Do/mph??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medneuro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going for a MPH in addition to DO. Do you think this would help me get a better residency? What advantages/disadvantages do you see with getting this dual degree?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi medneuro.

You can do a search and see previous threads re: the subject MPH/DO/MD. I have an MPH degree that I received prior to starting med school. The reason I chose to pursue it was because I am very interested in international research and preventive medicine.

I don't know if it will be useful for residency, but I do plan on using my degree once I finish all my training. I have had the opportunity to conduct research in all areas of Maternal Child Health and International studies as well.

My suggestion is to do the MPH either before you start med school or after you finish your training. There are a lot of programs available just for health professionals (licensed physicians) that take 1 yr vs. the 2 yrs that most programs take. Don't do it during med school, you will have a hard enough time keeping up w/ your med studies. I suggest those courses vs. ones that are offered combined w/ your MD/DO degree because there is so much to cover and you won't really get a complete picture of public health (in my opinion).

I think alot more physicians are going back to school and getting their MPH b/c no one really talks about public health/health management/preventive medicine/behavior change/research in med school.

Check out the American Public Health Association web site for more info at http://www.apha.org/public_health/

Good luck!:clap:

Originally posted by docmartin
Hi medneuro.

You can do a search and see previous threads re: the subject MPH/DO/MD. I have an MPH degree that I received prior to starting med school. The reason I chose to pursue it was because I am very interested in international research and preventive medicine.

I don't know if it will be useful for residency, but I do plan on using my degree once I finish all my training. I have had the opportunity to conduct research in all areas of Maternal Child Health and International studies as well.

My suggestion is to do the MPH either before you start med school or after you finish your training. There are a lot of programs available just for health professionals (licensed physicians) that take 1 yr vs. the 2 yrs that most programs take. Don't do it during med school, you will have a hard enough time keeping up w/ your med studies. I suggest those courses vs. ones that are offered combined w/ your MD/DO degree because there is so much to cover and you won't really get a complete picture of public health (in my opinion).

I think alot more physicians are going back to school and getting their MPH b/c no one really talks about public health/health management/preventive medicine/behavior change/research in med school.

Check out the American Public Health Association web site for more info at http://www.apha.org/public_health/

Good luck!:clap:

Good advice.

I also did my MPH before med school. I don't know if it will have any effect on my residency. I did my degree in health administration and policy, which has given me a good background in the "business end" of medicine while also giving me a background in public health. If nothing else, the degree is personally beneficial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think having an MPH really helped me in getting my residency. I would never have thought it would help when I decide to start on the dual degree DO/MPH program. You just never know.

Originally posted by medneuro
I am considering going for a MPH in addition to DO. Do you think this would help me get a better residency? What advantages/disadvantages do you see with getting this dual degree?
Thanks!
Whether or not it will depends on what they look for in an applicant. It doesn't hurt nor to have additional degrees as you may market yourself as someone that can offer a little bit more than someone who didn't.

I was told by many docs while I'm doing my MPH that "it will look good for residencies." You can take that as you may but in the end its really how well you work with the people your doing your rotations at (which I hope will be somewhere you want to do your residency in). Work ethics rank highest in a recent study I read in the JAOA when it comes to picking new residents.

Hope that helps, :cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: What organism is responsible for Chaga's Disease?
ANSWER: Trypanosoma cruzi

Well, if you want to pursue a preventive medicine residency (they do exist!), then an MPH will undoubtedly help you, especially if you've published or had an active research program in public health.