Do People Bring Pets Into Your Retail Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see this a lot. I've seen dogs like Chihuahuas and even a ferret.
I don't really think that animals should be in a pharmacy because that wouldn't be sanitary.

People must think they're in PetSmart or something. Hey... it's all just retail, right? (Someone carried her dog into Autozone tonight.)

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a lot of pocket/purse-type dogs in the pharmacy, even though there's a sign outside the grocery store that says "no animals except service animals." One lady brought a cat in and claimed it was her service animal.

I don't really care unless they make a mess or are loud. Although it's been annoying trying to counsel someone while they baby-talk to their dog.

Members don't see this ad :)
heh, we have one lady that brings in her dog, its a mini poodle and it looks like a stuffed animal. There was a small dog that ran into the store one time, but it ran right back out after a lap or two.

heh, we have one lady that brings in her dog, its a mini poodle and it looks like a stuffed animal. There was a small dog that ran into the store one time, but it ran right back out after a lap or two.

Oh give it up. I saw you riding your pack mule to work the other night. Did you leave him in the front or the back of the store while you worked? :p

Do you think I should bring my miniature poodle to classes this week?

I could train him to bark whenever anyone raises their hand and says, "Ummm yeah, I have a QUESTION??" Or the people in kinetics lab who ask questions that get Dr. W going and end up making the issue WAY muddy and complicated. Actually, I'd probably train him to hike his leg on the lab offenders. :D

:laugh: I've heard about that lab section.. we get done is <1 hour and then that section doesn't get finished in the 2 hours. I've dodged the bullet of not having any of the all-star questioners in my small group *knock on wood*.

I haven't seen any pets at our pharmacy, but I did see a lady try to sneak a dog into the CCU this week at my rotation site. The nurses wouldn't have any part of that and they ran her out... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen any pets at our pharmacy, but I did see a lady try to sneak a dog into the CCU this week at my rotation site. The nurses wouldn't have any part of that and they ran her out... :laugh:

My friend was in the hospital awaiting heart surgery and we had to get permission to bring his dog in to visit him. He had a 50/50 chance of surviving his surgery and wanted to see his best friend before the operation in case he couldn't afterward. We had to compromise with the hospital in that they allowed him to come down to the lobby and see the dog. I'm glad we were able to do that because although he lived through the operation he had a stroke soon after and is in a coma. :(

Really, I'm surprised that more people don't request to have visits from their pets in the hospital. I'd want to hug my dogs one more time if I thought I was going to go to sleep for surgery with only a 50% chance of waking up.

Seriously most of the pets I know are cleaner then lots of people I know, so that whole sanitary thing goes out the window. I would think the bigger problem is all the foodstuffs on the lower shelves that might be a problem.

Hell if I owned a pharmacy I'd let pets in, because I could probably get more traffic that way.

Seriously most of the pets I know are cleaner then lots of people I know, so that whole sanitary thing goes out the window. I would think the bigger problem is all the foodstuffs on the lower shelves that might be a problem.

Hell if I owned a pharmacy I'd let pets in, because I could probably get more traffic that way.
What about patients with allergies? Pets shed their hair and dander.

Really, I'm surprised that more people don't request to have visits from their pets in the hospital. I'd want to hug my dogs one more time if I thought I was going to go to sleep for surgery with only a 50% chance of waking up.

I would definitely want to see my dogs too if it might be my time to go...

This lady should have checked with the hospital first though. She was potentially compromising the health of the other CCU patients.

we have 2 therapy dogs that wander the halls of my hospital. patient love them....and they make the employees pretty happy, too!

Much agreed on this one. My horse and my fiances donkey smells better than some people that I sit next to in class day in and day out ;)

Not the people to your LEFT! :mad::mad::smuggrin:

Well that is true, the people to my left has learned good hygiene, however, the people to my right, that is questionable. Learn to shower every day :D

There's this guy in my class that smells so bad :barf:. I don't know because he doesn't shower or because of the food he cooks at home. I've smelled this on many Indians before. Sorry...I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't yell at me.

There's this guy in my class that smells so bad :barf:. I don't know because he doesn't shower or because of the food he cooks at home. I've smelled this on many Indians before. Sorry...I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't yell at me.

I sit next to a person who just doesn't shower. It's not being mean. They are in professional school they should at least know how to shower.

Well that is true, the people to my left has learned good hygiene, however, the people to my right, that is questionable. Learn to shower every day :D

I think that what we are smelling is RxWildcat and his krew ripping them off in the back of the room. :smuggrin::laugh:

I sit next to a person who just doesn't shower. It's not being mean. They are in professional school they should at least know how to shower.
Weren't they interviewed? I didn't think the adcoms would let in stinkies. :laugh:

Weren't they interviewed? I didn't think the adcoms would let in stinkies. :laugh:

Well they did and our school is pretty competitive to get into to. To top if off he doesn't have good communication skills either. Most of the time he just grunts.

They should also know not to blow their nose on notes!

What about patients with allergies? Pets shed their hair and dander.

What about my allergies when people wear heavily musky perfumes. It's just as bothersome. What about the dust in the store? What about the allergens right outside the entrance?

Here's a shocking idea, put a sign up, we love pets bring them in. Since I'm allergic to some cats it's not like I don't know what I'm getting into. Furthermore, if I team up with a vet and boarding service it's easier to talk about proper pet maintenance, which includes regular brushing and baths. Think of that, a non-PO method of handling allergies. *GASP* Damn near criminal, I know.

Here's a shocking idea, put a sign up, we love pets bring them in. Since I'm allergic to some cats it's not like I don't know what I'm getting into. Furthermore, if I team up with a vet and boarding service it's easier to talk about proper pet maintenance, which includes regular brushing and baths. Think of that, a non-PO method of handling allergies. *GASP* Damn near criminal, I know.
That's ridiculous.

How about setting up a doctor's office right next to your crazy idea, and then we can all sit in the same waiting room together! Who knows... maybe I'll get tapeworms and then you'll have to fill my script even though I was only there for my annual check-up. :rolleyes:
Better yet... let's add a donut shop next door too where Fluffy and I could get our usual.

I would rather people bring their pets than kids... but that's me.

On Christmas I snuck my dogs into work to say hi to coworkers but took them home before I came in for my shift. (shh. the security cameras saw me but no one has said anything. I had to sneak them up the elevator and everything.)

I've encountered several families bringing a pet for a patient - they always bring the patient into the hallway to visit outside the unit so other patients are not exposed. Obviously if one is in the ICU then the pet can't come in, but if they're stable enough to even be wheeled out on their bed I think there is a huge therapeutic benefit there.

I'm pretty sure most horses smell better than many people. I miss the horsey smell :(

Well they did and our school is pretty competitive to get into to. To top if off he doesn't have good communication skills either. Most of the time he just grunts.

"Point and Grunt" = the new standard in patient counseling

They should also know not to blow their nose on notes!

Yes, indeedy. But they don't! :barf:

Are you the one who causes the ruckus at Office Depot every once in awhile?

It was STAPLES. :p

Probably...especially when I bring my 20 ink cartridges in for a discount.

And make me spend lots of $$$ on things I "need."

hey, we have to get noticed somehow, with all the attention ****** up in the front and all :eek: :D

Here's a quick primer on how to get my (non-positive) attention:
  • Eat raw brussel sprouts in class.
  • Wear hand lotion that smells like Deep Woods Off.
  • Say, "I have a question?"
  • Come in late, slouch in your seat and fall asleep until your head snaps to the side. Then sit up and look around to see who saw. Repeat.
  • Don't take a bath.
  • Don't change your clothes.
  • Don't brush your teeth.
  • Wait until everyone in your row is seated and then come in and climb over all of them. Smack me in the head with your ginormous computer/purse/backpack.
  • Burn popcorn and bring it in the classroom. Wave the bag around in the air to cool it off. Ignore coughing classmates all around you. Crunch loudly.
  • Spill your drink on the floor under the seats. Giggle as you watch the river of soda snake its way downhill toward the front of the room. Say, "hhehehe OOOPS!" when someone gives you the death look for getting their stuff wet.
  • Be "the Pet."
  • Be "DragonKhan."
  • Be named "Amphoterrible" or "Master PgP."
Did I miss anything? :smuggrin:

Well, this hasn't happened in a while but I miss the aspercreme to clean your arm rest. Oh and how can you forget the hand.

That's ridiculous.

Not really, being violently allergic to cats, it made living with not one but two possible. That aside, owner-pet centric stores make good money in the areas I want to live, so as a money grubbing bastage it only makes sense.

Also if hospitals and LTC facilities can have pets in their building full time, logic only dictates we could probably manage to have transient pets in a pharmacy store.

I have to admit I showed one of my patients how to pill her cat. Explanation was not good enough and 15 minutes later---patient and "Mr. Kitty" (a 28 pound feline) show up.

Don't rat me out to the state board. She obtained the rx legally. Wanna guess what it was for?

Ah hell, if pharmacists can immunize, what's stopping us from starting an AI service in the drive-thru?

EUREKA! What a cool idea!

I'm sorry, all I could read was a 28 POUND CAT! I would like to think my cat would get tired of eating and fall asleep before she doubled her weight (and I thought she was fat already!)

I have to admit I showed one of my patients how to pill her cat. Explanation was not good enough and 15 minutes later---patient and "Mr. Kitty" (a 28 pound feline) show up.

Don't rat me out to the state board. She obtained the rx legally. Wanna guess what it was for?

Ah hell, if pharmacists can immunize, what's stopping us from starting an AI service in the drive-thru?

EUREKA! What a cool idea!

I agree that it can be hard to demonstrate proper cat-pilling without actually using a cat (I've had almost 0% failure on LOTS of cats by using the one-hand behind the head, squeezing the sides of the mouth technique). Luckily, all of the vets that I've worked for have had one or two willing in-clinic cats to use as dummies.

I'm LOL-ing at drive-thru AI. I could totally see it. "Mr. Brown, back up Bessie a little more, no, a little more. STOP!" It would be a good way to keep warm on cold days, too! You could even do drive-thru preg checks afterwards.

I'm LOL-ing at drive-thru AI. I could totally see it. "Mr. Brown, back up Bessie a little more, no, a little more. STOP!" It would be a good way to keep warm on cold days, too! You could even do drive-thru preg checks afterwards.

Mmmm, yeah. Now the stupid drive-thru would have a REAL purpose!

Why didn't I think of this before???:smuggrin:

I can see everybody fighting over cleanup, though...

I just wanna wear my overalls, boots, and sexy arm-length gloves held in place with hemostats...to work EVERY DAY!