DO schools ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't buy that.

If you are really looking at the stuff you mentioned, then that applicant shouldn't apply do at all. Research and faculty to student ratios are the worst at do schools.

This seriously reminds me of bottom fraternities arguing over who is the worst house because this is pathetic
Then don't buy it. You're still wrong. Just because you're applying to schools with less prestige it doesn't mean you are willing to forgo any metric. It doesn't take much research to realize going PCOM or KCOM is vastly superior than attending LUCOM or WCUCOM. What are you doing on these forums anyway? Go troll somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We all know LUCOM is the bottom. Nobody else needs to feel bad, but I would say some form of ranking is important. If rankings are done correctly, they can reflect the quality of clinical rotations, faculty to student ratio, number of seats in a class, ability/money to do research, what schools are realistic for an applicant, etc. It's a starting point of where to begin investigative schools. Yes, we'll all be doctors in the end, but some of us don't want to take any random ****ty road to get there.
I hope you remember this post about ****ty roads. You are about to start western u and I know for a fact that your school treats students like ****. It is all over sdn

I don't buy that.

If you are really looking at the stuff you mentioned, then that applicant shouldn't apply do at all. Research and faculty to student ratios are the worst at do schools.

This seriously reminds me of bottom fraternities arguing over who is the worst house because this is pathetic
Easy xeno. I think you might be suffering from a somatic dysfunction that has your sympathetics in overdrive. Let me try a pelvic diaphragm release on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you remember this post about ****ty roads. You are about to start western u and I know for a fact that your school treats students like ****
Because you attend the institution? That's how you know?

I hope you remember this post about ****ty roads. You are about to start western u and I know for a fact that your school treats students like ****. It is all over sdn
In general I think your DO-bashing is funny because most of it is sad-but-true, but I have to disagree here. WesternU is very, very good to students. Too good usually to the point of coddling us. Just wanted to put my strong opinion on that matter out there.

In general I think your DO-bashing is funny because most of it is sad-but-true, but I have to disagree here. WesternU is very, very good to students. Too good usually to the point of coddling us. Just wanted to put my strong opinion on that matter out there.
It is not trolling if it is true and factual.

At the end of the day, we are in the same boat. Bottom tier schools looking to match competitively. But all this infighting of who is worst doesn't help. I've accepted it. Just move forward. When bottom houses fight, it always makes yourself look worst, not better.

Last edited:
Friends lament going there. Thank god I don't have to deal with the awful faculty there.
They're not awful to students nor are they awful people. Just awful lecturers.

It is not trolling if it is true and factual.

At the end of the day, we are in the same boat. Bottom tier schools looking to match competitively. But all this infighting of who is worst doesn't help. I've accepted it. Just move forward. When bottom houses fight, it always makes yourself look worst, not better.
I wasn't accusing you of trolling. We're cool there. I just had to put in my 2 cents about my experience w/ the school and admin.

And that is an awful way to justify whatever this is.
you said "you know you're school (COMP) treats it students like ****."

I wasn't justifying anything. I said the admin and teaching faculty don't treat us crappy. They are just in general crappy lecturers with the exception of some select few that are very, very good.

I wasn't accusing you of trolling. We're cool there. I just had to put in my 2 cents about my experience w/ the school and admin.
We just see western u differently. People who have matched told me about the fend for yourself culture and how you are on your own if you need a mentor, research, or help matching into competitive residencies. That to me is a **** path

Western should help you with stuff like that.

Fair enough. 4th year is basically pay the school $52k to travel around and find your own rotations because the school doesn't have the resources for placing them anywhere. At least that's the story at NW campus.

Right now in preclinical years they are sooo helpful w/ everything. It's a smart marketing strategy to invest in 1st and 2nd years because we're going to be the ones in close contact with premeds.

Members don't see this ad :)
We just see western u differently. People who have matched told me about the fend for yourself culture and how you are on your own if you need a mentor, research, or help matching into competitive residencies. That to me is a **** path

Western should help you with stuff like that
And I guess all I can say about that is to reiterate what you have already said: If you want to go down the road of competitive specialties, you probably shouldn't go DO. I feel like that is not a Western thing but a DO thing.

I'm not afraid to say I settled for DO school because I want to do IM and anyone w/ half a brain can do well enough on step 1 to get into a solid ACGME (non-academic) IM residency.

Western should help you with stuff like that.
Can you please stop being so arrogant as to talk about western when you have zero first hand experience and you're discussing with someone that does?

Can you please stop being so arrogant as to talk about western when you have zero first hand experience and you're discussing with someone that does?
Can you please stop being so arrogant as to talk about and to rank other schools when you have zero first hand experience too?

When you do that, I will too

Can you please stop being so arrogant as to talk about and to rank other schools when you have zero first hand experience too?

When you do that, I will too
Ranks can be done objectively by quantitative measurements. How people are treated and stuff like that is mainly based on experience. How you made it into medical school is a mystery to me.

Ranks can be done objectively by quantitative measurements. How people are treated and stuff like that is mainly based on experience. How you made it into medical school is a mystery to me.
You are still talking about something you don't have first hand experience at. And stats aren't the only thing to describe a school

you said "you know you're school (COMP) treats it students like ****."

I wasn't justifying anything. I said the admin and teaching faculty don't treat us crappy. They are just in general crappy lecturers with the exception of some select few that are very, very good.

That's medical school. I have a lot of MD friends & relatives. Students, docs, the works. Most hated the lectures in their med school. They all believed that they had the worst lecturers ever hands down, and they learned nothing from them. Occasionally, you'll find a gem that can really get you interested, but a lot of the times, you're getting lectured from people that know way too much about their own field to make it relevant to you (a beginner) or people that care more about their grant proposals than their lesson plan. That is why, in medical school what you accomplish and learn is for the most part on you.

Reactions: 3 users
We all know LUCOM is the bottom. Nobody else needs to feel bad, but I would say some form of ranking is important.
Because you attend the institution? That's how you know?
I don't have anything to add about western. I know it's a fine institution. Just thought I would point this out though.

I don't have anything to add about western. I know it's a fine institution. Just thought I would point this out though.
That was said tongue-in-cheek, but their creationist views are something objectively known as well as their student rules and racism.

That was said tongue-in-cheek, but their creationist views are something objectively known as well as their student rules and racism.
Fair enough but it's still a good idea to respect the decisions of those who wish to attend LUCOM.

Ya, bro.
Fair enough but it's still a good idea to respect the decisions of those who wish to attend LUCOM.
I don't. If you choose to participate in a group of people who hold up ignorance and bigotry, you are part of the problem. You don't get to attend and act as if you don't contribute to the problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Ya, bro.

I don't. If you choose to participate in a group of people who hold up ignorance and bigotry, you are part of the problem. You don't get to attend and act as if you don't contribute to the problem.
Dude I bet you that seriously 99.99% of the students coming out of there over the next 10 years are going to be good, honest, hard working physicians... The fact that it was founded by a religious extremist does not mean that that is how it is, and will continue to be run - ESPECIALLY pertaining to the medical school. Graduate schools really take on their own path and cannot be held at the same point that their affiliated undergrad is held at. Case and point: NSU. NSU undergrad is, to put it nicely, not a very reputable university. I believe the saying goes "that an undergrad diploma from NSU is more useful as firewood." Yet it has arguably one of the better DO schools. Its Pod and dental schools are really solid too. Do I think LUCOM will become like NSU in quality, probably not, and even if they did it would take a long time. But I just think that you are going bananas because Falwell has his name on a place, so the whole place should be pushed into the Mariana Trench with everyone in it.

I am sure you can find schools throughout the US that were built on less than ideal visions. Heck I am sure you could find more than a dozen schools (obviously not just med schools) that were physically built from the toil of slaves. Does that mean that people should avoid these schools forever and that they do not provide people with the type of education that qualifies them to enter the working world?

I sure as heck would not be seen at LUCOM (for reasons related to their newness and lack of quality rotations set up), but you have been coming on REALLY strong lately... I dont know if you know this... but it really is ok if people have different ideals or goals than you, just saying. And in fact by assuming that everyone that goes to LUCOM thinks, or is even on the same page as Falwell, you are in fact invoking ideas that are in itself, borderline bigotry. So all I am suggesting is to take a breather man. You are a really solid help on here, you start throwing too much personal stuff into the mix and people are not going to take you seriously.

Dude I bet you that seriously 99.99% of the students coming out of there over the next 10 years are going to be good, honest, hard working physicians... The fact that it was founded by a religious extremist does not mean that that is how it is, and will continue to be run - ESPECIALLY pertaining to the medical school. Graduate schools really take on their own path and cannot be held at the same point that their affiliated undergrad is held at. Case and point: NSU. NSU undergrad is, to put it nicely, not a very reputable university. I believe the saying goes "that an undergrad diploma from NSU is more useful as firewood." Yet it has arguably one of the better DO schools. Its Pod and dental schools are really solid too. Do I think LUCOM will become like NSU in quality, probably not, and even if they did it would take a long time. But I just think that you are going bananas because Falwell has his name on a place, so the whole place should be pushed into the Mariana Trench with everyone in it.

I am sure you can find schools throughout the US that were built on less than ideal visions. Heck I am sure you could find more than a dozen schools (obviously not just med schools) that were physically built from the toil of slaves. Does that mean that people should avoid these schools forever and that they do not provide people with the type of education that qualifies them to enter the working world?

I sure as heck would not be seen at LUCOM (for reasons related to their newness and lack of quality rotations set up), but you have been coming on REALLY strong lately... I dont know if you know this... but it really is ok if people have different ideals or goals than you, just saying. And in fact by assuming that everyone that goes to LUCOM thinks, or is even on the same page as Falwell, you are in fact invoking ideas that are in itself, borderline bigotry. So all I am suggesting is to take a breather man. You are a really solid help on here, you start throwing too much personal stuff into the mix and people are not going to take you seriously.
When their policies change and new evidence comes to light, I will change my mind. Until then, my opinion is what it is.

No one is asking you to change your opinion. Many, including myself, share your opinion about the parent institution and Falwell but what do you get out of disrespecting and calling people out for attending LUCOM. You don't know these students or their backgrounds. These will likely be your future colleagues, whether you approve of them or not.

When xenoblade called western out, you went on the defensive because its your institution and you know more about it because you're there. That was an appropriate response. I don't understand how you can blindly judge the decision that ~ 150 applicants made when you will likely never set foot in the medical building at LUCOM. Its one thing to say you strongly disagree with Falwell's philosophy (I agree with you there) but its another to judge others because they don't agree with your decision to not apply to/attend LUCOM. Double standards...

Ya, bro.

I can only hope that you see the blatant hypocrisy in this accusation (assuming you know the meaning of those words). You join the anti-LU circlejerk of hate because of their religious/political conviction, yet damn every soul who sets foot into the place simply because they don't seem to be following your personal agenda?

I'm not necessarily defending LUCOM in its entirety because I'm not a fan of DO schools popping up like weeds. I will however point out the incredibly flawed logic by so many people. Are they breaking any laws? Are they forcing you to go there? If not than it by no means affects you.

I can only hope that you see the blatant hypocrisy in this accusation (assuming you know the meaning of those words). You join the anti-LU circlejerk of hate because of their religious/political conviction, yet damn every soul who sets foot into the place simply because they don't seem to be following your personal agenda?

I'm not necessarily defending LUCOM in its entirety because I'm not a fan of DO schools popping up like weeds. I will however point out the incredibly flawed logic by so many people. Are they breaking any laws? Are they forcing you to go there? If not than it by no means affects you.
Sorry for acknowledging that evolution is a fact, that interracial marriage is okay and believe homosexuals aren't going to burn in hell and their love is legitimate. Sorry if my "personal agenda" of tolerance is disgusting to you.

They are not breaking laws or forcing me to go there, but they sure as hell are judging my life (I'm an atheist) and promote hate and ignorance that directly becomes politics, which do affect millions of Americans.

Sorry for acknowledging that evolution is a fact, that interracial marriage is okay and believe homosexuals aren't going to burn in hell and their love is legitimate. Sorry if my "personal agenda" of tolerance is disgusting to you.

They are not breaking laws or forcing me to go there, but they sure as hell are judging my life (I'm an atheist) and promote hate and ignorance that directly becomes politics, which do affect millions of Americans.
Those first 3 things you listed I happen to agree with you on. That's not what's disgusting to me, it's that you are incapable of thinking from another perspective.

I could say the exact same thing about your actions here: You sure as hell are judging the lives of everyone at a certain school (whether they share identical views with Falwell or not), you are promoting hate and (in this case, intolorance/bigotry) of your own just for disagreeing with you which becomes politics which affect millions of Americans.

Just look in the mirror. You represent so much of what you hate about LUCOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Those first 3 things you listed I happen to agree with you on. That's not what's disgusting to me, it's that you are incapable of thinking from another perspective.

I could say the exact same thing about your actions here: You sure as hell are judging the lives of everyone at a certain school (whether they share identical views with Falwell or not), you are promoting hate and (in this case, intolorance/bigotry) of your own just for disagreeing with you which becomes politics which affect millions of Americans.

Exactly... we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The more you go on about bigotry and ignorance, the more of an ignorant bigot it makes you appear.

And just for my own clarification I decided to look up the definition of bigotry:
"having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others."
Again, I am not calling you a bigot Albino, but I am just saying that having staunch views on a particular group of people simply because you perceive that they "have a staunch view on your people" does not make it acceptable.

In fact this whole argument is not necessarily about you at all Albino, again I know you are an awesome help on here. I am totally aware that I too have topics on here that get me all fired up... This is more of an argument towards the LUCOM haters out there who hate it simply because of its perceived "ideals" that it was founded on and has nothing to do with its actual quality of medical school training. By all means hate the school because it popped up in a region that does not really need another medical school, or because they have poorly created relationships with their rotation sites, or the fact that they are building a school without providing any more residency placements - those are incredibly valid faults that I think a lot of people see with LUCOM.

Again I will stress that I would not be seen at LUCOM because of what I would consider faults with its medical school training, particularly for its clerkships... but people have to open their eyes and see that hate, no matter who it is towards, or for whatever reason that they deem is acceptable, is not okay to spread.

Both extremist Christians that hate atheists, gays, and mixed race people are wrong and the people that hate those Christians (and all Christians which they lump in their with those extremists) are also wrong.

Last edited:

I am not saying that people that attend personally have to believe in that or have to be personally equally hateful. However, if you choose to give your money and time to an organization built on hate, you are directly responsible for that. You have chosen, by putting your dollars and time, to promote the ideas of a hate group. There's no way around that.

Exactly... we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The more you go on about bigotry and ignorance, the more of an ignorant bigot it makes you appear.

And just for my own clarification I decided to look up the definition of bigotry:
"having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others."
Again, I am not calling you a bigot Albino, but I am just saying that having staunch views on a particular group of people simply because you perceive that they "have a staunch view on your people" does not make it acceptable.

In fact this whole argument is not necessarily about you at all Albino, again I know you are an awesome help on here. I am totally aware that I too have topics on here that get me all fired up... This is more of an argument towards the LUCOM haters out there who hate it simply because of its perceived "ideals" that it was founded on and has nothing to do with its actual quality of medical school training. By all means hate the school because it popped up in a region that does not really need another medical school, or because they have poorly created relationships with their rotation sites, or the fact that they are building a school without providing any more residency placements - those are incredibly valid faults that I think a lot of people see with LUCOM.

Again I will stress that I would not be seen at LUCOM because of what I would consider faults with its medical school training, particularly for its clerkships... but people have to open their eyes and see that hate, no matter who it is towards, or for whatever reason that they deem is acceptable, is not okay to spread.

Both extremist Christians that hate atheists, gays, and mixed race people are wrong and the people that hate those Christians (and all Christians which they lump in their with those extremists) are also wrong.
So you're not calling me a bigot but just heavily implying it. What next? You're a bigot if you have a strong opinion against the Klan?

Not only is the idea of ranking DO schools arbitrary, it really really doesn't matter. There has been a million of these threads and they are almost always derailed by arguments and trolls. Go to school wherever you want. Think whatever you want. Realize that not everyone is going to agree with you, and you most likely wont ever be able to change their mind. Hold off judgement on LUCOM until a class graduates and has a match list.

Relax people, we are all on the same team.

I am not saying that people that attend personally have to believe in that or have to be personally equally hateful. However, if you choose to give your money and time to an organization built on hate, you are directly responsible for that. You have chosen, by putting your dollars and time, to promote the ideas of a hate group. There's no way around that.
Once again, are they breaking any laws? Then they clearly aren't as "hateful" as you make it seem. You act as though LU admins go out tarring and feathering on the weekends. Just as you find the rules of LU hateful, I can assure you that many common practices/ideologies of the left are found detestable by the right. Welcome to America, where people are allowed to express different opinions (even as an organization). The difference here is you seem hell bent on branding others as something they're probably not, and forcing YOUR ideologies on everyone.

Just for future reference if you're going to get on your soapbox and want to avoid dripping with hypocrisy, a better way to present yourself might be:

"LU has rules or a background that I don't agree with. I realize those people have experiences and convictions of their own, just as I have mine. I choose not to go there. People that do choose to go there may actually be human beings as well, who aren't all the same."

I just find it funny because I have absolutely no allegiance to LUCOM, and similar to Awesome Sauceome I would rather reapply than go there. I do however feel like the LUCOM bashing is completely out of hand, and simply want to remove the blindfold that so many people choose to wear whilst pointing their bigoted fingers.

Once again, are they breaking any laws? Then they clearly aren't as "hateful" as you make it seem. You act as though LU admins go out tarring and feathering on the weekends. Just as you find the rules of LU hateful, I can assure you that many common practices/ideologies of the left are found detestable by the right. Welcome to America, where people are allowed to express different opinions (even as an organization). The difference here is you seem hell bent on branding others as something they're probably not, and forcing YOUR ideologies on everyone.

Just for future reference if you're going to get on your soapbox and want to avoid dripping with hypocrisy, a better way to present yourself might be:

"LU has rules or a background that I don't agree with. I realize those people have experiences and convictions of their own, just as I have mine. I choose not to go there. People that do choose to go there may actually be human beings as well, who aren't all the same."

I just find it funny because I have absolutely no allegiance to LUCOM, and similar to Awesome Sauceome I would rather reapply than go there. I do however feel like the LUCOM bashing is completely out of hand, and simply want to remove the blindfold that so many people choose to wear whilst pointing their bigoted fingers.
We've both said our parts. I'm not going to engage in this pissing contest anymore. History will decide who is right. I for one don't think those, like you, that support hate groups will be seen as the good and tolerant.

Albino, your hypocrisy is really damming.

This is what you are saying:
1. Lucom is a s*** school, even though I don't have first hand experience with them, and they haven't even matriculation their first class.
2. Don't talk about western u cause you have don't have first hand experience

You are making yourself look really bad

Albino, your hypocrisy is really damming.

This is what you are saying:
1. Lucom is a s*** school, even though I don't have first hand experience with them, and they haven't even matriculation their first class.
2. Don't talk about western u cause you have don't have first hand experience

You are making yourself look really bad
Policies are objective. Opinions about school treatment are subjective.

I personally would lump western u and liberty together and consider them in the same tier.

Top tier: ivy league, ucsf, mount Sinai, etc.
Mid tier: many solid programs that aren't top tier. Feel free to plug whoever you feel belongs here.
Bottom tier: most state schools. Maybe touro Harlem cause of their high mcat score
Dead last tier: most do schools and new schools. This includes western u and liberty.

Msucom is a wobbler that I have trouble placing between bottom tier and dead last. They have access to many resources, but their stats aren't competitive at all.

Last edited:
I personally would lump western u and Lucian together and consider them in the same tier.

Mid tier: many solid programs that aren't top tier. Feel free to plug whoever you feel belongs here.
Bottom tier: most state schools. Maybe touro Harlem cause of their high mcat score
Dead last tier: most do schools and new schools. This includes western u and liberty.

Msucom is a wobbler that I have trouble placing between bottom tier and dead last. They have access to many resources, but their stats aren't competitive at all.
Cool story, bro. Tell us more of your opinions. They certainly are relevant.

Policies are objective.
It isn't policy.

Policy is: if you are biracial or in an interracial marriage, you are barred from admission at liberty.

This would be illegal and is not policy at all.

You just disagree with their ideology, which is biased. Just admit it. You are flat out biased. The more you talk, the more of a hypocrite you are.

Cool story, bro. Tell us more of your opinions. They certainly are relevant.
Thus thread is about rank, which is almost exclusively opinion based.

Why are your opinions about liberty worth more than my opinions?

I personally would lump western u and liberty together and consider them in the same tier.

In reality, this is accurate. In the grand scheme of medicine, all DO schools are in whatever lowest arbitrary/ unranked tier you create. That's why this thread is senseless.

There are schools that have better access to rotations or research and maybe are more established making them better options, but that does not change how they would be ranked in any typical system used for med schools globally.

The "best" DO school and "worst" DO are in the same unranked tier. It's kinda sad to see such argument of subjective feelings about rank when objectively theres no argument. What's worse is to see DO students and premeds **** on some DO schools while being upset the vast majority of medicine looks down on all DO schools in general. All DO students are in the same boat. I guarantee NYU isn't going to take it's first DO for IM because they're from MSUCOM vs a new DO because they hear its rumored to be unofficially better.

Maybe discuss which schools have stronger core sites or better chances to publish, but arguing about rankings of the unranked is embaressing.

Reactions: 2 users
It isn't policy.

Policy is: if you are biracial or in an interracial marriage, you are barred from admission at liberty.

This would be illegal and is not policy at all.

You just disagree with their ideology, which is biased. Just admit it. You are flat out biased. The more you talk, the more of a hypocrite you are.
I am biased against ignorance, bigotry and racism, which is their ideology. You say that as if I were going to deny it.

In reality, this is accurate. In the grand scheme of medicine, all DO schools are in whatever lowest arbitrary/ unranked tier you create. That's why this thread is senseless.

There are schools that have better access to rotations or research and maybe are more established making them better options, but that does not change how they would be ranked in any typical system used for med schools globally.

The "best" DO school and "worst" DO are in the same unranked tier. It's kinda sad to see such argument of subjective feelings about rank when objectively theres no argument. What's worse is to see DO students and premeds **** on some DO schools while being upset the vast majority of medicine looks down on all DO schools in general. All DO students are in the same boat. I guarantee NYU isn't going to take it's first DO for IM because they're from MSUCOM vs a new DO because they hear its rumored to be unofficially better.

Maybe discuss which schools have stronger core sites or better chances to publish, but arguing about rankings of the unranked is embaressing.
In the greatest scheme of ranks I would agree with you, but it is stupid to ignore the many details. Not all schools have the same rotations, research or student outcomes.

In the greatest scheme of ranks I would agree with you, but it is stupid to ignore the many details. Not all schools have the same rotations, research or student outcomes.

I, of course, completely agree with that. There are many DO schools I personally wouldn't feel comfortable attending for numerous reasons of my own.

However, none of the factors (rotations, etc) are used to rank medical schools and can be subjective. That's why I think it's reasonable to discuss pros and cons, which will be different for students with different career goals, but it doesn't make sense to tier the schools, IMO.