DO students looking at surgical sub specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You shall know the Truth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone working toward a surgical subspecialty in 3rd year? Let me know how it’s going.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, just your exp with spending time with the team of interest. How do they like DOs, anything else you want to share. I am all for DOs doing specialty surgery. I want to support others that want to do similar things as I do.

No, just your exp with spending time with the team of interest. How do they like DOs, anything else you want to share. I am all for DOs doing specialty surgery. I want to support others that want to do similar things as I do.

The programs I'm aware of are all going to stay pretty DO-centric. Another observation is that you definitely don't necessarily need a 250/700 to be competitive, although it can help, because they are huge into the fit of the applicants. These programs are smaller they are like little residency families and one bad egg can cause problems for a number of years. This means they will often give looks at people with scores that are slightly less than stellar in search of the perfect fit. Now of course some programs are very number's heavy, and by "slightly less than stellar" I don't mean 400s-low 500s, but you can be in the running with a high end 500s-650s score if the rest of your app is in line.

Research is also becoming a much bigger factor to a lot of programs because of the merger.

There is also a luck component as well unfortunately.

Reactions: 3 users
The programs I'm aware of are all going to stay pretty DO-centric. Another observation is that you definitely don't necessarily need a 250/700 to be competitive, although it can help, because they are huge into the fit of the applicants. These programs are smaller they are like little residency families and one bad egg can cause problems for a number of years. This means they will often give looks at people with scores that are slightly less than stellar in search of the perfect fit. Now of course some programs are very number's heavy, and by "slightly less than stellar" I don't mean 400s-low 500s, but you can be in the running with a high end 500s-650s score if the rest of your app is in line.

Research is also becoming a much bigger factor to a lot of programs because of the merger.

Thats why I am trying for at least 12 interviews. There is no practical reason for me to need that many, but you just can't ignore bad luck, it happens. Aways are hard work tho, especially the whole evaluation of 'fit,' being on all the time is rough. Worth it for the IV, but still rough. Note that I am not a surgical sub specialty.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree, working hard to make connections and get to know the residents. They are like little families.