Do the programs mixed with DO students prepare you for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guac&Chips

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get an idea of which schools I'd prefer going to. From what I've read, AZPOD and Des Moines take the classes alongside DO students. Aren't the board exams different? Would the material you learn in the DO classes be less relevant to podiatry board exams? Or do the DO classes teach the same material as classes with podiatry only students?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am trying to get an idea of which schools I'd prefer going to. From what I've read, AZPOD and Des Moines take the classes alongside DO students. Aren't the board exams different? Would the material you learn in the DO classes be less relevant to podiatry board exams? Or do the DO classes teach the same material as classes with podiatry only students?

Would appreciate any feedback. I am interested in AZPOD for multiple reasons, but just want to make sure taking DO classes would not make more difficult for no reason.
What do you mean taking DO classes?

Well, I mean that you take classes like gross anatomy with DO students. So for example, would taking gross anatomy with DO students have the same content as a gross anatomy class at a podiatry school without DO integration?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I mean that you take classes like gross anatomy with DO students. So for example, would taking gross anatomy with DO students have the same content as a gross anatomy class at a podiatry school without DO integration?
Only a person who has been at both schools would know, I guess.

I don't think you would necessarily learn less or more just because you are taking classes with DOs. These classes that we take together are sciences like anatomy, biochem, genetics and such. We are not taking any other classes that are specific to only DOs like OMM or rural medicine.

It is hard to assess also because every DO school differs in the amount of material, hardness of material, how tests are delivered and what kinds of details they ask on the tests. Some DO students state here on SDN that their averages are like 70%, while other schools have upper 80s and low 90s as averages. So there are some variations among all schools MD, DO or DPM.

Personally, I prefer taking classes with DOs and others like MSAs. In our anatomy labs, we have MSAs as TAs who are second years and they know good amount of info to help us learn during lab hours.

Learning alongside DOs is only a benefit for us and for them. I don't know if it affects board scores, but my schools board scores are the highest in the nation among DO and DPM programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you cover the same content as a podiatric medicine specific school only.

Course outcomes are dictated by boards and spelled out down to the topic.

They would not combine professions if the course did not cover both DO and DPM board objectives.

Reactions: 1 user
Going by numbers alone it doesn't seem like DO integration has any bearing on DPM board pass rates for any school. Not a student yet but the mantra I've heard fromcurrent students at Midwestern, Western, and DMU is that studying the DO curriculum actually over-prepares you for the Podiatry boards. You certainly cover more material, and these programs allege that you'll cover it better and in more detail.

Even in the cases where the DO/MD school is separate from the Pod school, the curriculum is often taught by the same professors with the same or nearly the same lecture/slides, and exams. Of course, they minus some classes like Osteopathic Manipulation and replace it with a class like Podiatric Medicine or Podiatric Practice, etc.

Personally, I prefer taking classes with DOs and others like MSAs. In our anatomy labs, we have MSAs as TAs who are second years and they know good amount of info to help us learn during lab hours.
What are MSAs?
...my schools board scores are the highest in the nation among DO and DPM programs
Is that Midwestern?

Last edited:
Going by numbers alone it doesn't seem like DO integration has any bearing on DPM board pass rates for any school. Not a student yet but the mantra I've heard form current students at Midwestern, Western, and DMU is that studying the DO curriculum actually over-prepares you for the Podiatry boards. You certainly cover more material, and these programs allege that you cover it better and in more detail.

What are MSAs?

Is that Midwestern?
MSA are Master of Science in Anatomy students. It's like SMP degree for some students who apply to DO or DPM program after MSA completion.

I am at DMU.

I am not saying there is a direct link between high scores and taking classes with DO students. DMU has great reputation and great board scores and residency placement among all DO and DPM programs.

Even in the cases where the DO/MD school is separate from the Pod school, the curriculum is often taught by the same professors with the same or nearly the same lecture/slides, and exams. Of course, they minus some classes like Osteopathic Manipulation and replace it with a class like Podiatric Medicine or Podiatric Practice, etc.
Sciences are taught by PhDs, DPM specific classes by DPMs, and DO specific classes are by DOs.

Midwestern student here. We tend to learn more than we have to for basic science classes and we all learn the same material for the most part for our podiatry classes. I have talked to our upper classman and they all said they were very prepared for board with the integrated classes. I like to be over prepared personally. I cannot comment about what the podiatry schools that aren't integrated have to learn and the depth but I'm assuming they learn what they need to to be successful for board and their careers.

Reactions: 4 users
At a podiatric medical program with no DO integration.

We do fine. Faculty are excellent and leaders in their field.

@de Ribas just really likes DMU.

Doesn't mean other programs suck.

At a podiatric medical program with no DO integration.

We do fine. Faculty are excellent and leaders in their field.

@de Ribas just really likes DMU.

Doesn't mean other programs suck.
Other programs do not suck, I am sure. Never even tried to hint that other programs suck.

Yes. I like my school. I do not know other schools, I am sure they are great as well. Other school I visited for interview was Scholl and I was also impressed with everything.

Are there people in your masters that apply for DMU? I would assume most go for the DO

MSA are Master of Science in Anatomy students. It's like SMP degree for some students who apply to DO or DPM program after MSA completion.

I am at DMU.

I am not saying there is a direct link between high scores and taking classes with DO students. DMU has great reputation and great board scores and residency placement among all DO and DPM programs.

How are apps overall this year? Are apps still down at all schools? I think last year there was less than 1k people applying to all schools

Yes. One was accepted couple weeks ago.

Couple others have applied, but haven't updated us where they are right now with it.

How are apps overall this year? Are apps still down at all schools? I think last year there was less than 1k people applying to all schools

upload_2018-11-12_17-41-13.jpeg

Regarding what Rami said-

-Balanced life style
-Cost
-Guaranteed surgery

This varies largely.

Most students who follow up with programs already have a mission to get in and ask very specific questions.

Then there are some who have no idea we even exist and would not apply regardless of what we say.
You have to cater your argument differently to each student you speak to. You cannot shotgun a selling point just to reach a quota.

Selling students on surgery and life style balance does not mean we will get quality applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Numbers for 2018 were slightly higher than 2017 numbers. Not a huge rise, but at least these numbers are not going down.

I am not sure of current numbers. Haven't heard positive or negative comments yet.

Honestly, I dont put much value into app numbers. I think what is most important if there is an applicant pool with better quality. Even if app numbers stay the same but more people with higher stats apply, it is better in my opinion. If people genuinely prefer to go to podiatry even if they have MD or DO stats, that is going to be a good sign that podiatry is attractive.

Reactions: 4 users

Would appreciate any feedback. I am interested in AZPOD for multiple reasons, but just want to make sure taking DO classes would not make more difficult for no reason.
A little late to the party, but the knock on schools that are integrated has been that they over-prepare students for boards Part I and under-prepare students for podiatry rotations. As an AZPod graduate, I have seen a few students be underprepared for podiatry rotations, especially clerkships. It really depends on which rotations you get during third year and has less to do with DO integration in my opinion though. I think the integration is a good thing

Reactions: 5 users