Do most people pass Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabeya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the test in Houston. I'm just wondering for those who passed the exam, did you walk out of the test center kind of unsure on exactly how you did? Most of the cases were stuff I've seen plenty of times in the wards, but sometimes the SP's just didn't seem to convinced when I was talking or explaining things to them. I thought obtaining the history from all 12 cases was pretty good on my part since I'm a native english speaker, but sometimes I wasn't exactly sure if I was doing the right physical exam techniques and getting the correct differential diagnoses.
Anybody else felt unsure how they did and pass the exam? I never ran out of time on any of the cases, though there were a few times afterwards where I suddenly remembered I didnt do a particular physical exam or ask a certain question. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of people pass Step 2 CS. I don't know anyone who has failed; the only people I have heard of failing were on some of the forums on this site. It's a test and, more than that, an NBME-authored test, so it's natural for one too feel they may not have performed their best and it's certianly not rare for people to think they may have failed. I also felt fairly good about my CS exam (similar to yourself), but I new there were some items I missed. I was unsure as well, but I got the good news about 7-8 weeks later. You'll likely pass as well, so just focus on the rest of your work!

Dont worry about it. Almost everyone passes and the sense is that you have to do something really stupid or bad to fail. I had the exact same worry you did - knew I blew a particular case b/c I didnt do the only portion of the physical exam that was relevant. Ended up passing.

I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I took the test in Houston. I'm just wondering for those who passed the exam, did you walk out of the test center kind of unsure on exactly how you did? Most of the cases were stuff I've seen plenty of times in the wards, but sometimes the SP's just didn't seem to convinced when I was talking or explaining things to them. I thought obtaining the history from all 12 cases was pretty good on my part since I'm a native english speaker, but sometimes I wasn't exactly sure if I was doing the right physical exam techniques and getting the correct differential diagnoses.
Anybody else felt unsure how they did and pass the exam? I never ran out of time on any of the cases, though there were a few times afterwards where I suddenly remembered I didnt do a particular physical exam or ask a certain question. Thanks for any advice.

I also took my test in Houston and I felt the same way that you did when I left the center. I also ran out of time on a couple of occasions and the one SP seemed determined to not volunteer any information unless he was asked VERY specific questions----which really wasted a lot of time. The other people who took the test with me seemed to think that it was a piece of cake, which really made me feel worse afterwards. I just got my scores back and thankfully, I passed! I am so relieved! Good luck to you! Hopefully, you have done better than you think you did!

I had the same experience and just found out I passed.