Do medical schools look at subsection scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treeclimbingmonkey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
mentioned above

Members don't see this ad.

Probably depends on who are looking at your app. If some doctors think, critical thinking is the most important part of patient interaction, he’ll negatively view a bad CARS score.

Personally, I’ve interacted with lots of doctors during interviews, and not a single one mentioned the individual scores. But then all my section scores were 128 or above...

Reactions: 1 user
Probably depends on who are looking at your app. If some doctors think, critical thinking is the most important part of patient interaction, he’ll negatively view a bad CARS score.

Personally, I’ve interacted with lots of doctors during interviews, and not a single one mentioned the individual scores. But then all my section scores were 128 or above...
Thank you!

They absolutely do look at subsection scores. Some medical schools will screen students out if they get a 125 or lower in any subsection, and some care a lot about CARS. I know one school I applied to specifically told me that I couldn't be offered an interview due to my CARS score, even though my overall score was way above their average.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user