DO shadowing in Northern Virginia (willing to to travel to Maryland and Charlottesville as well)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprincess26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying for months to shadow a DO and I feel as if I have called everyone and no one allows shadowing. If you know anyone in the area please let me know. I am desperately looking. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not drive down to VCOM and chat up their faculty?

Or, holding my nose as I type this, LUCOM (just don't apply there).

Why do you hate LUCOM so much? Just curious because I applied there. Is it the curriculum or residency placements?. I'm not crazy about the whole Christian theme, but that wouldn't keep me from attending there if I got accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you recommend not becoming a physician at all if LUCOM was the only school that took us?

Just drive there and talk to someone? SHould I contact them before? It is about 5 hours away from me and if I do contact who should I contact? Admissions and let them know my problem?

Just drive there and talk to someone? SHould I contact them before? It is about 5 hours away from me and if I do contact who should I contact? Admissions and let them know my problem?

Yes, send an email and ask for a tour

Reactions: 1 user
I have been trying for months to shadow a DO and I feel as if I have called everyone and no one allows shadowing. If you know anyone in the area please let me know. I am desperately looking. Thanks!

There are quite a few DOs if you know where to look. I got lucky and the first doctor I ever shadowed was a DO.

How is asking for/going on a tour going to lead to him being able to shadow a DO?

Talk about how you are interested in the osteopathic field, but haven't had the opportunity to see it first hand when you meet faculty. hopefully they can direct them to someone willing to help. DO schools want you to know the distinctions between MD before applying, so I seriously doubt they will say "heh, figure it out stupid" when he says he is having trouble.

Last edited:
How is asking for/going on a tour going to lead to him being able to shadow a DO?

All he needs to do is get his foot in the door.
I was trying to apply to some other programs besides DO (PA, Pod, optometry) , doctors are sometimes reluctant to let any stranger just come in and shadow them since they dont know who the hell that person is. Atleast by showing up and showing youre not an axe murderer they trust you.

But I would just contact the local DO school and ask, thats what the AACOMAS director recommended.

All he needs to do is get his foot in the door.
I was trying to apply to some other programs besides DO (PA, Pod, optometry) , doctors are sometimes reluctant to let any stranger just come in and shadow them since they dont know who the hell that person is. Atleast by showing up and showing youre not an axe murderer they trust you.

But I would just contact the local DO school and ask, thats what the AACOMAS director recommended.
I agree. But he needs to make sure he actually gets to speak with individuals associated with the medical school. If you just sign up for a tour, there's a chance that you'll simply get some random undergraduate student/other employee that knows nothing or is unaffiliated with the medical school. This would not be helpful.

A better option would be: calling the school and asking to set up an appointment with the admissions department (a Dean would be better, but they are busy). Not many people attempt to do this, but it is very possible ..especially if one is a nontraditional student.

I agree. But he needs to make sure he actually gets to speak with individuals associated with the medical school. If you just sign up for a tour, there's a chance that you'll simply get some random undergraduate student/other employee that knows nothing or is unaffiliated with the medical school. This would not be helpful.

A better option would be: calling the school and asking to set up an appointment with the admissions department (a Dean would be better, but they are busy). Not many people attempt to do this, but it is very possible ..especially if one is a nontraditional student.
Yeah pretty much.
I just emailed the dean of XYZ DO school near my house and waited a few days and I got to shadow one of their faculty physicians.