DO School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pattycake2904

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I realize it's sort of getting late but was hoping to get some advice/help with my DO school list. For context, I graduated from college this past April and am currently a Michigan resident.
Stats:
-GPA: 3.954
-sGPA: 3.978
-MCAT: 509
ECs:
-Clinical: ~1000 hours as a scribe in the ED, 120 hours as a phlebotomist
-Volunteering: ~220 at community soup kitchen, ~85 at community assisted living facility
-Research: currently have ~50-60 but have another research opportunity starting up at the end of August
-Shadowing: ~120 total shadowing hours with 50 of them being with DO physicians
-Other: ~2800 hours in agriculture on a commercial grain farm

My current school list includes MSUCOM, PCOM, DMU, KSU, ATSU, LECOM, RVUCOM, TouroCOM, and WVSOM.
Please feel free to share your thoughts on these and if I should make any changes. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

To me as a DO student the only thing lacking on your app for DO school is your lack of shadowing hours, I've been told that ideally you need at least 200. Other than that you're a really good candidate for the schools on your list. I would take RVUCOM off your list though. It's not a super reputable school compared to the rest of your list

Your shadowing is more than enough and included substantial time with DO physicians as well.

Take off RVU as mentioned and I assume KSU was meant to be KCU. You could add Marian and NYIT.

Members don't see this ad :)
... I've been told that ideally you need at least 200 [hours of shadowing] ...
I had about 100 hrs when I was applying in 2017, and had about 12 interview invites with a not so competitive app to begin with. So I'm pretty sure that is not true.

I had about 100 hrs when I was applying in 2017, and had about 12 interview invites with a not so competitive app to begin with. So I'm pretty sure that is not true.

I love that I spent dozens of hours shadowing family med for no damn reason then lmao