This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely believe it is a game. When I finally was admitted back into a university I met with their pre-health committee and indeed they told me that it is a game. They advised me on this grade replacement route and told me to look more into osteopathic medicine to determine if this would be a suitable route for me. Their exact words was something along the lines of "If you're going to play the game make sure you're at your best and can do nothing else to prepare". LOL Sounds like going to war, but as a non-traditional student trying to makeup for the past it truly is war. I had this planned for years but unfortunately did not prepare myself for change. *sigh*

One bit of advice that I have is check into which courses AACOMAS denotes as "science" courses. I brought up my science gpa taking courses in Health Services, Bio Anthropology, Dietics, Kinesiology etc since these courses are also counted towards the ever so critical sGPA. I'm just wondering at what point does it become worthless to continue taking undergraduate classes and more beneficial to take graduate sciences?

If you have all the core Pre Reqs out of the way, with Bs or better in each, I would only take graduate level coursework from here on out if this is what you want to ultimately do.

If I were you, I'd study my butt off for the MCAT (as everyone needs to) and see what happens. If you get a solid score for DO schools (505 or higher) you should then look into SMPS, or DIY post baccs of upper division science classes or grad school classes. Sounds like you have a pretty substantial upward trend already. If you can show the that you of now is not the you of then, I think you could get into one of the newer schools. From there, it's all about handling your business to get the residency you want.

The "old" DO schools that are really jockeying for rankings aren't gonna let you in most likely at this point, unless you get like a 520 MCAT. But the newer schools could be willing to take the very minor hit their overall matriculant GPA would take if you add things in other areas. A high MCAT would help most with this. But you need to round out the rest of your app too, you need DO LoRs, need more true clinical hours, maybe could look into medical positions in underserved community health care centers, etc. Your ECs sound good but from now on you need to operate with the mindset that you need to be exemplary in every possible way to have a chance that a program will overlook your low GPAs.

I think you could do all this, its just a question of if you want to. For starters, take this MCAT and see how you do. If you don't get an absurdly high score, I would not apply this upcoming cycle, and I certainly would not apply to LECOM for this current cycle.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have all the core Pre Reqs out of the way, with Bs or better in each, I would only take graduate level coursework from here on out if this is what you want to ultimately do.

If I were you, I'd study my butt off for the MCAT (as everyone needs to) and see what happens. If you get a solid score for DO schools (505 or higher) you should then look into SMPS, or DIY post baccs of upper division science classes or grad school classes. Sounds like you have a pretty substantial upward trend already. If you can show the that you of now is not the you of then, I think you could get into one of the newer schools. From there, it's all about handling your business to get the residency you want.

The "old" DO schools that are really jockeying for rankings aren't gonna let you in most likely at this point, unless you get like a 520 MCAT. But the newer schools could be willing to take the very minor hit their overall matriculant GPA would take if you add things in other areas. A high MCAT would help most with this. But you need to round out the rest of your app too, you need DO LoRs, need more true clinical hours, maybe could look into medical positions in underserved community health care centers, etc. Your ECs sound good but from now on you need to operate with the mindset that you need to be exemplary in every possible way to have a chance that a program will overlook your low GPAs.

I think you could do all this, its just a question of if you want to. For starters, take this MCAT and see how you do. If you don't get an absurdly high score, I would not apply this upcoming cycle, and I certainly would not apply to LECOM for this current cycle.

good luck!
What would you recommend OP does if AFTER acing an SMP, he still doesn't get in? I'm kinda in a similar boat. I'm finishing up an SMP at KCUMB program right now. My current GPA in the program is 3.7. I'm waitlisted at their DO school right now. I did the calculations, and even with straight As this semester, my cGPA and sGPA would be around 2.7. Is the door to med school closed if I dont get off the waitlist? I mean, it would take over 1000 years to raise that 2.7 to above 3.0 so that's definitely not gonna happen. Minus that, is there ANY other way into DO school? Even acing another SMP wouldn't put a dent in that 2.7. There are no DO SMPs with guaranteed acceptance. I'm retaking the MCAT in a couple weeks. First score was 498, but I'm scoring in the 505-509 range on practice tests now.

What would you recommend OP does if AFTER acing an SMP, he still doesn't get in? I'm kinda in a similar boat. I'm finishing up an SMP at KCUMB program right now. My current GPA in the program is 3.7. I'm waitlisted at their DO school right now. I did the calculations, and even with straight As this semester, my cGPA and sGPA would be around 2.7. Is the door to med school closed if I dont get off the waitlist? I mean, it would take over 1000 years to raise that 2.7 to above 3.0 so that's definitely not gonna happen. Minus that, is there ANY other way into DO school? Even acing another SMP wouldn't put a dent in that 2.7. There are no DO SMPs with guaranteed acceptance. I'm retaking the MCAT in a couple weeks. First score was 498, but I'm scoring in the 505-509 range on practice tests now.

I'd call up schools you're interested in and see if they'd be willing to at least get eyes on your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
They ALL say that they will, but you and I both know that's BS.

100% this. If I have to hear anouther DO school say "we look at everything and take a holistic view on the application" imma go crazy.

Reactions: 1 users

If you significantly improve your MCAT score, I imagine the combination of that with an early application and your SMP performance would probably get you in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did u do an SMP without gaurenteed linkage?
The only DO linked SMP that I know of that offers guaranteed ACCEPTANCE is VCOM. All other DO linked (and most MD linked SMPs) only offer guaranteed INTERVIEWS, not acceptances. And obviously, VCOM's SMP has a very limited number of spots and is highly competitive to get into.

The only DO linked SMP that I know of that offers guaranteed ACCEPTANCE is VCOM. All other DO linked (and most MD linked SMPs) only offer guaranteed INTERVIEWS, not acceptances. And obviously, VCOM's SMP has a very limited number of spots and is highly competitive to get into.

LECOM also if you get a 3.0 in the program

LECOM also if you get a 3.0 in the program
I failed a class in LECOM's post-bacc. But there's is also an interview, although most who get the 3.0 do get accepted. I'm using KCU's SMP as a "second chance" so to speak.

I failed a class in LECOM's post-bacc. But there's is also an interview, although most who get the 3.0 do get accepted. I'm using KCU's SMP as a "second chance" so to speak.

Do u mind if I PM u?