DO Students: Know Anything about COMSAE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While randomly checking out the NBOME page, I came across some info about "COMSAE (Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Self-Assessment Examination)".

This appears to be the osteopathic equivalent of the NBME practice exams. This is the first of I have heard of this; I was curious if anyone knew anything else about it. According to the website, the Level I practice exam will be available starting this Monday. I don't see any cost listed. This might turn out to be a useful way to gauge preparedness specifically for COMLEX.

The announcement is here: http://www.nbome.org/comsae/index.html

Members don't see this ad.

They're probably a rehash of the 3 100 Qs sample exams the NBOME sells to assess preparedness.

Thanks so much for posting this informatmation., I've already registered for Step 1 and wouldn't have looked at the site again if you hadn't posted this. I'm definitely going to take it before I take Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess the test is now available for purchase for $50 from the same website I posted earlier. http://www.nbome.org/comsae/index.html

I will probably end up taking it at some point...

The NBOME people are the biggest copy cats I've ever seen.

They FINALLY realized that self-assessement tests are easy cash-cows so they create one called the COMSAE. Why didn't any of those geniuses think of this a few years ago? Why are they ALWAYS behind?

Of course they wouldn't charge $45 b/c that would be too similar to those "MDs." And of course why charge $40 when you could rip DO students off at $50! (don't even get me started with the COMLEX PE)

Having said that, I would do every and all available COMSAE practice tests if they're anything like the NBME practice tests...:D

The NBOME people are the biggest copy cats I've ever seen.

They FINALLY realized that self-assessement tests are easy cash-cows so they create one called the COMSAE. Why didn't any of those geniuses think of this a few years ago? Why are they ALWAYS behind?

Of course they wouldn't charge $45 b/c that would be too similar to those "MDs." And of course why charge $40 when you could rip DO students off at $50! (don't even get me started with the COMLEX PE)

Having said that, I would do every and all available COMSAE practice tests if they're anything like the NBME practice tests...:D

:thumbup: So true. The only reason I'm interested is that there's not many sources of COMLEX specific questions and everyone says there is a "difference" between COMLEX and USMLE questions...exactly what the difference is, no one seems quite sure...;)

I wouldn't bother.

Just prepare for the USMLE and use the NBME's. The OMT on COMLEX is a joke.

I wouldn't bother.

Just prepare for the USMLE and use the NBME's. The OMT on COMLEX is a joke.

I would tend to disagree with this unless you're really broke. The questions on COMSAE were very different than anything I've seen on UWorld or any of the NBMEs (or the previously released 200 NBOME questions, I might add.) I guess I'll find out on Thursday exactly how similar COMSAE is to the real deal, but I would have hated to walk in Thursday expecting UWorld + OMT and gotten a COMSAE style test. It's well worth $50 to minimize any potential surprises, IMHO.

Has anyone here Taken the COMSAE and the real COMLEX? what is the correspondence interms of score..forsome reason I didnt do as well as I expected on the COMSAE especially compared to the other school diagnostics (kalpan etc..) I was just wondering if anyone had an insight or similar experience.
Thanks!

+1; As noted above, this test was a very different animal than the other diagnostics I've done and my score showed it. Maybe this test is a zebra, or maybe COMLEX really is different enough that USMLE-style prognostic tests are not good predictors of performance. I guess we'll find out...

I would tend to disagree with this unless you're really broke. The questions on COMSAE were very different than anything I've seen on UWorld or any of the NBMEs (or the previously released 200 NBOME questions, I might add.) I guess I'll find out on Thursday exactly how similar COMSAE is to the real deal, but I would have hated to walk in Thursday expecting UWorld + OMT and gotten a COMSAE style test. It's well worth $50 to minimize any potential surprises, IMHO.

+1; As noted above, this test was a very different animal than the other diagnostics I've done and my score showed it. Maybe this test is a zebra, or maybe COMLEX really is different enough that USMLE-style prognostic tests are not good predictors of performance. I guess we'll find out...

Can you elaborate on how are the COMSAE style Qs different to say UW and NBMEs? thanks

Took the COMLEX last Thursday and I must say that it was quite similar to the COMSAE. I would highly recommend taking the COMSAE b/c the level of difficulty and the question style are identical to the real thing.

Can you elaborate on how are the COMSAE style Qs different to say UW and NBMEs? thanks

I felt like the subject matter emphasized was very different. Lots more anatomy (no surprise), behavioral science esp. drugs of abuse, and clinical management type questions esp. obstetrical on the COMSAE. Much less emphasis on pathophys mechanisms where you have to put some basic science understanding together to puzzle out the answer and many more "you either know it or you don't" type questions. The path questions were relatively easy, and also relatively few; it was the other questions that were tough. Honestly, I felt like the many hours I've spent studying Goljan only helped with a meager handful of questions. A bit ironic, since he teaches at a DO school. ;)

Just my opinion, others may have felt differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like the subject matter emphasized was very different. Lots more anatomy (no surprise), behavioral science esp. drugs of abuse, and clinical management type questions esp. obstetrical on the COMSAE. Much less emphasis on pathophys mechanisms where you have to put some basic science understanding together to puzzle out the answer and many more "you either know it or you don't" type questions. The path questions were relatively easy, and also relatively few; it was the other questions that were tough. Honestly, I felt like the many hours I've spent studying Goljan only helped with a meager handful of questions. A bit ironic, since he teaches at a DO school. ;)

Just my opinion, others may have felt differently.

So how does anyone prepare for that? :confused:

So how does anyone prepare for that? :confused:

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses; I honestly don't think my advice would be much good to you. If you've got the dough and the time, I would suggest taking it yourself and seeing what you think. This will probably sound nuts, but I will say that after taking it I thumbed through a copy of FA for the Ob\Gyn Clerkship and found quite a few answers. (There were actually some that weren't even in there!) So I guess know everything for the obstetrics shelf and you should be fine. :rolleyes: I also did a much more extensive anatomy and behavioral science review than I had planned to. Hopefully this prep will pay off, I guess we'll find out.

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses; I honestly don't think my advice would be much good to you. If you've got the dough and the time, I would suggest taking it yourself and seeing what you think. This will probably sound nuts, but I will say that after taking it I thumbed through a copy of FA for the Ob\Gyn Clerkship and found quite a few answers. (There were actually some that weren't even in there!) So I guess know everything for the obstetrics shelf and you should be fine. :rolleyes: I also did a much more extensive anatomy and behavioral science review than I had planned to. Hopefully this prep will pay off, I guess we'll find out.

So clerkship study sources, huh?. Did you ever look at the OB/GYn pretests? trying to figure out if those might ask similar subject matter also.

Best wishes on your exam on thursday, do come back and tell us how similar in content etc was the real thing to the actual COMSAE. Thanks.

I've heard that there is a lot of limb anatomy /embryology on the Comlex, but not much other anatomy. Is that what you experienced on the Comsae?

So clerkship study sources, huh?. Did you ever look at the OB/GYn pretests? trying to figure out if those might ask similar subject matter.

Best wishes on your exam on thursday, do come back and tell us how similar in content etc was the real thing to the actual COMSAE. Thanks.

I haven't checked out pretest, I don't really want to go to far off the map trying to learn stuff that might be on the test at this point.

Thanks very much for the good wishes; good luck to you, too. I'll definitely report back about my experience. In the mean time, there is a post on our school forum from someone who took both if you're interested. You'll have to register, but if you do, here's the post.

I've heard that there is a lot of limb anatomy /embryology on the Comlex, but not much other anatomy. Is that what you experienced on the Comsae?

I don't recall any embryo, definitely some limb anatomy. Lots of spinal levels and some neuro.

I haven't checked out pretest, I don't really want to go to far off the map trying to learn stuff that might be on the test at this point.

Thanks very much for the good wishes; good luck to you, too. I'll definitely report back about my experience. In the mean time, there is a post on our school forum from someone who took both if you're interested. You'll have to register, but if you do, here's the post.

I don't recall any embryo, definitely some limb anatomy. Lots of spinal levels and some neuro.
Thanks very much. I'd also like to wish you good luck, you sound very well prepared. I had just heard know your bugs and drugs and omm for the comlex and limb anatomy. I appreciate your helpful information. Let us know how you think you did after taking the exam.:luck:

Good Luck to everyone out there taking the COMLEX in the next few weeks. I am taking mine June 12th. I have my last exam tomorrow and then it is BOARDS, BOARDS, BOARDS until the big day. I am planning on taking the COMSAE on Sunday. I was wondering how people have managed their time during the last couple of weeks.

I've been doing board review since about January. I was planning on studying 8-12, 12-1, 7ish-11ish pretty much everyday with a few days off. My original plan was to get thru 2 systems a day using FA and notes I've added to it throughout my review in the AM and afternoon and then do questions at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of how to stay focused, study strategies to make things stick and what to really focus on? Sorry for posting on this thread, but I didn't get much response on my others and I was hoping to get feedback from others studying for and who have already taken the COMLEX. Thanks!

Just took the COMLEX yesterday, and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There was waaaay more (easy) path on it then there was on the COMSAE, and the amount of OMM was about proportional. Probably about 70% of the OMM was very straightforward and easy, and the other 30% was asinine stuff about things we had never been taught. I don't know if that was a failing of our teacher or the test though. There wasn't a lot of straight up anatomy questions. The micro was a blessing, never thought I'd look forward to it. Even the things I didn't know were easy to get via process of elimination. Lots of Cardio Drugs, some of the neuro questions were bitchy, lots of brain stem and cranial nerve questions. I think I only got 1 sacral and 1 cranial question. Only 1 embryo question.

Overall, I'd say if you know your path fairly well, take your COMSAE score and add 15-20 points to it, as a much more significant portion of the test was path than on the COMSAE.

Just took the COMLEX yesterday, and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There was waaaay more (easy) path on it then there was on the COMSAE, and the amount of OMM was about proportional. Probably about 70% of the OMM was very straightforward and easy, and the other 30% was asinine stuff about things we had never been taught. I don't know if that was a failing of our teacher or the test though. There wasn't a lot of straight up anatomy questions. The micro was a blessing, never thought I'd look forward to it. Even the things I didn't know were easy to get via process of elimination. Lots of Cardio Drugs, some of the neuro questions were bitchy, lots of brain stem and cranial nerve questions. I think I only got 1 sacral and 1 cranial question. Only 1 embryo question.

Overall, I'd say if you know your path fairly well, take your COMSAE score and add 15-20 points to it, as a much more significant portion of the test was path than on the COMSAE.

Congrats on being done!

Thanks for giving feedback. How much of the OB/GYN or other clerkship like questions, that others seem to have seen on the COMSAE did you have on your actual exam if any? thanks.

There were several clinical type "what would you do next" questions, but for the most part, they were easy like Xray for fractures, MRI for soft tissue, or CT for Misc bone issues (i had a vertebral stenosis question I answered CT for, though I'm not sure if it's right).

Took COMLEX today...overall, I would agree with daveyjwin that it wasn't as bad as COMSAE. There were definitely some tough questions, but a whole lot of bread and butter neuro, pharm, micro, OMM and path mixed in to buffer them. There were a couple clinical management questions but nothing too bad - you could pretty much reason through them. I actually felt that some of the behavioral science questions were pretty tough - in several cases it was pretty hard to choose between two choices. In terms of subject matter and question style COMSAE was very representative, and the COMSAE interface is EXACTLY what you will see when you take your test.

Good luck!

For those of you who took the COMLEX. How did you feel about Cell Bio and Genetics. I know they aren't supposed to be emphasized much on COMLEX, but I was still planning on looking over the subjects and was just wonderng how much depth i should go into.

Thanks!

For those of you who took the COMLEX. How did you feel about Cell Bio and Genetics. I know they aren't supposed to be emphasized much on COMLEX, but I was still planning on looking over the subjects and was just wonderng how much depth i should go into.

Thanks!

I'm sure everyone's test is different, but I had several genetics questions. Inheritance and stuff like that, not so much molecular bio. Not really any pure cell bio, but maybe some mixed in with pathophys. I would focus on clinical aspects and important features of the common inherited disorders more so than memorizing stuff like the homeobox genes, leucine zippers, etc.

Took COMLEX today...overall, I would agree with daveyjwin that it wasn't as bad as COMSAE. There were definitely some tough questions, but a whole lot of bread and butter neuro, pharm, micro, OMM and path mixed in to buffer them. There were a couple clinical management questions but nothing too bad - you could pretty much reason through them. I actually felt that some of the behavioral science questions were pretty tough - in several cases it was pretty hard to choose between two choices. In terms of subject matter and question style COMSAE was very representative, and the COMSAE interface is EXACTLY what you will see when you take your test.

Good luck!

Congrats dragonwell!

are you also taking the USMLE?

Hey when you say clinical management questions do you mean the type where you are asked to diagnose followed by another question of drug of choice and another with second drug of choice?

thanks.

Congrats dragonwell!

are you also taking the USMLE?

Hey when you say clinical management questions do you mean the type where you are asked to diagnose followed by another question of drug of choice and another with second drug of choice?

thanks.

USMLE on 5/29 :eek:

There were some questions about what drugs would be indicated for certain conditions, but by clinical management I really meant questions like, "Pt has symptoms x, y, and z. What would be the best test to confirm your dx?" Or conversely, "You suspect pt has x. What would be the best screening test?"

USMLE on 5/29 :eek:

There were some questions about what drugs would be indicated for certain conditions, but by clinical management I really meant questions like, "Pt has symptoms x, y, and z. What would be the best test to confirm your dx?" Or conversely, "You suspect pt has x. What would be the best screening test?"

Thanks man,

That clarifies it a lot more.

Do you feel UW helped you substantially with your COMLEX? and of course not everyone gets the same exam, just curious if it helped or what in your prep, besides your first two years do you feel helped you most?

BTW break a leg with the USMLE!

Thanks man,

That clarifies it a lot more.

Do you feel UW helped you substantially with your COMLEX? and of course not everyone gets the same exam, just curious if it helped or what in your prep, besides your first two years do you feel helped you most?

BTW break a leg with the USMLE!

Well, UW definitely helped, but I hope it will help even more on Thursday. ;)

The style of the COMLEX questions was just a bit different. Hard to put my finger on it exactly, but I didn't have many of those moments that people seem to talk about after the USMLE where they say that they had many questions like UW...I can think of maybe one or two. Many were related, but just a little different...I know that's kind of ambiguous...it's almost like they were testing the same material, but emphasizing different aspects.

Things that really helped me, esp. vs. USMLE studying: don't blow off anatomy, behavioral, or OMM. There's a generous amount of OMM and these are really easy questions if you put some time into it. I don't think I had anything that wasn't covered in Savarese. For anatomy, I read Road Map Anatomy cover to cover and flagged important points and then went back with Netter and looked at plates of relevant anatomy. Didn't regret any of the time I spent on anatomy - I had lots of questions that asked about innervations, etc. that I probably wouldn't have known w/o spending this extra time. As I mentioned above, the behavioral was tricky IMO. While UW seems to focus a lot on the "quote" questions, on COMLEX there were lots of questions where you got a list of symptoms and had to come up with a diagnosis, and of course all the obvious stuff would be there, so you really had to know exactly what discriminates the different disorders from one another.

Thanks Dragonwell for taking the time to post specific answers to all our questions! I was wondering how you managed your time the last couple weeks before you took the COMLEX. I take mine June 12 and am just wondering how to manage my days.

Good luck on the USMLE,Dragonwell. You didn't feel that all of the information from Goljan was beneficial for the Comsae, what about the Comlex? Would FA have been enough to answer most of the questions on the Comlex?

Thanks Dragonwell for taking the time to post specific answers to all our questions! I was wondering how you managed your time the last couple weeks before you took the COMLEX. I take mine June 12 and am just wondering how to manage my days.

I think the general idea to go for concepts first and save the last couple weeks for memorization makes sense to me. In my case, I took the COMSAE kind of late - about 10 days before my test - and my performance breakdown took me by surprise. I had to modify my plan of focusing on FA to quickly get up to speed on weaknesses I didn't realize I had. (My final grade in our behavioral science course was a 96, but I got a "poor performance" on COMSAE.) I read BRS behavioral cover to cover, I also did a lot of anatomy. Luckily by the time I realized I had to change my plan, I had already pretty much made it through Goljan and FA at least once and some sections 2 or more times.

My last week I focused on all the mnemonics for micro, memorized equations, did BRS Micro and Pharm Cards a couple times, some packets of HY drug and anatomy "one-liners" put out by our school, all the margin notes in Goljan, hit certain pages I had flagged to memorize in FA, looked at chapman points, CS points, all the eponym orthopedic tests (Wright's test, Adison's test, etc.).
I also looked at slides of bugs and fungi from google and looked at pictures in Goljan and Robbins Path Atlas. Towards the end it was just making passes through material and trying to fill up short term memory. If I came to something I realized I really didn't understand, I might briefly look it up, but at a certain point, I felt like I was just trying to maintain the plateau I had worked up to until I walked in there and regurgitated it all.

Good luck on the USMLE,Dragonwell. You didn't feel that all of the information from Goljan was beneficial for the Comsae, what about the Comlex? Would FA have been enough to answer most of the questions on the Comlex?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that Goljan wasn't beneficial; you absolutely need the info from Goljan or another path source - there was a ton of basic path on my test, and goljan is a great source to learn this stuff. What I mean is that the little things Goljan points out and says "They like this question," or "Always on the test", weren't as highly represented on my COMLEX as they are in UW. My UW score was pegged when I was studying FA, but once I started going through Goljan hardcore, my score jumped 4% consistently and many tests much more. I think the reason was that the stuff Goljan draws your attention to overlaps with a lot of what UW tests, and hopefully from what people say, what the USMLE tests. From my experience, COMLEX seemed to be a little less hardcore about path than UW. Still though, I don't know if I'd say FA would be enough for COMLEX. I had a couple questions that weren't in FA or Goljan. I would say, though, that if it came down to a choice of only knowing Goljan backwards and forwards vs. doing a bit shorter path review and spending some more time on anatomy, behavioral, micro, OMM, and pharm, for COMLEX, I think the latter would be the way to go.

I have a question for all of you COMLEX vets ... how important were the images on your exam. The way some of the path professors act in my school every other question has a picture and if you can't break it down your screwed for that question. Is that the sense that you guys all got or is it more like the picture helps you come to the right answer but its not 100% necessary to come to the proper conclusion.
Thanks

I have a question for all of you COMLEX vets ... how important were the images on your exam. The way some of the path professors act in my school every other question has a picture and if you can't break it down your screwed for that question. Is that the sense that you guys all got or is it more like the picture helps you come to the right answer but its not 100% necessary to come to the proper conclusion.
Thanks

I only had a handful of path pictures, maybe 6 or 7. You only absolutely needed the picture for 2 questions that I can think of. In the rest of the cases, it was confirmatory/supplemental.

pictures are mostly confirmatory. I think it was necessary in probably 25% (discounting the ECGs). I probably had about 40 or so "exhibits" on my exam, but I think I only needed like 10.

thanks for the responses ... its good to hear that images are not huge on the exam considering how long ago histo and path were.

For those of you who took the COMSAE, how long did it take you?

Think I was done with the whole thing in about 3 hours, which exactly correlated with the actual COMLEX, in that I was done with the whole thing in about 6 hours with 2 5 minute breaks and a 20 minute lunch break.

Hey all:
taking the COMLEx in a month, planning to do the practice COMSAE online in 2 wks.
Have a few questions: is there any biostatistics or calculations(any calculations at all) in the COMLEX? Also, what is behavioral science like?
For anatomy, what was emphasized the most (dermatomes, upper limb/lower limb injuries, visceral innervation, etc??) For psych/cardiac, were there questions asking for the DOC for certain dz's like bipolar,borderline,etc? and 2nd line drugs, or was it more like mechanism of action and side effects. Also was there any nomenclature of fractures? like those with weird names
How representative do you all think the Kaplan Comlex qbank is of the COMLEX? how about the Kaplan USMLE Qbank online?
Thank u all very very much!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all:
taking the COMLEx in a month, planning to do the practice COMSAE online in 2 wks.
Have a few questions: is there any biostatistics or calculations(any calculations at all) in the COMLEX? Also, what is behavioral science like?
For anatomy, what was emphasized the most (dermatomes, upper limb/lower limb injuries, visceral innervation, etc??) For psych/cardiac, were there questions asking for the DOC for certain dz's like bipolar,borderline,etc? and 2nd line drugs, or was it more like mechanism of action and side effects. Also was there any nomenclature of fractures? like those with weird names
How representative do you all think the Kaplan Comlex qbank is of the COMLEX? how about the Kaplan USMLE Qbank online?
Thank u all very very much!!!!!!!!!!

My advice would be to just go ahead and take the COMSAE - the sooner the better. Seeing these 200 questions will give you a better idea of what and how to study than anyone simply telling you what might have been emphasized on their particular test. Do it untimed and use it as a study tool.

You might lose some of the predictive power as far as a score might go, but IMHO, since this is the first year it's out, the jury is out on how good a predictor it will be anyway. Like many of the people I've talked to about it, after taking the COMSAE, I had to reorient my studying a good deal and I wish I'd taken it earlier than 10 days out so it wasn't as much of a scramble at the end.

Did anyone who has taken the COMLEX recently do any full length practice tests before the exam (i.e. sit down and take 400 questions and follow the break rules, etc.) If you didn't did you feel it hurt you at all?

Did anyone who has taken the COMLEX recently do any full length practice tests before the exam (i.e. sit down and take 400 questions and follow the break rules, etc.) If you didn't did you feel it hurt you at all?

If you've got the time and feel it would make you more comfortable, I'd do it, but I haven't heard from anyone who had issues with timing on this test. Just don't go in with a full bladder, since you only get a break after every two sections. I drank a lot of tea over lunch and I was definitely ready for that afternoon break. ;)

does anyone know the minimum % correct questions needed to pass the COMLEX step 1?

If you've got the time and feel it would make you more comfortable, I'd do it, but I haven't heard from anyone who had issues with timing on this test. Just don't go in with a full bladder, since you only get a break after every two sections. I drank a lot of tea over lunch and I was definitely ready for that afternoon break. ;)

Wow...didnt even factor that into my mind! I always have to pee! :( Grrrreeeaaatttt.......

Hey guys,

So I just took the COMSAE and have to say I was a bit dissapointed and a little more freaked out about the upcoming COMLEX. But that is what cramming is for, right? Definitely glad I took it and would recommend it to others. Of course, I haven't taken the real thing yet, so take my opinion for what its worth.

I've been hearing rumors that if you have around a 60-65% on the Kaplan Qbank you will be good for the exams. Has anyone else heard this?