Do physicians double boarded in ENT and plastics have hybrid practices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VoiceofReason

all i care about is money
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or do they generally dump ENT and do mostly plastics?

Also in that same vein is it unheard of to do a hand fellowship after ENT? Odd question, i know. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Clefts would seem like the most natural thing to do from that standpoint. I think someone at Iowa does that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clefts would seem like the most natural thing to do from that standpoint. I think someone at Iowa does that.

While clefts seem like the most natural sub-interest, most of the double-boarded guys I know do mainly cosmetics. The guy at Iowa who is double boarded and does mainly clefts is John Canady. He's a super guy, btw.

There's one guy in my town who did facial plastics fellowship but cont to do general ENT. Not sure why as there's huge demand for plastics where I am. Almost everyone I've met who's done both is exclusively cosmetic plastics.

There is one Hand fellow at my university who did ENT and then facial plastics first.

You need to clarify whether you are speaking of facial plastics or plastic and reconstructive surgery.

- If you mean facial plastics then your practice and how much general ENT you do will be based a lot on where you practice. Some facial plastics guys do only cosmetics (if the market will support it) but I've been given the impression that most use their facial plastics training as an interest in their practice but still do general ENT.

- if you mean PRS then my limited experience with this subset is they mainly do plastic surgery stuff but one guy I know is doing recon work on head and neck patients.

As an aside, I had no idea that ENT was an approved pathway for a hand fellowship. It seems a little silly to me to do ENT and then a hand fellowship unless you had a crisis of identity mid-residency and decided to become a hand surgeon. Not much way I can see a practice of general ENT and hand surgery. Would make for a weird referral base.

What about facial plastic guys who end up working for a hospital or a group? would a mix practice still be possible..? well, i guess anything's possible.. is this a common practice? I've seen plenty of facial plastic guys listed as staff for larger hospitals near by.

What about facial plastic guys who end up working for a hospital or a group? would a mix practice still be possible..? well, i guess anything's possible.. is this a common practice? I've seen plenty of facial plastic guys listed as staff for larger hospitals near by.

This is probably the most common situation in which you'll see a plastics guy do general ENT. Usually it's related to call because the group (especially if it's a sizeable group--more than 4) brought the guy in to be plastics, not general, but sometimes they do both depending on how the practice is. For example, in those situations it's very common for the plastics guy to do mixed for a while until the plastics part grows, but I'll tell you that once the money bug hits, they'll typically follow that unless they just don't like plastics patients which can be a huge pain.