Do private, for-profit schools care if grads stay in state? Speculation on essay theme pandering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SevenLime

Reaction score
I'm speculating on the best practices to write an essay for a for-profit school.

Generally, very prestigious schools care little about their students having ties to the school's state. My theory is that as a school becomes stronger and more desirable (academic excellence, selective admissions, etc.), it becomes better able to resist state priorities that come with granted state money. Sound right?

Noorda, Rocky Vista, Burrell, etc don't get any public money, right? If so, they wouldn't care what the state wants. So it's safe to guess that for-profit schools don't care where their graduates go to practice. They just want their grads to make a lot of money somewhere.

Many schools ask why the student wants to go to this specific school. For most schools, I would answer this question by pushing my ties to the area. But when writing secondaries for such for-profit schools, should I not bother bringing up my ties to the state? Is it also safe to say we shouldn't bother mentioning rural towns and diversity because such schools don't care?

Members don't see this ad.

While what you are saying is true, schools want to know your ties to the area. Lots of the schools you have mentioned are very proud of their location and brag about preparing grads for the area the school is located but states like New Mexico, Utah and Idaho have very little GME, so they understand you will have to go else were to train. Their thought is that students will come back after residency, and some might. But overall you are way overthinking the for-profit thing just tell the schools what they want to hear especially if you have ties to the area. Schools generally don't like when your application says " I don't want to live here but I know this is my best chance at becoming a doctor so it's the only reason I am applying". and please don't mention their for-profit status in any applications.

I'm speculating on the best practices to write an essay for a for-profit school.

Generally, very prestigious schools care little about their students having ties to the school's state. My theory is that as a school becomes stronger and more desirable (academic excellence, selective admissions, etc.), it becomes better able to resist state priorities that come with granted state money. Sound right?

Noorda, Rocky Vista, Burrell, etc don't get any public money, right? If so, they wouldn't care what the state wants. So it's safe to guess that for-profit schools don't care where their graduates go to practice. They just want their grads to make a lot of money somewhere.

Many schools ask why the student wants to go to this specific school. For most schools, I would answer this question by pushing my ties to the area. But when writing secondaries for such for-profit schools, should I not bother bringing up my ties to the state? Is it also safe to say we shouldn't bother mentioning rural towns and diversity because such schools don't care?
I can't recommend any of those schools. Frankly, I think they don't give a damn about grads staying state but rather that you can get a loan for your tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They still want to know why they should interview you. And most schools have it somewhere in their mission statement that they want to serve their state/region.

But regardless of tax status, most admins don’t care if you live or die as long as your tuition check clears.

Reactions: 1 user
I would include your desire to stay in the area, but in fact the for profits only are concerned about the revenue. Possibly, as a secondary interest, your success, only if it makes them look good. Agree with the above. I do not recommend them. My nephew attended a for profit law school and failed the state bar 3 times YMMV.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users