Do people who become doctors just because of their parents end up loving or hating their job?

superpom_7

Casually waiting for January 29th..
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. I've always wondered if people who became doctors just because it runs in the family or because their parents want them to (and not actually want to be a doctor themselves), end up loving their job and don't have any second thoughts. Do you think people who become doctors for the reasons above end up loving their job, if they didn't go into the field with that mindset? Of course it's possible for you to come around and start to love your job, but wouldn't it be hard to go into the medical field without having a love/dedication for it already?

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just curious. I've always wondered if people who became doctors just because it runs in the family or because their parents want them to (and not actually want to be a doctor themselves), end up loving their job and don't have any second thoughts. Do you think people who become doctors for the reasons above end up loving their job, if they didn't go into the field with that mindset? Of course it's possible for you to come around and start to love your job, but wouldn't it be hard to go into the medical field without having a love/dedication for it already?

:rolleyes:
Depends. Some people love medicine and their family forced them. Some love medicine and their family didn't force them. Some hate medicine and their family forced them. And some hate medicine and their family didn't force them. I also believe this is specialty dependent.

Being unhappy in life usually occurs when expectations/goals do not match with reality...

So based on a persons individual expectations (which are different for each person regardless if their parents were physicians), they may or may not be happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both of you guys made good points. There is nothing wrong with people having expectations/goals for themselves, and parents to have expectations for their children, so I guess I can see where parents' expectation of their child may affect the child. Personally, I would be really unhappy and probably miserable if my parents forced going to med school upon me and I didn't want to and didn't aspire to be a doctor. But because I want to pursue a career in medicine, even if my parents didn't want me to or really want me to, it would not affect what I ultimately wanted to do.

If your pursuits aren't personal (meaning, you're doing it for someone else), there's a good chance that you won't be fulfilled by them. Then again, when you grow up constantly immersed in a subject, it may actually become your passion too. But ALWAYS make sure you're following your own goals; life is too short not to.