DO shadowing preparation tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazybutt26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was finally able to get an opportunity to shadow a DO in my area. It's only 8 hours (one single day) but I am so excited and grateful for the opportunity, after getting rejection after rejection upon cold calling the offices. My question is, I would like to make the most out of this opportunity. The DO is excited to have me shadow her as well, she purposely booked 4 of her OMT patients on the day I shadow! :)

I know 1) to show up on time
2) to dress up business casual
3) not to be annoying or ask too many questions, although a few to show interest is fine

Do I have to bring my personal statement I have written for the application this cycle? or print out my resume, or CV just so that she's aware that I am academically capable? I am going to ask her if she would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation at the end of the day. Wait. Should I ask at the beginning of the shadowing?

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Different situation, but I went into mine knowing the physician was going to write one for me. I would ask at the end and produce your Draft of PS, transcript and a resume/CV when she says yes.

Search some common illness in the specialty and do a basic look at them. General questions of why medicine, how she got where is today, her life style, etc. maybe throw in some ethic problems to discuss if you want (assuming there’s down time and willing to discuss). If you see she’s extremely busy, you will have to limit the chatting. Have a small notebook/pad for some note taking.

Reactions: 1 user
Yessss! Thank you. I will bring all of those just in case and then if she says yes to writing the letter, I will give them to her. How did you convince the physician before even shadowing? Did you work for her or him?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yessss! Thank you. I will bring all of those just in case and then if she says yes to writing the letter, I will give them to her. How did you convince the physician before even shadowing? Did you work for her or him?

Basically asked prior to scheduling with DO. And he said yes.

I’m surprised nobody else has jumped on this yet:

Absolutely do not ask ANYBODY for a letter after knowing them for a grand total of eight hours.

Just don’t. Please. At best, it’s benign. At worst, it kneecaps your application.

Instead, work with her and see if you can come shadow again or if there are any other ways you could involve yourself with that physician.

On the topic of what you need to do or bring:
- check to make sure she wants business casual. Some prefer scrubs.
- don’t bring a CV.
- don’t bring a resume.
- there’s no such thing as too many questions. They want to teach you. So let them.
- if you’re so inclined, do some light reading on low back pain. This is one of the most common uses for OMM and one of the rare occurrences when I would not denounce OMM.

Absolutely do not ask ANYBODY for a letter after knowing them for a grand total of eight hours.

Just don’t. Please. At best, it’s benign. At worst, it kneecaps your application.

Instead, work with her and see if you can come shadow again or if there are any other ways you could involve yourself with that physician.

- don’t bring a CV.
- don’t bring a resume.
- there’s no such thing as too many questions. They want to teach you. So let them.
- if you’re so inclined, do some light reading on low back pain. This is one of the most common uses for OMM and one of the rare occurrences when I would not denounce OMM.
2 cycles ago, I only shadowed one DO lady for 8 hours (full day), I asked, and she wrote me a letter (probably was a generic one since I didn't even give her a CV or anything lol), and it was close to when I was about to submit my app in September as well. I still got a total of about 16 DO Interview invites including schools that required a DO letter. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Reactions: 2 users

- don’t bring a CV.
- don’t bring a resume.

Do you see how you're the only one who jumped at this "don't ask after only shadowing for 8 hours?" I asked a lot of people on another forum to see if it's okay to ask for the letter, lots of people said the physician knew the deal and they said yes. The guy who commented above you even said he had asked for the letter first before he even shadowed. You're a negative person and I don't want that negativity in my life. You can go away BYE

2 cycles ago, I only shadowed one DO lady for 8 hours (full day), I asked, and she wrote me a letter (probably was a generic one since I didn't even give her a CV or anything lol), and it was close to when I was about to submit my app in September as well. I still got a total of about 16 DO Interview invites including schools that required a DO letter. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thank you so so much. This is what I wanted to hear!!! I am going to ask her for the letter. If she says yes, god bless her. if she says no, welp. I tried. Thanks!

Show up, be respectful and mindful of your surrounding. Some patients don't want students around, be cool about it. A lot of the DOs, especially younger ones, understand that you're doing this because you need a letter for DO school. They've been there and have done it. A lot of them will be receptive if you're not a douche. If he/she seem cool about it, ask for one. Like I said, many of them know that you're there for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you see how you're the only one who jumped at this "don't ask after only shadowing for 8 hours?" I asked a lot of people on another forum to see if it's okay to ask for the letter, lots of people said the physician knew the deal and they said yes. The guy who commented above you even said he had asked for the letter first before he even shadowed. You're a negative person and I don't want that negativity in my life. You can go away BYE

All I did was give you advice on your application. I don’t see how that was even sort of negative.

So many people come here and, when something doesn’t line up with what they want to hear, they apparently get hurt and defensive.

Read my bolded and ask yourself if that’s how a physician should carry themselves instead of attempting a discussion.

Yeah that’s fair. My concern was exactly that: the letter will be ridiculously generic and you’re essentially taking away a chance that you can get a very solid, personalized letter that truly helps you from, say, a professor you’ve known for a few years. Worse, I’m of the mind that this increases the chances that the letter ends up being bad. Even if it’s a very small chance, that could flat-tire the application (and I’m personally horribly paranoid about that).

Of course, if you’re applying to one of the schools that requires a DO letter or one that ‘strongly recommends’ one...I suppose the schools already shot themselves in the foot there.

ome patients don't want students around, be cool about it. A lot of the DOs, especially younger ones, understand that you're doing this because you need a letter for DO school. They've been there and have done it. A lot of them will be receptive if you're not a douche. If he/she seem cool about it, ask for one. Li
Read my bolded and ask yourself if that’s how a physician should carry themselves instead of attempting a discussion.
All I did was give you advice on your application. I don’t see how that was even sort of negative.

So many people come here and, when something doesn’t line up with what they want to hear, they apparently get hurt and defensive.

Do you even understand what you're saying? LOL First of all, I didn't ask you for any advice on my application. My question was how to be prepared for the shadowing. PERIOD. I even listed a few pointers I think are best practice such as showing up on time etc. But you went off the point and said "wow, DO NOT ask for the letter after shadowing for a day" I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION. I did not ask you whether it was a good idea to ask for a letter after shadowing.

Do you even understand what you're saying? LOL First of all, I didn't ask you for any advice on my application. My question was how to be prepared for the shadowing. PERIOD. I even listed a few pointers I think are best practice such as showing up on time etc. But you went off the point and said "wow, DO NOT ask for the letter after shadowing for a day" I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION. I did not ask you whether it was a good idea to ask for a letter after shadowing.

I wasn't going to say anything, but the above comments are so incredibly whiny and rude to @Isoval.

They offered advice about the question you asked that I bolded in your original post below, and you went off like a spoiled, entitled child. This is not the attitude a future physician(or professional in any field really) should have. Good luck during your application cycle. Consider heeding their advice so you don't end up with a generic or negative letter.

Hi!
I was finally able to get an opportunity to shadow a DO in my area. It's only 8 hours (one single day) but I am so excited and grateful for the opportunity, after getting rejection after rejection upon cold calling the offices. My question is, I would like to make the most out of this opportunity. The DO is excited to have me shadow her as well, she purposely booked 4 of her OMT patients on the day I shadow! :)

I know 1) to show up on time
2) to dress up business casual
3) not to be annoying or ask too many questions, although a few to show interest is fine

Do I have to bring my personal statement I have written for the application this cycle? or print out my resume, or CV just so that she's aware that I am academically capable? I am going to ask her if she would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation at the end of the day. Wait. Should I ask at the beginning of the shadowing?

Thanks for your help

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.