DO schools w/ minority appeal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosomali

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if any of you know of DO schools that cater to minorities 'urm' in particular..?

Members don't see this ad.

I havent heard any statement like that regarding any of the DO schools....but you might try the ones that have missions aimed at providing healthcare for underserved populations (Touro-NY comes to mind, maybey ATSU-SOMA).

Keep an open mind. UNECOM resides in one of the whitest states in the nation but has a mission to serve the rural and underserved populations of Maine. To that end they have incorporated multicultural aspects to the curriculum to include the significant Somali refugee population in Lewiston-Auburn and Portland. That being said I think it would be important to talk to some of the URM students that have attended or are attending the school and get their take on the environment of the school (my guess would be that the perception would be of a welcoming environment based on my time there) and of the local area (as a non-URM I would have a tough time commenting. Pockets of the northeast are still quite racist [Boston's reputation is actually quite bad], but Southern Maine has always seemed pretty open minded). I do think there are ample opportunities to work with URMs as patients as well (Lewiston-Auburn, Portland, Biddeford [when I was there, there was a free clinic you could volunteer], and some rotation sites in Jersey and NYS). Talk to some students and alumni.
As for the other schools, a lot (most?) also have a mission serve the rural/underserved, but regionally they are going to have a different patient demographic. But, again, based on my experiences in Maine, finding out from some current/past students may yield some surprises.
Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be headed to KCOM in Missouri. Not exactly filled with minorities but it's a friendly place that seems to welcome everyone. Just because everyone looks similar doesn't mean they are; diversity comes in many shapes and sizes.

check out WVSOM and VCOM

i THOUGHT every single medical school got the memo that they need to recruit minorities :confused:

The AACOM even states this at the beginning of their annual catalog.

I was speaking to the dean of admissions at the University of North Texas earlier this cycle and she was telling me that they definitely take minorities into higher consideration.

There is an explosive desire for minorities at all major institutions....

example: their presence at national conferences such as SACNAS and ABRCMS..

Last edited: