Do PA schools accept MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not sure if this thread belongs to here. Please get it moved to the appropriate place if needed.

My friend was originally planning to apply to medical (MD) schools and she has been preparing for the MCAT test for like a year. Due to family issue, she changes her career plan and now she wants to go to PA school instead.

My question is: Can she still go ahead and take the MCAT, and then use the MCAT score to substitute for the GRE needed by PA schools? That will be great if she can do it in this way, because she has always been working really hard preparing the MCAT test, and I am quite certain that she can do pretty good on the MCAT. On the other hand, since she is not a native english speaker, dealing with the verbal part of the GRE might be a pain for her.

Thanks for answering my question, guys.:)

-longhorn09

Members don't see this ad.

Please let me specify that she is mainly interested in those PA schools in Texas since she's a Texas resident.

Every Texas program I know of requires the GRE; MCAT is not an option.

Members don't see this ad :)
If she is well prepared for the MCAT, she should be able to do well on the GRE (of course she should familiarize herself with the GRE at least a little bit.)

Three. I believe that there is one non-CASPA program also that takes them. Better off taking the GRE.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Actually I count 6. I was just stating for purpose of information. If the person in question has been prepping for the MCAT and lives close to one of the schools that take the MCAT, it would seem reasonable to continue with the test. The GRE is it's own nightmare, a different ball of wax.

Actually I count 6. I was just stating for purpose of information. If the person in question has been prepping for the MCAT and lives close to one of the schools that take the MCAT, it would seem reasonable to continue with the test. The GRE is it's own nightmare, a different ball of wax.
Four of them are the same school with two different programs and two different campuses. PA school is competitive enough that if you limit yourself to MCAT schools its unlikely someone will get in. If you are serious about PA school then you will take the GRE. If you are using it as a backup then its pretty obvious.

David Carpenter, PA-C