Do people really pay $375 for Dr. Collins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer122

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of looking for PCAT study materials and I am deciding between Kaplan and Dr. Collins but I have heard much more positive things about Dr. Collins. However, Dr. Collins study guides are soooo expensive like $375 on pcatprepclass (this is the official website for Dr. Collins right?) so did you all really pay that much for it? While The Kaplan study guide is only $40 on Amazon, or am I mistaken?

So my questions are, how did you all find study materials for the PCAT? Did you pay lots of $$$ on them?

Members don't see this ad.

I bought the 2. I was able to get the Dr Collins on Amazon for $120 I think it's very scarce on Amazon you have to keep checking because people put it and before you know it, it's sold.
I think Dr Collins is better than the Kaplan. I used that mostly and use Kaplan for biology.

I bought the 2. I was able to get the Dr Collins on Amazon for $120 I think it's very scarce on Amazon you have to keep checking because people put it and before you know it, it's sold.
I think Dr Collins is better than the Kaplan. I used that mostly and use Kaplan for biology.

wow that's an incredibly a good deal! I was able to buy Dr. Collins the 2017 version on Ebay today for $210 and I thought I found gold LOL

I am in the middle of looking for PCAT study materials and I am deciding between Kaplan and Dr. Collins but I have heard much more positive things about Dr. Collins. However, Dr. Collins study guides are soooo expensive like $375 on pcatprepclass (this is the official website for Dr. Collins right?) so did you all really pay that much for it? While The Kaplan study guide is only $40 on Amazon, or am I mistaken?

So my questions are, how did you all find study materials for the PCAT? Did you pay lots of $$$ on them?

I came across many people praising Dr. Collins, and it made me quite nervous because I did not purchase it. I used Kaplan and the Pearson practice exams, and ultimately, I feel that they prepared me well for biology and chemistry. For quantitative reasoning, however, I think it would be better to learn from the practice exams and to identify what you need to study from those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have studied the material from Kaplan and now I am testing myself from Collins, but I found their questions weird. I mean there is only one or two passages for bio/chem section when I know should be 5-7 passages on the actual test. Do you think I should do Crack The Pcat and practice from that source? I am also going to practice Pearson's tests but I don't feel their 3 tests are enough to practice.

I have the Kaplan book, and its very in-depth, especially Biology, I would say Chemistry comes in at a second place, the rest is just tacked on, especially quantitative, that section barely scratches the surface. Now here's a kicker for ya, I had a meeting with a pharmacy faculty member today and I mentioned I had been studying for the PCAT and she told me what I should do, from her own mouth, she said take the Pearson practice exams, she asked what other study materials do you have? I said I have the Kaplan book, and next thing I know she says "Dr. Collins is a really good source to study from"......so from all I have read, and I have read A LOT!! its down to two sources at least, Kaplan and Dr. Collins if you're searching on the PCAT for study it's Pearson exams, Kaplan review, and study Dr. Collins, now some folks may not need as much as others but if you're like me and want to cover it all, Im planning on coughing up the cash for Dr. Collins no doubt about it

Reactions: 1 user