do surgery clerkships sooner than later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in surgery and was wondering how that will affect the order that I should take my clerkships. If I do my surgery rotations earlier, I won't know anything, but I'll be fresh and full of energy. If I do them later, I may be worn out, but I'll know what I'm doing? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
Later isn't always better because I expect much higher level of practice from the later folks than the early folks. Order really doesn't matter too much and in most cases, it's out of your hands.
njbmd:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes right down to it, it doesn't really matter. Your enthusiasm and work ethic will show through no matter what part of the year.

In the past, I have recommended that future surgeons take the clerkship later in the year or at the very least after Medicine. Although I continue to think that is optimal, as a resident I expect much more out of my students later in the year. Therefore, my evaluations tend to reflect my expectations. I think if you could take Medicine right before Christmas and Surgery right after Christmas then you would be very prepared for surgery and continue to have the enthusiasm for it.

Thank you everyone for all your advice!

Originally posted by dr.evil
In the past, I have recommended that future surgeons take the clerkship later in the year or at the very least after Medicine.

That's what I'm doing. I started off with Medicine, and I have Sugery over Christmastime.