, it's a joke. I think it would make a wonderful billboard. Next to the "child support $500/month? Vasectomy $500/once"

I guess it was a pretty dry joke... with no indication whatsoever that it was a joke. Well played I guess?

One 2yo WELL entrenched in her terrible twos.

I am saying right now, to those looking to hook-up. If a child is eventually born into this world because of Q's poll about children - the metaphysical irony (and the Terms of Service) demand that this child either have the initials S.D.N. or be given three middle names that spell S.D.N. You have been all warned. ;)

17yog
14yob
14yog
13yob
12yob
9yob
7yob

My teen-agers are proud of me...what an odd delight!

2 kids---boy 3yr, girl 1yr--- they are great would not change a thing.... they give me so much encouragement and any time I doubt myself they give me a reason to press on and get that "A"

so, to those of you WITH kids already at some point in your training-

I am contemplating A) deferring a year and starting med school with a 1 yr old or B) having 1st kid sometime during school (either summer after 1st yr or time off btw 2nd and 3rd yr). Financially it would probably be easier to go with B) since sig other will be finished grad school and (hopefully) employed by then, but I'm 30 so the clock is ticking. Also, our parents aren't getting any younger and they will be our primary support system, help w childcare, etc. What would you do?

*edit- I'm the female so I have to gestate/lactate etc. would be so much easier if it were the other way around. . .

I am contemplating A) deferring a year and starting med school with a 1 yr old or B) having 1st kid sometime during school (either summer after 1st yr or time off btw 2nd and 3rd yr). Financially it would probably be easier to go with B) since sig other will be finished grad school and (hopefully) employed by then, but I'm 30 so the clock is ticking. Also, our parents aren't getting any younger and they will be our primary support system, help w childcare, etc. What would you do?

*edit- I'm the female so I have to gestate/lactate etc. would be so much easier if it were the other way around. . .

LOL

I think it depends on what school you are going to. If you were at my school I'd say ttc now and have the baby during first year. That way you have the summer between first and second and by the time you get to third year your kid won't be keeping you up all night every night (unless you are SUPER lucky)...

Taking time off between 2nd and 3rd year- Do you mean taking an extra month-ish to stay home with a newborn and losing an elective or do you mean getting pregnant in the middle/end of second year and taking an entire year?
-Either way, I would not want to be pregnant OR have a newborn while studying for Step. Unless you really like torture :)

Whatever advice you get on here or anywhere else, remember you are the one who has to actually deal with whatever decision you make so do what is right for you. It's been said repeatedly, there is NO right time to have kids.

I'm married with no kids, nor plan do we plan to ever have any. The hubs is planing to get snipped sometime in the near future, so soon we'll be in that 'cannot have any' category. I think it's pretty awesome.

I'd start with a 1 year old. Kids come with their own personalities and while it is easier to sit and study while nursing versus caring for a 1 yr old, it's hard to be away from your nursling all day (at least it would be for me). 3rd yr is notoriously difficult. I think it would be easier to swing with an older child.

I would not start school with a new born. By 1 yr you're in the groove of being the mom and the nursing part is generally done. If you don't have a child yet, you will not understand the FATIGUE you have during the first trimester of pregnancy - it can be debilitating. Plus you never know if you will be vomiting all day every day, pre term labor, bed rest, delivery complications, recovery time, etc.

There is no break between 2nd and 3rd year. You finish 2nd year, take the boards and start rotations.

I started medical school at 32 with a 5yr old and a 2 yr old. DON"T NOT TRY TO DO BOTH. Get past that first year. Child can go to grandparents/daycare and you can schedule your study time. They will not remember you being gone and you can get done while they are young.

Last edited:
I'll be 27 in January and I'm six months pregnant with our first, a baby girl due in April...I'll be applying to med school next cycle. We found out about a month before Fall semester began, and proceeded with the most difficult full-time semester of my life, compounded by my full time job I held on to until mid-November.

The exhaustion of the first trimester was nearly debilitating, I cried often, and the pregnancy brain made me feel like an incompetent fool. I had some morning sickness, but some VERY supportive professors, and a seat near the door. I couldn't handle my research lab - everything made me sick, but I did manage to cling to my 4.0.

The hubby and I figured there is no "ideal time" and decided to go for it; after all, I have to learn to balance it all somehow. We hope to have 3 or 4. How many we end up with will depend on how the next year goes; maybe even have #2 before med school starts. Being pregnant has been the most wonderful experience of my life. Feeling my little girl growing and moving is amazing :love: and gives me crazy motivation to continue pursuing this medical dream of mine.

Good luck to all the parents, soon-to-be or hopeful parents out there!

Many of you say that you don't plan to have kids. Many of you never planned to go to medical school either. :smuggrin:

Planning is not conducive with children. You'll see. :)

Planning is not conducive with children. You'll see. :)

This. Lol

As I've mentioned, we have one, almost 3. We're probably about to start trying for #2, which will come about halfway through the first semester. Thankfully, we'll be living very near my wife's family.