Do you guys think it is good idea to self teach Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColumbiaOrtho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a sophomore and graduating in 2019. I was thinking of start studying for DAT from this month (March) until winter of my junior year to get myself prepared enough to take DAT (Since I'm kind of stupid and a slow learner, I would like to have as much time as possible to prepare myself for DAT). I feel like I'm prepared enough to start studying for Chem, OChem, RC, QR, PAT. However, I am a bit concerned about Bio section. I've only taken cell biology, and am planning to self-teach the rest of the sections, such as botany, zoology, genetics, etc. My question is, do Cliff's notes and Feralis notes cover most of the biology topics on DAT? Do you guys think self-teaching the topics without actually having taken the courses is a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I am have the same concern. I am a freshmen in college and want to go to dental school. I need suggestions on how to study for DAT. I am also a slow learner.

I think you should at least take Genetics. Everything else can be self taught relatively easily, but genetics/molecular biology is abstract material.

That's a long time, I think this strategy can do more harm than good. Once you start the fall semester you will be busy with classes and a lot of what you studied over the spring/summer will be forgotten. Take it at the end of the summer right before your fall classes; that gives you a little more than 3 months of solid, class-free studying. That should be enough time for a slower learner. As far as upper level bio classes, they can only help you, but they're not at all necessary. Most of the info you'll need to know that wasn't covered in gen bio can be learned from the recommended resources on this site like Feralis, cliffs, destroyer and bootcamp.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think self-teaching assuming you've taken at least the intro biology courses is very doable. The biology section on the DAT never gets very advanced or detailed, it's usually surface level stuff that was covered in intro courses. I really don't think background coursework in the specifics (plant bio, ecology, genetics, zoology, etc.) is necessary for learning at all - it just makes the review process a little easier.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm currently a sophomore and graduating in 2019. I was thinking of start studying for DAT from this month (March) until winter of my junior year to get myself prepared enough to take DAT (Since I'm kind of stupid and a slow learner, I would like to have as much time as possible to prepare myself for DAT). I feel like I'm prepared enough to start studying for Chem, OChem, RC, QR, PAT. However, I am a bit concerned about Bio section. I've only taken cell biology, and am planning to self-teach the rest of the sections, such as botany, zoology, genetics, etc. My question is, do Cliff's notes and Feralis notes cover most of the biology topics on DAT? Do you guys think self-teaching the topics without actually having taken the courses is a good idea?

The biology section is like AP bio/intro bio course at a university but slightly more detailed. I honestly think that self-teaching yourself bio shouldn't be an issue

cliff notes and feralis's notes basically covered everything on the bio section of the DAT

Reactions: 1 user
The biology section is like AP bio/intro bio course at a university but slightly more detailed. I honestly think that self-teaching yourself bio shouldn't be an issue

cliff notes and feralis's notes basically covered everything on the bio section of the DAT
Thank you!