Do test scores matter for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently a PGY1, planning to take Step 3 in a few weeks. Does Step 3 score matter for fellowship placements? Does it come up at all in the process, or is it truly just pass it and you're good to go?

Similarly, do other board scores matter? Whether earlier Steps or RITE scores from the neuro years?

Members don't see this ad.

Doubt Step 3 matters -- maybe at high end academic institutions. Did not come up in my fellowship interviews.

RITE scores are no longer reported to fellowship programs via Match. They still may ask for them though (happened to a co-resident of mine).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know rite scores matters a bit for interventional pain from neuro applicants. Not much, but definitely- there’s a post on this.

Other fellowships- I’ve never seen it asked.

Reactions: 1 user
As the above poster mentioned ; heard it matters only for pain.

Reactions: 1 user
No one cares about STEP scores for fellowship, even at the most academic places - to my knowledge. Most interns are studying the minimum amount to feel comfortable enough to pass STEP 3, but not much more, there isn't enough time.

In the SF match application which includes NCC and I think neuro-onc there was a place to report your RITE/in training exam scores, but you don't have to. Thats the only other field other than pain where I've seen it asked.

How about for interventional neurology fellowship? My step 1 and 2 are not the best (220-229 range for both).