Do programs actively reject you, or simply not invite you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When we apply to programs, some of them will send us invites, so they are obviously interested.

But what about the programs that aren't interested in you as a candidate? Do they send you a rejection message ("Sorry, we have filled all our interview slots and aren't interviewing any more"), or do they just let you hang there and hope that they just haven't gotten around to processing your app, even though they've already decided not to offer you an interview?

Thanks!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

When we apply to programs, some of them will send us invites, so they are obviously interested.

But what about the programs that aren't interested in you as a candidate? Do they send you a rejection message ("Sorry, we have filled all our interview slots and aren't interviewing any more"), or do they just let you hang there and hope that they just haven't gotten around to processing your app, even though they've already decided not to offer you an interview?

Thanks!:luck:

It's not that simple...I wish it was...but from what I understand some programs will contact you either way and some will only contact you if they offer an invite...you'd think after all the time and money we spent, they could at least drop a rejection email so we would know...but I know that isn't the case because some schools' web sites actually say they will only contact you if they invite for an interview. Good Luck!

Sometimes, programs will send out more interview invites than they have spaces...ie, they have 50 interview spots but send out 70 invitations

And then it becomes a free-for-all, checking emails multiple times a day -- I almost got burned on this, I accepted the interview invite like 2 days after it came in and they told me spaces were filled. I got on the waitlist and did end up going though....

It would be dumb to reject someone, especially if their application was not even complete.

It would be dumb to reject someone, especially if their application was not even complete.

Not really. Academic Programs in highly competitive residencies reject people based only on Step 1 scores and what school you attended medical school.

Not really. Academic Programs in highly competitive residencies reject people based only on Step 1 scores and what school you attended medical school.

No, really. A non-rejection is equal to a rejection, the difference is that a non-rejection can actually work in the program's favor if there is low interest in the program and they might actually fail to match 100%.

I think you two are talking about two different types of programs.