Do optometrist get Dr. status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would people call you a doctor if you graduate from optometry?
curious :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

YES AND NO.
MAYBE IN U.S.A. THEY WOULD CALL OPTOMETRIST AS DOCTOR HOWEVER, IN KOREA AND OTHER NATIONS THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED DOCTORS. NOT TRYING TO PUT ANYONE FEEL BAD BUT THIS IS WHAT I HAVE OBSERVED TRAVELING AROUND THE WORLD.

PEACE.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kunsan
YES AND NO.
MAYBE IN U.S.A. THEY WOULD CALL OPTOMETRIST AS DOCTOR HOWEVER, IN KOREA AND OTHER NATIONS THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED DOCTORS. NOT TRYING TO PUT ANYONE FEEL BAD BUT THIS IS WHAT I HAVE OBSERVED TRAVELING AROUND THE WORLD.

PEACE.:cool:

That's because in most countries Optometry is not a doctor-level degree. In many countries, Optometry is a technical degree that often times only require three years of college after high school. These optometrists aren?t called doctors, because they are little more than what an optician is in the U.S. They are not allowed to prescribe any medications at all, or diagnose any diseases. As a matter of fact, someone once told me that in Italy optometrists aren?t even allowed to prescribe contact lenses, but I?m not sure whether that?s true or not.

no, you are wrong on that, they do eye exam and provide glasses and contact lenses. I often get glasses and contacts from asian contries.:clap: :D :clap: :D :clap:

Wrong on what? On the Italy thing? Probably so.

I was just wondering what profession I should go into so that people will call me "dude" (even though I'm a "chick").

That's a tough one- maybe fast food?

Originally posted by r_salis
I was just wondering what profession I should go into so that people will call me "dude" (even though I'm a "chick").

Simple.

Graduate from optometry school AND an osteopathic school.
Therefore, you have your OD and DO (the public and most premeds confuse those two anyway)

Therefore, you will be

r_salis, D.O., O.D.

OR

r_salis, DO OD = DOOD = "dude"