Do you call other store asking if they have a certain narcotic in stock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happens more and more when we are oos the person demands we call who-know-how-many other stores asking if they have a certain narcotic in stock, most rph sound offended when asked these things because I'm putting the ball in their court. I've now refused to call other stores on this (this gets me 'reported' more than anything) but I tell them that I dont call other stores to check narcotic stock due to risk of the danger involved such as robbery and that I'm not accusing them of anything but I have to apply this to everyone for fairness. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends.

Is it a regular that appears to be using it for a legitimate medical purpose? Then I would explain that to the other pharmacist at the other store that "I'm *actually* out" and ask if they have stock and could take care of the patient.

Is it some dude with an obviously sketchy script? Then you tell that person you aren't filling it for whatever reason and that you won't be calling around, either.

Reactions: 1 users
Just say you can call the nearest store in your chain. That's the max for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just fake dial yup no one has it, heres your script and go f*ck yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
... Just call and listen to the IVR options while pretending to talk to the pharmacy you dislike the most:

"Oh, you do have it?
Your wait time is 4 minutes?

I'll send them right over"

Reactions: 5 users
Even if you call, the other store will lie half the time and say "nope we don't have it" even though you can check their inventory lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Happens more and more when we are oos the person demands we call who-know-how-many other stores asking if they have a certain narcotic in stock, most rph sound offended when asked these things because I'm putting the ball in their court. I've now refused to call other stores on this (this gets me 'reported' more than anything) but I tell them that I dont call other stores to check narcotic stock due to risk of the danger involved such as robbery and that I'm not accusing them of anything but I have to apply this to everyone for fairness. Sorry.
So CVS's policy is that you never tell something that another store has it. I tell patients that we can't check. However, it is a regular and I like them, I will call the closest CVS and check. All the pharmacist in my area know each other and we are on good terms. I would never send someone to another store unless I trust them.

If regular customer, we'll call local stores in chain, sometimes even local competitors (in case of rare drug, on back order, etc). If someone is looking for a particular manufacturer of a controlled substance, I don't budge. Tell them we nor anyone in our chain carries it (assuming one of our non preferred manufacturers) and they should check elsewhere.

Im a Pharmacist in an ED and I called the 24 hour store to make sure they had liquid oxycodone for a guy with throat cancer. Literally only time Ive done that tho

So CVS's policy is that you never tell something that another store has it. I tell patients that we can't check. However, it is a regular and I like them, I will call the closest CVS and check. All the pharmacist in my area know each other and we are on good terms. I would never send someone to another store unless I trust them.
why is this? why would vs have a policy that would potentially take business away? it is not like they actually care about health and well being.

why is this? why would vs have a policy that would potentially take business away? it is not like they actually care about health and well being.
Because it has leady directly to robberies. Someone calls in and ask if you have oxy in stock next thing you know you have a gun to your face. CVS doesn't care about us or the patient but they can't have people stealing their narcotics.

Because it has leady directly to robberies. Someone calls in and ask if you have oxy in stock next thing you know you have a gun to your face. CVS doesn't care about us or the patient but they can't have people stealing their narcotics.
gotcha - makes sense - but doesn't just about every druggie know every pharmacy is "usually" going to have plenty of oxy in stock?

gotcha - makes sense - but doesn't just about every druggie know every pharmacy is "usually" going to have plenty of oxy in stock?
If you were really desperate, would you rob the bank that usually has money or the one you know has fat stacks of Benjamins?

Im a Pharmacist in an ED and I called the 24 hour store to make sure they had liquid oxycodone for a guy with throat cancer. Literally only time Ive done that tho

I’ve done this looking for hydrocodone/apap or oxycodone elixir for kiddos. I always apologize profusely and am super thankful if they take the time to look and super understanding if they don’t feel comfortable giving me the info over the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I’ve got a kid who takes an rx for adhd. Occasionally the pharmacy we usually use and where the doc e-prescribes to is out/unable to fill. So I need the doc to transmit a new script to somewhere that does have it. Only once I was told that the pharmacy “can’t” tell me where I should ask the doctor to resend, other times not a problem to find out that branch x down the street can do.

My question is this: why would it be better from a security standpoint for me to be the one calling around asking about controlled substance stock? Would a pharmacist be more willing to disclose to rando patient me than to another pharmacist? Or is it just more about the hassle/time?

My store rarely dispenses oxy, so we don't have a lot in stock. However, there are stores in my district that might have 5x the quantity in stock. I have floated at the CVS in the crappy neighbors in my city and they dispense more hard narcotics in a day than my home store in a week.

My store rarely dispenses oxy, so we don't have a lot in stock. However, there are stores in my district that might have 5x the quantity in stock. I have floated at the CVS in the crappy neighbors in my city and they dispense more hard narcotics in a day than my home store in a week.
when i worked retail a decade ago my store would always have
30 x 100 oxy/apap 5
30 x 100 oxy 5
30 x 100 oxy 10
and each strength of oxycontin 20-30 bottles
40 x 100 methadone 5 and 10
3 x 500 vicodin

ya - guess what - after I quit - we were robbed twice within 1 month

So I’ve got a kid who takes an rx for adhd. Occasionally the pharmacy we usually use and where the doc e-prescribes to is out/unable to fill. So I need the doc to transmit a new script to somewhere that does have it. Only once I was told that the pharmacy “can’t” tell me where I should ask the doctor to resend, other times not a problem to find out that branch x down the street can do.

My question is this: why would it be better from a security standpoint for me to be the one calling around asking about controlled substance stock? Would a pharmacist be more willing to disclose to rando patient me than to another pharmacist? Or is it just more about the hassle/time?
It's more about hassle/time.