DO Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheComebackDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that rotating at DO programs is essential for matching, but what about COMLEX scores? I'm not sure what is considered competitive, ultra competitive and etc. While there is plenty of information regarding MD ENT board score averages, the COMLEX average of matched residents seems to be information I can't seem to find. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
can someone please comment on this? what are the general accepted applicants like (stats, etc)?

I think that a COMLEX of over 600 is considered a plus. In many (most?) of the DO ENT programs your audition rotation is more important than your scores. I'm not aware of any data on average matching scores. This is obviously in contrast to ACGME programs and may be considered a good or a bad thing depending where you're coming from I guess.

Keep in mind that I'm just involved in the decision process at one program and the others may be quite different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have friends who are going through the process this year. I'll try to provide more information after we see how the match goes.

Anyone on here match to any osteopathic ENT programs? The 2011 AOA match site lists only 22 positions (ouch!). What scores, class rank and grades are needed for interviews?

I simply would like to compliment TeamZissou of an awesome name. Top 5 favorite movies!

For most of the DO ENT world, a good personality/good rotation/good work ethic can make up for a less than stellar boards score. Also, the base students can have a big leg up in my opinion as well--that is if they have a good personality, than it shows over a longer period of time, and assuming they have good stats, than it will be difficult to take that position away from them.

With all that said, I think the previous poster was right that a magic number of 600 is what you need.

One exception to all this is PCOM's program--they function more like an MD program (probably because they all are MDs except for the director). Scores and research matter more than other DO ENT programs, and they really like to see the USMLE--not an absolute requirement by any stretch, but if you have good USMLE scores and good COMLEX scores, than you will have a leg up on the guy who has just good COMLEX scores. I'm guessing this is probably the case at other places that have a lot of MDs on the interview panel. PCOM also likes research. PCOM has the best clinical exposure in my opinion of all the programs.

Reactions: 1 user