DO physicians can get MD title?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yes, but in a different way - they're hot.

:D Too funny. I was mountain biking with some friends and these two girls stopped us to ask for directions to the intermediate trails. The hot one was a PT student. N = 1 but still...

Again I never made the attempt to argue WHY as it was you who wanted to pursue the why and the evidence based side of your argument because it was never part of mine. Your entire argument is based on one sentence taken out of context because you skimmed over the preceding sentence and you painted as black and white when I made no attempt to equate the two on grounds of evidence, practice rights, or the difference between the validity of each degree. My point was never based on the "acceptance of degree use." And yes it is hard to follow an argument when the other party wants to attack you for something you never said.

However, my point was and still remains that there are certain topics that we learn in school that we may not be thrilled about, but that is no reason to attack the student because that is what they must learn if they are in a DO program. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Look, I'm not here to defend OMM because my point was that regardless of what a student believes, if they have to learn it they have to learn it. Without getting super particular on whether they are based on fact or theory, which is what your argument has been this entire time, it stands that if you don't care about something but are required to learn it then you just have to suck it up and carry on. That's all I ever said. You can bash the validity of OMM all you want but I want no part in it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

When did I attack a student?

?? I never claimed that you attacked a student.

are you schizophrenic? there is no reason for you to reiterate points like that unless it has somehow been done. Nobody has attacked a student in any way and yet that is apparently a significant portion of your thesis. This is why this asinine argument has gone on so long.

• donkey brought up palpation and OMM diagnostics
  • I mentioned that a demo of manual diagnostics was one of the reasons I turned down a DO school
  • you said "to each his own, we also don't use ochem and physics"
  • and I and a few others said that while those statements may be true, the conclusion based on such a comparison is so entirely invalid that I have to occasionally check that I am not bleeding from the ears after reading it.

I can go back and quote a series of other things just like this where you make a point, and either that point is related to the conversation via context (for example the ones I respond to where you tell me I am putting words in your mouth) or the point has literally nothing to do with anything anyone is discussing. but it has to be one or the other... there is no middle ground here

you need to understand that it is not appropriate to make a point that does not have a basis in the conversation..... if nobody is attacking a student, saying it is inappropriate to attack one is completely irrelevant. It is also not ok to punch puppies. Im not sure what either of those statements has to do with this discussion or the progression above other than you deciding to mention it.

you didnt have to talk about the scientific validity of OMM and ochem. The topic at hand was whether or not OMM had scientific validity. that is the discussion YOU entered. So to disregard your comparison on the grounds of unequal scientific validity was completely normal on my part. You chose to draw a conclusion based on 1 completely coincidental and inconsequential similarity between two subjects.

that is all. if your point is that you don't care then there really isnt much I can argue with. that is an opinion and you are entitled to it. but that isnt what you are doing here.

On a side note Specter, if you were me and were waitlisted at an MD school with little chance of getting off of it but was accepted to a DO school would you really reject the offer of becoming a doctor in 4 years only to throw your name in the hat again and run the risk of not getting in anywhere the second time?

you could better answer that question because you know you better.

but if I were me, yes. I declined the DO school before hearing back from any MD schools. I had planned to go to graduate school and work on a PhD and reapply my 2nd year with hopes of leaving with a masters if it came to that, or completing the PhD. and if I am being honest, it would have been my 3rd application cycle. I disagree at a very fundamental level with

Members don't see this ad :)
:D Too funny. I was mountain biking with some friends and these two girls stopped us to ask for directions to the intermediate trails. The hot one was a PT student. N = 1 but still...

It's a law. Like water or dinosaurs.

1064874809.jpg

You ever take a look at PT manipulations? Pseudoscience and Quackery right there.

besides for the fact that he is doing rads, but if he were to get a patient that required post-operation rehab or simply had a workamcomp injury, i would think he would just call it quackery since all rehab is just non-evidence based manual therapy witchcraft :rolleyes:.

yo anthro its not just n=1, its like n=1 mill lol

Last edited:
besides for the fact that he is doing rads, but if he were to get a patient that required post-operation rehab or simply had a workamcomp injury, i would think he would just call BS since all rehab is just non-evidence based manual therapy witchcraft :rolleyes:t.

:laugh:

I'd be tempted.

And don't write me off completely for patient care, seriously considering IR.

There's plenty of evidence for the benefits of movement etc after certain types of surgery, and people need encouragement. Whether all of the specific principles people learn are valid or not doesn't really matter.

It's a bit like acupuncture vs pseudo acupuncture.

I'd be tempted.

There's plenty of evidence for the benefits of movement etc after certain types of surgery, and people need encouragement. Whether all of the specific principles people learn are valid or not doesn't really matter.

both work equally well :laugh:

I'd be tempted.

yeah ok man. i can totally see you as one of those guys who does nighthawk rads all day from home:smuggrin:

anyways as long as you can bill for the evidence based OMM, which you totally can.
its all good.

SpecterGT260, I am done with going on for pages and pages devoted to our argument. I never disagreed with you that craniosacral therapy sounds like and probably is BS. I also have problems with a technique that requires me to "get in tune" with the patient's rhythyms or whatever. Our argument was simply based on a silly comment I made of a situational comparison of having to learn crap that we don't care about.That's the only point I was trying to get across and it's really sad that we have gone back in forth since last night. I never attempted to disagree with you on the evidence behind craniosacral therapy, because I agree with you on this point and it was in no way a reason behind my original comment. I just don't think I would have declined a seat to medical school simply because I didn't agree with something that I don't have to practice if I don't want to. I haven't started OMM yet so it's entirely possible that I won't agree with much or any of it, in which case I can make the incredibly easy choice of not practicing any of it.

I respect and follow your devotion to evidence-based practices and wish you good luck in your career.

It varies by location. DOs are fairly well accepted in the Midwest, but if you're on the East coast, DOs have much less acceptance.

Personally, I would make the judgment of which physician to choose based upon a) medical school reputation and b) residency reputation.

DO schools are just low-mid tier (being generous) MD programs with a bit of magic thrown in...

As long as the physician got into a decent ACGME residency I might look past a DO degree, but DO + DO residency = would not trust the individual with myself, friends or family.
East coast: UNECOM; LECOM Seton Hill, Erie and Bradenton (FL); PCOM Philadelphia and Georgia; WVSOM; VCOM; Nova in FL; Campbell in NC (forming).

They're up and down the eastern seaboard.

This thread has turned into an argument. As such, it's done.

OP, as was stated before, you need to attend medical school again or pay a diploma mill to issue and MD after receiving a DO.

Status
Not open for further replies.