Do Osteopathic Derm residencies participate in the AOA match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was checking out http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/ which is the AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program website and I didnt see any Derm programs listed for participating in the match. Do they have their own match or do they just sign contracts with ppl they like? So do you have to contact them separatly to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

each program exists independently and "play by their own rules" as far as applications, funding and pay, and prior residency at thier own or other institutions required to be considered.

each program exists independently and "play by their own rules" as far as applications, funding and pay, and prior residency at thier own or other institutions required to be considered.

Do you know where I can find info on which places require a prior residency before they consider you? I really dont want to start another residency if I know what I want to do. Also, do you mean they negotiate what they want to pay you? That would really suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the programs participate in the match. You have to apply independently to each program. Go to AOCD online for a list of current programs. 2 programs require an FP residency first, and 2 require IM. The remainder require an internship. You apply during your internship year, and there are no guarantees or linked spots available. Not all programs are funded which means if you get in one that isn't you must be independently wealthy, moonlight, or sell your soul to a derm practice ahead of time (the tradeoff being they pay you less when you get done, and you have to work for them for xxx years).

Good luck.

None of the programs participate in the match. You have to apply independently to each program. Go to AOCD online for a list of current programs. 2 programs require an FP residency first, and 2 require IM. The remainder require an internship. You apply during your internship year, and there are no guarantees or linked spots available. Not all programs are funded which means if you get in one that isn't you must be independently wealthy, moonlight, or sell your soul to a derm practice ahead of time (the tradeoff being they pay you less when you get done, and you have to work for them for xxx years).

Good luck.

Doesn't it seem immoral to allow an unfunded program to exist?

Immoral?, Maybe. Institutional funding just isn't there for the spots. I don't think they get any complaints from applicants, though.

Doesn't it seem immoral to allow an unfunded program to exist?

I don't think it's much different from how dentist sometimes don't get paid for orthodontists training, I've even heard some of them even pay the program tuition to be trained as orthodontists. But I know once they are all done it's all gravy from there.

You need to check on what the gossip column says literally. Many programs have already promised their spots to well-connected medical students years in advance. You would not even want to waste your time with those.