Do you examine your ICU patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.CCM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys physically examine your ICU patients daily?

If so, what type of physical exam do you actually do?

I’m asking because I have attendings that maybe just enter the room to do vent changes and some do a full cardiologist physical exam head to toe and rolling the patient daily and some don’t enter the room at all.

In forming my own practice as a fellow, I typically examine my patients but certainly not as thoroughly as I did as a resident.

Should we as physicians be examining our ICU patients head to toe daily on rounds, should it be focused?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. I hit the major "stethoscope organs". Check for edema. See if they are responsive and will follow commands. Minimal neuro exam: pupils (and sometimes pain response).

Otherwise it's on a patient to patient basis if I do more.

Just don't ever ever ever document an exam you didn't do.

You don't need the exam to bill CCT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Neuro: Pupils, response to stim (and how much), or if they are awake, strength and tone left versus right. Gag and cough presence if I know they have neuro injury
CV: Sounds, pulses, cap refill
Resp: Retractions or if intubated, work of breathing, sounds
Abd: Level of firmness, level of distention, pain
Ext: Pulses, edema (though best place is chest wall or sacral)
Skin: incisions, ostomy sites

That's the general, unless the patient has something specific that needs more. I do it not for billing, but more for CYA and the occasional random pickup (ie the 15 year who had a stroke with a negative ECHO 1 week ago, but now has a diastolic murmur)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do, and to a similar extent to those reported above.
Tend to focus more on areas of concern (e.g.: more in-depth neuro exam if stroke/concern for stroke)

Would hope someone would do the same for me if I ever end up on the receiving end of treatment

I think there is more "cred" established when RNs/RTs/family/patients see that attention is being paid.

Each and every one. Even when I have house staff, before I sign anyone’s notes I examine the patient and speak to them (if they are not sedated). Not only is it good practice but if things go south, you don’t need to rely on someone else’s initial PE.

Reactions: 1 user