Do Medical School’s look at every single grade and see the very upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschooldream9098

Reaction score
I’m really sorry, there might be a question like this but I couldn’t find one that specifically answered what I was wondering. I have a super spotty record which I’ve mentioned before. I have F’s, D’s, and C’s on my record from when I was in Community College. Was going through a lot, I should have stopped going to school for a bit. Was extremely dumb of me, I regret it so much.
I’ve since been getting straight A’s. If I have the upward trend at the community college to straight A’s and straight A’s at the University, do you think that gives me a better chance? The only science classes (still important) that I got F’s in were Anatomy, Physiology and Gen Chem 1.
Like the idiot I was, I retook anatomy when I was NOT ready and got a C and took it again NOT READY and got a B. I’m extremely worried about that one overall because that was 3 times and not even an A (all in cc). I retook the other classes and got A’s those and all my further classes are A’s.

My overall GPA when I graduate will be high because of grade replacement but I know MD schools don’t do that. I think it will be around a 3.3 gpa maybe 3.5 sgpa.
Are my chance low because of my GPA and past grades? Or do I have a decent chance because I’ve been getting straight A’s since. And if I study extremely rigorously for the MCAT sand get a high score.
Some background: Also I am doing about 15h per week of volunteering (will have 600+ hours by then), I work as a CNA (clinical experience- will have 1000+ hours), I am shadowing a doctor (will get about 50-60h if shadowing), I have not began research yet but I’m looking into it for after the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

If I have the upward trend at the community college to straight A’s and straight A’s at the University, do you think that gives me a better chance? My overall GPA when I graduate will be high because of grade replacement but I know MD schools don’t do that. I think it will be around a 3.3 gpa maybe 3.5 sgpa... Are my chance low because of my GPA and past grades? Or do I have a decent chance because I’ve been getting straight A’s since. And if I study extremely rigorously for the MCAT sand get a high score.
Upward trends are looked upon favorably -- with the most emphasis placed on the most recent years. How your school calculates your GPA is irrelevant -- what matters is how it is calculated on AMCAS (and as I learned recently, AACOMAS doesn't do grade replacement either).

A strong upward trend with straight A's in the most recent few years combined with a strong MCAT should not hold you back.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m really sorry, there might be a question like this but I couldn’t find one that specifically answered what I was wondering. I have a super spotty record which I’ve mentioned before. I have F’s, D’s, and C’s on my record from when I was in Community College. Was going through a lot, I should have stopped going to school for a bit. Was extremely dumb of me, I regret it so much.
I’ve since been getting straight A’s. If I have the upward trend at the community college to straight A’s and straight A’s at the University, do you think that gives me a better chance? The only science classes (still important) that I got F’s in were Anatomy, Physiology and Gen Chem 1.
Like the idiot I was, I retook anatomy when I was NOT ready and got a C and took it again NOT READY and got a B. I’m extremely worried about that one overall because that was 3 times and not even an A (all in cc). I retook the other classes and got A’s those and all my further classes are A’s.

My overall GPA when I graduate will be high because of grade replacement but I know MD schools don’t do that. I think it will be around a 3.3 gpa maybe 3.5 sgpa.
Are my chance low because of my GPA and past grades? Or do I have a decent chance because I’ve been getting straight A’s since. And if I study extremely rigorously for the MCAT sand get a high score.
Some background: Also I am doing about 15h per week of volunteering (will have 600+ hours by then), I work as a CNA (clinical experience- will have 1000+ hours), I am shadowing a doctor (will get about 50-60h if shadowing), I have not began research yet but I’m looking into it for after the summer.
I look at transcripts specifically to see if there are rising GPA trends. Rising trends are always good.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I look at transcripts specifically to see if there are rising GPA trends. Rising trends are always good.
Thank you so much for your response! Will a rising trend from many F’s, D’s C’s hold me back severely? Or is it okay because of the upward trend (which is mostly in my higher level classes - did not get low grades in the higher science classes except the ones I stated)
I’m so sorry to bother, thank you for your time.

Thank you so much for your response! Will a rising trend from many F’s, D’s C’s hold me back severely? Or is it okay because of the upward trend (which is mostly in my higher level classes - did not get low grades in the higher science classes except the ones I stated)
I’m so sorry to bother, thank you for your time.
A rising trend doesn't hold you back. Now granted, there are schools that have tons of people who never needed rising trends, but a strategic app list will help you as much as the rising trend. That and good ECs and MCAT score.

You have shown the the you of now is not the you of then, and that's what Adcoms want to see!

• Love
A rising trend doesn't hold you back. Now granted, there are schools that have tons of people who never needed rising trends, but a strategic app list will help you as much as the rising trend. That and good ECs and MCAT score.

You have shown the the you of now is not the you of then, and that's what Adcoms want to see!
Yeah the MCAT is my biggest concern now to score high on. I think it will be fine, I just need to study, study, study. I feel a bit more optimistic now, thank you so much!