DO student searching for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find research, but as a DO student, it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack...maybe even 2 haystacks. Do any DO/MD students who have been successful in getting a research position by emailing have any tips on how to find emails of the PIs? I have gone on the websites of the schools around me, but none of them have their faculty emails available to the public which makes it nearly impossible to track them down.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have a research office/dean of research or a section on your website that lists research opportunities/mentors? If so, I'd start there. If not, maybe the schools around you have a research office that you can contact.

It seems weird to me that faculty e-mails are "hidden" to the public. Every school I've been to has departmental directories with e-mails listed and I've found that cold-emailing (discussing your background in research, your interests going forward, and what you expect to accomplish) works just fine. So, perhaps the specific departments have their own directories or you can do a directory search for the professors you find?

Hopefully that's at least a bit helpful. :)

It seems weird to me that faculty e-mails are "hidden" to the public. ...

Actually, it's not very weird or unusual to just list a departmental phone number on the website -- if you've ever dealt with patients that don't respect professional and personal boundaries you'd get why it's pretty common to only give the uninvited public access through a receptionist and during normal business hours.

However people who do significant research like to publish, and most major publications these days list a primary author's contact info in the footnote on the front page. So that's often the good indirect approach to finding an academic's work email.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it's not very weird or unusual to just list a departmental phone number on the website -- if you've ever dealt with patients that don't respect professional and personal boundaries you'd get why it's pretty common to only give the uninvited public access through a receptionist and during normal business hours.

However people who do significant research like to publish, and most major publications these days list a primary author's contact info in the footnote on the front page. So that's often the good indirect approach to finding an academic's work email.
Hmm. Perhaps academic/translational (the majority of my work) and clinical research are approached different when it comes to contact information -- or my schools are some of the odd ones out.

You raise a very good point with the primary author contact information.

I am trying to find research, but as a DO student, it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack...maybe even 2 haystacks. Do any DO/MD students who have been successful in getting a research position by emailing have any tips on how to find emails of the PIs? I have gone on the websites of the schools around me, but none of them have their faculty emails available to the public which makes it nearly impossible to track them down.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Cold calling worked best. If it's for positions at a lab this summer, you're likely too late. Clinicians with a big pool of patients on the other hand will probably be fine working informally with you. That's what I did.

Look up clinical studies going on in the area near your school, find the group leading them and reach out via email.

Reactions: 1 user