Do not go to LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this thread is long... took me forever to read through.

And the reason I read the thread was due to what I had heard about LECOM throughout the past three years of applying.

Two years ago, I was on the waiting list (really low) at an allopathic program, so I met with the dean of admissions there to talk about my options for the future. He told me that I seemed like a good candidate for osteopathic medicine since I was interested in primary care, was non-traditional, and seemed like a very well-rounded person that just didn't make the cut in their 'point' system (yea, I was surprised he admitted they had a point system). He pointed out a few options, told me that he had collegues and friends from various osteopathic programs and told me a few schools that he thought were very, very good programs... but he went to point out that LECOM might be one to avoid... which then lead to how I shouldn't even consider the Caribbean program.

I just found it odd that he would point out one school so specifically.

Then, this year, I spoke with a handful of DO's in Colorado about various aspects of osteopathic medicine. One was from LECOM, so I asked him about the school, remembering what the dean said. The guy gave the 'meh' look, and told me that it's not for everyone. The two doctors from Kirksville pointed out that the town is small, etc... but they smiled and said they would highly recommend the school. The doctors from KCOM and PCOM were both really happy about their experience as well.

In my opinion, and that's all it is, is that every single person from a program is an ambassador to the program. Sure, no one is going to be completely satisfied with all aspects of a school, but it shouldn't also mean that someone would hesitate to recommend the school to others.

That's why I applied to most of the programs, but left LECOM off the list. My loss? Maybe. But I think if this is a place that will prepare me for the rest of my professional life, I want to be pretty sure about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Junkster said:

And the reason I read the thread was due to what I had heard about LECOM throughout the past three years of applying.

Two years ago, I was on the waiting list (really low) at an allopathic program, so I met with the dean of admissions there to talk about my options for the future. He told me that I seemed like a good candidate for osteopathic medicine since I was interested in primary care, was non-traditional, and seemed like a very well-rounded person that just didn't make the cut in their 'point' system (yea, I was surprised he admitted they had a point system). He pointed out a few options, told me that he had collegues and friends from various osteopathic programs and told me a few schools that he thought were very, very good programs... but he went to point out that LECOM might be one to avoid... which then lead to how I shouldn't even consider the Caribbean program.

Then, this year, I spoke with a handful of DO's in Colorado about various aspects of osteopathic medicine. One was from LECOM, so I asked him about the school, remembering what the dean said. The guy gave the 'meh' look, and told me that it's not for everyone. The two doctors from Kirksville pointed out that the town is small, etc... but they smiled and said they would highly recommend the school. The doctors from KCOM and PCOM were both really happy about their experience as well.

In my opinion, and that's all it is, is that every single person from a program is an ambassador to the program. Sure, no one is going to be completely satisfied with all aspects of a school, but it shouldn't also mean that someone would hesitate to recommend the school to others.

That's why I applied to most of the programs, but left LECOM off the list. My loss? Maybe. But I think if this is a place that will prepare me for the rest of my professional life, I want to be pretty sure about it.

I was accepted at nearly all of the DO schools and some allopathic in TX and I decided to start this august at LECOM b/c of the Independent Study Program. It just depends on what your learning style is.... Some of these threads have been giving me some doubt about LECOM, but the assistant director of the ISP program is a very nice woman and the other faculty I met were nice as well.

ISP is definately the way to go. :thumbup: In my entire life I've never learned anything from a science lecture. But since I'm so OCD, I still went to all of them :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Junkster said:

The whole thing about lecom is that the Feretti's want things done their way. If you are a mature person you can follow the rules and you will have no problem at this school. Also, if you take the time to get to know them you will find out they are on your side and just want the best for you. Most of the people who have listed problems with Lecom have listed problems about rules, well your going to have to follow rules the rest of your life. It's all about maturity!

If only one person decides not to go to LECOM or the Bradenton campus, I will feel better. I went to Bradenton, and left. It was horrible. Do not go there. They lie. They told me I could do my rotations in Pittsburgh. I could not. All the rotations up North are first filled by the Erie students. They don't pay the hospitals for rotations. They pocket all your 3rd and 4th year money. And, it looks like 40+ first year students won't even be allowed to take step one because they are doing so poorly!!! That's because PBL there is a FIASCO!!!

PBL-- A good idea, but they have no idea how to run it. I had a psychologist as a "moderator" who didn't know any basic sciences, and a secretary, who while nice, also clueless. She has since quit. PBL time is often a total waste, so you just spend all your time teaching yourself the basic sciences. TEACHING YOURSELF. That is not the way PBL is supposed to work. You may as well be in correspondence medical school.

I didn't meet anyone there who actually liked it. You get NO education from the faculty. If you have a question, they just look at you like you are an idiot. Good times.

There is more and more and more... but suffice it to say-- CANCEL if you are going to go there. Go somewhere else, anywhere else. The Ferretti's, especially Anthony, well, are just plain greedy and mean.

I have wasted so much time and money at the school, I will no longer EVER be a doctor, I can't afford it. So please save yourselves!

And so you know, I was one of the best students there, most of my colleques looked up to me and asked me for help. I had some great friends there and will miss them. But it just isn't worth it. Good luck to you all. And call me when the class action law suit against LECOM happens.

Just my two cents, but I'm someone who loves PBL at LECOM-B. Guess I'm the only one, or you just haven't met any of the people I know.

allendo said:
The whole thing about lecom is that the Feretti's want things done their way. If you are a mature person you can follow the rules and you will have no problem at this school. Also, if you take the time to get to know them you will find out they are on your side and just want the best for you. Most of the people who have listed problems with Lecom have listed problems about rules, well your going to have to follow rules the rest of your life. It's all about maturity!

It has nothing to do with rules. I don't think I mentioned rules once in my posts. Trust me, people hating it here has nothing to do with rules. They want the best for us? Is that why they wouldn't register our school with the NBME so we could register for the USMLE? Is that why we aren't allowed to have a chapter of the AMA? Is that why we were left high and dry when it came to rotations?

Tadgie said:
Just my two cents, but I'm someone who loves PBL at LECOM-B. Guess I'm the only one, or you just haven't met any of the people I know.

Why?? I guess you would also love going to medschool online, because that is the equivalent. University of Phoenix College of Osteopathic Medicine here we come.

No, I like being able to discuss with other people, teachers and students, what some passage in a book or a powerpoint means just in case me or someone else doesn't fully understand it. PBL gives you the extra time to do that, and yes, I am learning most of it on my own because that's the way I have always been. I personally chose PBL just because of this reason, because I know that I would go crazy sitting in lectures 6-8 hours a day and then having to go home and go over it all over again. It all comes down to personal preference.
If you're like me and you like to be a self driven learner and can learn things on your own, then by all means do PBL, it would probably do good. If you like having the meat of the information laid out so that you don't have to waste time reading through the fluff or unrelated issues, then by all means do Lecture. It's all personal preference.
I personally like reading through all the fluff because on occasion I come across something that interests me and keeps my attention focused. I would be surfing the web in a lecture class after the first two hours, that's just how I am.
PBL isn't for everyone, especially since for most people its a completely new concept. Case and point, this last exam which was mostly neuro. Just the nature of neuro makes it difficult with PBL because of the sheer volume of info and its somewhat ambiguous nature. I heard a number of people complaining because they ended up studying things that weren't on the test, and things they glossed over were the bulk of the test. I had a plan, stuck to it, and it worked. Yeah, some of it was luck that I studied the right thing, but most of it was that I understand the idead behind PBL and what info they're trying to get across to us.

Before I go on too much more, think twice about whether you do PBL. Not everyone can do it, not that its a bad thing if you can't, just that certain people learn better in certain situations. If you think you can do it, by all means do, its an excellent way to learn.

MHC said:
They told me I could do my rotations in Pittsburgh. I could not. All the rotations up North are first filled by the Erie students.

Sam's doing all of his 3rd year rotations in Pittsburgh except for the first two. I'm sorry that you couldn't make it. I guess that means that ALL the rotations aren't taken by Erie students, just Erie students and Bradenton students other than you.

You know, the most incredible thing out of your post was that you didn't meet anyone who likes LECOM-B. Maybe you should have gone out and met some more people because I know plenty of people who like it.

The bottom line is that PBL isn't for everyone. They give you a complete description of the process before you even enter the school, telling you that you'll probably spend 8 hours a day studying on your own. Did you think that they were joking about that? I'm sorry that you made the mistake of going there, but you really should 'fess up here and let people know that the real fault was your own. You made a mistake by going there. You are one of those people who need a little more personal attention than PBL gives, but that's OK. Plenty of people need that. Still, blaming and bad-mouthing the school is not the way to go about it.

Neuro was an SOB for my class also at LECOM-E (2006) for the exact reasons you've stated here.
I know several (at least 10) people that the USMLE so I have no idea what the "...not registered with NBME..." stuff is that you are refering to.
Anyway I had absolutely no issues while attending LECOM and they may be "greedy" or whatever but I'll be starting the residency I wanted in July so... I think your education is exactly what it states it is in the long run, YOURS!

Non-Trad DO said:
...they may be "greedy" or whatever but I'll be starting the residency I wanted in July so... I think your education is exactly what it states it is in the long run, YOURS!

To me, it's hard to label any osteopathic medical school with one of the lowest out-of-state tuitions around as "greedy."

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-Trad DO said:
I know several (at least 10) people that the USMLE so I have no idea what the "...not registered with NBME..." stuff is that you are refering to.

Bradenton campus wouldn't register, we had to go through Erie. "We are an osteopathic school so we will not talk to the NBME."

scpod said:
Sam's doing all of his 3rd year rotations in Pittsburgh except for the first two. I'm sorry that you couldn't make it. I guess that means that ALL the rotations aren't taken by Erie students, just Erie students and Bradenton students other than you.

He got lucky (or benefitted from being SGA Pres, who knows). Getting the rotations you wanted was a total crapshoot. There were a lucky few and an unlucky many.

Tadgie said:
No, I like being able to discuss with other people, teachers and students, what some passage in a book or a powerpoint means just in case me or someone else doesn't fully understand it. PBL gives you the extra time to do that, and yes, I am learning most of it on my own because that's the way I have always been. I personally chose PBL just because of this reason, because I know that I would go crazy sitting in lectures 6-8 hours a day and then having to go home and go over it all over again. It all comes down to personal preference.
If you're like me and you like to be a self driven learner and can learn things on your own, then by all means do PBL, it would probably do good. If you like having the meat of the information laid out so that you don't have to waste time reading through the fluff or unrelated issues, then by all means do Lecture. It's all personal preference.
I personally like reading through all the fluff because on occasion I come across something that interests me and keeps my attention focused. I would be surfing the web in a lecture class after the first two hours, that's just how I am.
PBL isn't for everyone, especially since for most people its a completely new concept. Case and point, this last exam which was mostly neuro. Just the nature of neuro makes it difficult with PBL because of the sheer volume of info and its somewhat ambiguous nature. I heard a number of people complaining because they ended up studying things that weren't on the test, and things they glossed over were the bulk of the test. I had a plan, stuck to it, and it worked. Yeah, some of it was luck that I studied the right thing, but most of it was that I understand the idead behind PBL and what info they're trying to get across to us.

Before I go on too much more, think twice about whether you do PBL. Not everyone can do it, not that its a bad thing if you can't, just that certain people learn better in certain situations. If you think you can do it, by all means do, its an excellent way to learn.

I agree about lecture being a waste, which is why I chose PBL. But in hindsight, the best choice would have been a lecture school with no attendance policy - because PBL is just as much a waste of time.

Porphyria said:
I agree about lecture being a waste, which is why I chose PBL. But in hindsight, the best choice would have been a lecture school with no attendance policy - because PBL is just as much a waste of time.

i.e. ISP at LECOM-Erie:-D

Porphyria said:
It has nothing to do with rules. I don't think I mentioned rules once in my posts. Trust me, people hating it here has nothing to do with rules. They want the best for us? Is that why they wouldn't register our school with the NBME so we could register for the USMLE? Is that why we aren't allowed to have a chapter of the AMA? Is that why we were left high and dry when it came to rotations?
I know plenty of people taking the USMLE!! I don't know what your problem is there. The AMA thing is b/c they are hardcore D.O. I don't know the situation with rotations but I'm staying in Erie for mine so I don't think I'll have a problem.

allendo said:
I know plenty of people taking the USMLE!! I don't know what your problem is there. The AMA thing is b/c they are hardcore D.O. I don't know the situation with rotations but I'm staying in Erie for mine so I don't think I'll have a problem.

I already said, Bradenton wouldn't register us, we had to go through Erie.

Porphyria said:
Bradenton campus wouldn't register, we had to go through Erie. "We are an osteopathic school so we will not talk to the NBME."

So's Erie, what am I missing?

Finances go through Erie too, joys of going to a new school.

Tadgie said:
So's Erie, what am I missing?

Finances go through Erie too, joys of going to a new school.

Thanks to OSUdoc. I think this image is right for this thread.

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Why.Won't.This.Thread.Die...

oops, I guess I just kept it going...

DOtobe said:
Why.Won't.This.Thread.Die...

oops, I guess I just kept it going...

I know, I am such a hypocrite!

As far as LECOM-B is concerned I think that there are many people that have been unhappy in the last year or two depending on which class you are in for various reasons. MHC was a wonderful student and friend and I was sad when I heard of the decision for departure. I know that PBL is not for everyone and most people that chose to come here I would hope knew enough from the interview/personal research about what they were getting into. There are some kinks in the program though and I'm hoping since they just sent out a survey in regards to PBL they will actually listen to what the students had to say and make some of the necessary changes. If not oh well. We're only in there for 2 years and it really is up to ourselves to learn everything we need to for boards.

MHC - I miss you dearly... the NPG were sad to see you leave. I hope that all is well in your current and future ventures in life. ~Q

I had a fantastic experience interviewing at LECOM. It was a small relaxed atmosphere. There were students and administrators taking us around and able to answer questions at any point. I've been to other interviews where there were over 20 other students there interviewing; it makes you feel less like an individual and more like just a statistic. At LECOM there were 5 interviewees, including me. It was very laid back, the interview was short and sweet, and I left truly wanting to spend my next four years in Erie.

People are going to have different impressions of schools, and there are plenty of schools so people can find the one that fits them best. To everyone posting on this board: share your story but don't spread it like it's truth. I've met plenty of LECOM grads that were happy with their education and well-prepared in residency. I even had students from other DO schools tell me that LECOM had an excellent program and to go to LECOM rather than their own school! - simply because they knew that the LECOM grads were well-prepared. Even the docs running the residency program highly recommended LECOM after seeing the quality of their students in residency.

Excited to begin,
Matt
LECOM MSI 2006

mjbaker said:
I had a fantastic experience interviewing at LECOM. It was a small relaxed atmosphere. There were students and administrators taking us around and able to answer questions at any point. I've been to other interviews where there were over 20 other students there interviewing; it makes you feel less like an individual and more like just a statistic. At LECOM there were 5 interviewees, including me. It was very laid back, the interview was short and sweet, and I left truly wanting to spend my next four years in Erie.

People are going to have different impressions of schools, and there are plenty of schools so people can find the one that fits them best. To everyone posting on this board: share your story but don't spread it like it's truth.

If you're going to choose a school based on your 1 day interview experience and not on what current students are telling you, then you deserve to wind up at a place like LECOM.

mjbaker said:
I even had students from other DO schools tell me that LECOM had an excellent program and to go to LECOM rather than their own school! - simply because they knew that the LECOM grads were well-prepared. Even the docs running the residency program highly recommended LECOM after seeing the quality of their students in residency.

Excited to begin,
Matt
LECOM MSI 2006

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: On this, I call total bullsh*t.

Porphyria said:
If you're going to choose a school based on your 1 day interview experience and not on what current students are telling you, then you deserve to wind up at a place like LECOM.

Do you mean that you would rather make a choice based on totally anonymous, pissed-off, and obviously biased posters, rather than relying on first-hand experience gained from seeing things for yourself?

scpod said:
Do you mean that you would rather make a choice based on totally anonymous, pissed-off, and obviously biased posters, rather than relying on first-hand experience gained from seeing things for yourself?

Yes when those posters are pissed off and "biased" due to their experience at the school in question. SDN has been replete with "LECOM bashers" for years, there's a reason for that people. We have no choice but to be anonymous, except perhaps in face-to-face encounters where we can do our best to ensure confidentiality.

By the way, you don't see ANYTHING on your interview day other than the building and the world through rose-colored glasses of the admissions staff. I'm sure I don't need to make the point that the cosmetics of a building are miniscule in importance when compared to the satisfaction and education of those that are "educated" within it.

Look at it this way: If you're shopping for a car, and you hear from numerous people that have owned a certain model, for quite some time, that it's a total lecom - oops, I mean lemon - would you buy it, even if on your test drive you thought "hey it's not that bad?" Unless you had no other choices, I'm guessing no. I'd hope so anyway. Then again, if you can't afford anything other than an '86 Yugo, happy motoring and I'll see you at the junkyard!! :thumbup:

scpod said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As I see it, these are the basic ways most premeds learn about a med. school:

1) Visiting/interviewing at the school and talking to current students in person (not necessarily just the tour guides)
2) Talking to graduates of the program
3) Reading what others have to say about the school on SDN

I give the first two ways the most emphasis on my personal decision.

Dr Trek 1 said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As I see it, these are the basic ways most premeds learn about a med. school:

1) Visiting/interviewing at the school and talking to current students in person (not necessarily just the tour guides)
2) Talking to graduates of the program
3) Reading what others have to say about the school on SDN

I give the first two ways the most emphasis on my personal decision.

Let me ask you something. Do you get more honesty from anonymous sources, or from identified ones? Every journalist worth his/her salt knows it's the former.

Porphyria said:
Yes when those posters are pissed off and "biased" due to their experience at the school in question. SDN has been replete with "LECOM bashers" for years, there's a reason for that people. We have no choice but to be anonymous, except perhaps in face-to-face encounters where we can do our best to ensure confidentiality.

By the way, you don't see ANYTHING on your interview day other than the building and the world through rose-colored glasses of the admissions staff. I'm sure I don't need to make the point that the cosmetics of a building are miniscule in importance when compared to the satisfaction and education of those that are "educated" within it.

Look at it this way: If you're shopping for a car, and you hear from numerous people that have owned a certain model, for quite some time, that it's a total lecom - oops, I mean lemon - would you buy it, even if on your test drive you thought "hey it's not that bad?" Unless you had no other choices, I'm guessing no. I'd hope so anyway. Then again, if you can't afford anything other than an '86 Yugo, happy motoring and I'll see you at the junkyard!! :thumbup:

Nope, I would look into the reports about it. You know, the UNBIASED ones? Besides, do you go on listening to people that say, go buy that piece-of-****, it's the best!!! Then, you get in, and the doors fall off. But, ****, at least I was a sheep (BAHHH) and bought the car that everyone told me to!!! I think SCPOD has a great point and I think you LECOM bashers annoy me. The only way to get a feel for a school is to go there and find out for yourself. How do we know you are not just pissed because you are a subpar student who is, in the words of jbone, "getting owned?"

Porphyria said:
Let me ask you something. Do you get more honesty from anonymous sources, or from identified ones? Every journalist worth his/her salt knows it's the former.

Sure, and deepthroat was a person who actually gave real information that lead to more real information. You just give opinions that lead to more opinions and more opinions and, my head hurts...

Jamers said:
Sure, and deepthroat was a person who actually gave real information that lead to more real information. You just give opinions that lead to more opinions and more opinions and, my head hurts...

What information would you like to know? I'm certain I've given many specific things wrong with the school in previous posts. Maybe you should reread them.

Jamers said:
Nope, I would look into the reports about it. You know, the UNBIASED ones? Besides, do you go on listening to people that say, go buy that piece-of-****, it's the best!!! Then, you get in, and the doors fall off. But, ****, at least I was a sheep (BAHHH) and bought the car that everyone told me to!!! I think SCPOD has a great point and I think you LECOM bashers annoy me. The only way to get a feel for a school is to go there and find out for yourself. How do we know you are not just pissed because you are a subpar student who is, in the words of jbone, "getting owned?"

How does having an opinion based on experience equal bias?? That's not bias, bias is an opinion that is effected by partial judgement.

The students who are most upset with the school are exactly those who are the best students, who got in elsewhere and made the mistake of going to LECOM, and who have and/or will earn the board scores necessary to attain residencies that leave LECOM as a distant unpleasant memory of poor education. They are the students that have tried transferring based on their good credentials, but have been laughed at by other Deans because they are well aware of the situation. Those that are poor students are just happy to be in medschool!

Believe what ever you want dude, why do I care what anyone else does? We are trying to warn you, and if you want to toss aside our suggestions and experiences, then find things out for yourself. I'm not sure what you think we could be gaining by making these posts. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

Porphyria said:

Speaking as a journalist, I can tell you that every journalist also knows NEVER, EVER to go solely on the word of an anonymous source. In fact, there's no easier way to get burned. You get a tip, you research it. You don't take it as gospel and you sure don't make a decision based on it. You simply take it into account, then search for more reliable information, hard evidence, and/or and someone willing to go on the record without the cloak of anonymity.

Gabby said:
Speaking as a journalist, I can tell you that every journalist also knows NEVER, EVER to go solely on the word of an anonymous source. In fact, there's no easier way to get burned. You get a tip, you research it. You don't take it as gospel and you sure don't make a decision based on it. You simply take it into account, then search for more reliable information, hard evidence, and/or and someone willing to go on the record without the cloak of anonymity.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gabby said:

You're absolutely right, but it's incumbent upon you to follow up on those "tips", and not just toss them aside because they don't fit within your pre-conceived notions and desired feelings based upon already set-upon decisions. When there is an abundance of "anonymous tips" from various sources pointing in the same direction over the course of several years, you owe it to yourself to take them seriously. You WILL find people willing to tell you the truth about LECOM to your face - I know them personally. In fact, I would if I had the opportunity.

Porphyria, do you/did you go to LECOM? I was just trying to figure out what your connection was to the school. What school do you go to now?

Porphyria said:
The students who are most upset with the school are exactly those who are the best students, who got in elsewhere and made the mistake of going to LECOM, and who have and/or will earn the board scores necessary to attain residencies that leave LECOM as a distant unpleasant memory of poor education.

What's this??? LECOM actually graduated DOCTORS????? A LECOM grad is a DOCTOR??? They actually get to leave LECOM and do RESIDENCIES???

From the way you have been describing it, Porphyria, I thought LECOM was Hotel California :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey ... all the DO students, have you ever heard the MD students said not to go to this school or that school or saying something bad about the school ... give yourself a BREAK ... :)

Porphyria said:
When there is an abundance of "anonymous tips" from various sources pointing in the same direction over the course of several years, you owe it to yourself to take them seriously.

A lot of people have been telling me that we didn't really go to the moon. A lot of people have been telling me that the CIA shot John Kennedy. A lot of people have been telling me that...

Typically, the same crackpots that brought up all these ideas are the ones that are screaming the loudest...BUT, they are in the MINORITY. I'm sorry that your life has been so irreversibly harmed, but I've talked to many live, breathing, non-anonymous LECOM students who believe much differently than you. I'm sorry, but I just DON'T take you seriously. I do, however, take seriously the others that I have actually spoken to in the flesh. Guess what? Some of them have said there are things that they don't like about LECOM, but they do so in an objective, well-constructed manner. It's them that I take seriously.

I do, though, apreciate your opinions, but I merely rely on them as a form of entertainment.

scpod said:
A lot of people have been telling me that we didn't really go to the moon. A lot of people have been telling me that the CIA shot John Kennedy. A lot of people have been telling me that...

Typically, the same crackpots that brought up all these ideas are the ones that are screaming the loudest...BUT, they are in the MINORITY. I'm sorry that your life has been so irreversibly harmed, but I've talked to many live, breathing, non-anonymous LECOM students who believe much differently than you. I'm sorry, but I just DON'T take you seriously. I do, however, take seriously the others that I have actually spoken to in the flesh. Guess what? Some of them have said there are things that they don't like about LECOM, but they do so in an objective, well-constructed manner. It's them that I take seriously.

I do, though, apreciate your opinions, but I merely rely on them as a form of entertainment.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to this post

I, too, know too many LECOM current students (who were accepted to other DO and MD schools and had their choice) and LECOM grads who enjoy or have enjoyed their LECOM years. I'm sorry, but they are more convincing than some anonymous "tipsters" on SDN.

Dr Trek 1 said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to this post

I, too, know too many LECOM current students (who were accepted to other DO and MD schools and had their choice) and LECOM grads who enjoy or have enjoyed their LECOM years. I'm sorry, but they are more convincing than some anonymous "tipsters" on SDN.

See, that's just it. People are too scared of the LECOM administration to tell you the truth to your face. By telling you about our experience anonymously, we don't have to worry as much about getting scolded by the Dean. It is also in LECOM students' best interest to make sure that people keep coming to the school. Do you want to have three years left at a school that nobody likes...NO! LECOMers good people to come to LECOM because they want the school to have a good reputation. We tell you the truth because we can do so in this anonymous forum and not have repercussions. Do you see my point? Tell me one reason that LECOM students would go through so much effort to steer you away from the school...what is the agenda. We are not premeds trying to hack for spots. We're actual students getting ready to finish and we have seen what LECOM is all about.

therealdeal said:
See, that's just it. People are too scared of the LECOM administration to tell you the truth to your face. By telling you about our experience anonymously, we don't have to worry as much about getting scolded by the Dean. It is also in LECOM students' best interest to make sure that people keep coming to the school. Do you want to have three years left at a school that nobody likes...NO! LECOMers good people to come to LECOM because they want the school to have a good reputation. We tell you the truth because we can do so in this anonymous forum and not have repercussions. Do you see my point? Tell me one reason that LECOM students would go through so much effort to steer you away from the school...what is the agenda. We are not premeds trying to hack for spots. We're actual students getting ready to finish and we have seen what LECOM is all about.

Yet another one speaking the truth that is simply ignored by premeds not wanting to believe that their future school is lousy. Listen, if it's the only place you got in, deal with it - you'll still be a doctor. All I'm saying is if you have a choice, I'd go somewhere else and not look back.

To answer another poster, I am a current LECOM student. As therealdeal says, we must be anonymous to protect ourselves. LECOM has retaliated against students for SDN posts in the past. If this sounds paranoid and strange to you, then you have a lot to learn about LECOM.

I tell people that are not applying that LECOM is great! Why would I want to devalue my degree or have laymen think I go to a crappy school?? After graduating, I will also tell everyone LECOM is great, including my fellow residents - "yeah my school sucks, aren't you glad I'm in your program?" Give me a break. People are not honest.

As for students that talk to you when you interview, I certainly am not a "LECOM ambassador", the ones that talk to interviewees. Get a clue, such a position is self-selective for LECOM brown-nosers.

What exactly do you all think our agenda, as therealdeal put it, is?

scpod said:
Some of them have said there are things that they don't like about LECOM, but they do so in an objective, well-constructed manner. It's them that I take seriously.

How have I not been objective or well-constructed in my arguments? I would argue that I've been the most articulate poster on this thread, and as for objectivity, I gave clear specific examples of what is wrong with the school. I never said "wearing ties everyday sux" or "y cant we drink in the building?"

raspberry swirl said:
im a third year at lecom erie and i really wish i knew who the OP was ... either way, i've been very happy at lecom. thats not to say everything's been perfect, but no different than anything i'd expect at any other school. the only problem i've ever had is some difficulty dealing with clinical ed when it comes to setting up rotations ... but i think i've heard that complaint from every single med student i've ever met from every school ... dont let this one poster deter you from LECOM if you are considering it. there are plenty of lecomers on this site that are very happy with the school and would be glad to answer any questions anyone has :)

Uhh no, actually only DO schools force med students to set up their own damn rotations. Absolutely ridiculous.

Thats a sign of a weak program, whether it be MD or DO. A med school that forces you to set up your own clinical experiences obviously doesnt have the proper healthcare infrastructure needed to operate a good program. Chiropractic schools work the same way, you have to "recruit" your own patients

Porphyria said:
How does having an opinion based on experience equal bias?? That's not bias, bias is an opinion that is effected by partial judgement.

The students who are most upset with the school are exactly those who are the best students, who got in elsewhere and made the mistake of going to LECOM, and who have and/or will earn the board scores necessary to attain residencies that leave LECOM as a distant unpleasant memory of poor education. They are the students that have tried transferring based on their good credentials, but have been laughed at by other Deans because they are well aware of the situation. Those that are poor students are just happy to be in medschool!

Believe what ever you want dude, why do I care what anyone else does? We are trying to warn you, and if you want to toss aside our suggestions and experiences, then find things out for yourself. I'm not sure what you think we could be gaining by making these posts. Good luck in all your future endeavours.
"
The students who are most upset with the school are exactly those who are the best students, who got in elsewhere and made the mistake of going to LECOM, and who have and/or will earn the board scores necessary to attain residencies that leave LECOM..."

So, you have polled everyone then?

Porphyria said:
You're absolutely right, but it's incumbent upon you to follow up on those "tips", and not just toss them aside because they don't fit within your pre-conceived notions and desired feelings based upon already set-upon decisions. When there is an abundance of "anonymous tips" from various sources pointing in the same direction over the course of several years, you owe it to yourself to take them seriously. You WILL find people willing to tell you the truth about LECOM to your face - I know them personally. In fact, I would if I had the opportunity.

And you follow those tips by not going to the school ever and taking your word for law? No offense, I love a logical argument more than most, but, you are sticking your foot in your mouth over and over again. I am not even going to LECOM but, I hate these poorly put together threads. When you get "tips" you store them away, and evaulate it with first hand evidence of your own. Random example, but, hell, I love SCI-FI. People say ghosts exists, so, do you just believe them? No, you get together a team of plumbers and call them TAPPS and send them to houses to check on it. So, we hear you bitch and moan about this school, we take your information, store it away, go to the school and check on it for ourselves. That, my friend, is REAL reporting.

therealdeal said:

Im sorry, I see far too much wrong with what you said. A) Why put it on SDN of all places where you know people are going to bash you and not believe you? Why not just submit to a newspaper (albeit forget your name of course :)). That would have a much greater impact. Get the real reporters to investigate. B)If you really want to hurt the school, bitching wont get it done. What kills any organization is lack of money. You stop students from coming in, you kill the organization, thus, accomplishing the goal. C)I know LECOM students, hell I am friends with a few MSII's, so there-in lies my bias. However, I also see far more differing opinions that deny much of what you said. And, even more importantly, D)I've been there, seen the school myself and did not get locked up or beaten down by a LIB (LECOMer In Black, for any who might have missed the conversation with my secret on-line lover steel_city :love: :barf: ). I think you LECOM bashers need to stop posting these threads for you have accomplished nothing. If all of you were saying the same thing, it would have a MUCH greater impact. But, GO BACK and read what others have said from your same school! They are denying you at every step! Who am I to believe? I don't know you or them! It is just a circle, a long, needing to die circle. Maybe if we count we can get it to die? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.