DO Med Students Pediatrics Match 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphylococcus Aureus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who matched! To all the DO applicants do you mind sharing your more information about your experience and things like stats, ECs, research, # programs applied? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched - MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland Ohio.

Non-traditional student
Top third of my class , strong Comlex level 1 and 2
14 weeks of internships with intellectually and physically disabled individuals while in school
No research
Applied to 23 programs 6 interviews

Reactions: 1 users
Matched- mid-tier program in northeast (only DO this year)

Non-trad student
Between 25th and 5oth percentile in my class, <500 on COMLEX 1 and 2
Took USMLE step 2 (long story) and got 240s
ECs- did >250 hours over first 3 years of med school at free clinic, neuroscience outreach, teaching kids with disabilities how to ski
research- spent summer at hopkins in undergrad (1st author paper) and 2 years at boston childrens before med school (second author paper), none in med school
Applied to 38 programs in northeast-ish (basically all of the ones with current DOs from ohio down to virginia up to maine, not including NYC), got 15 interviews (sent emails to almost all programs I didn't have interviews at around mid-October and got 4 more interviews from that, so highly recommend!)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what kind of stats/CV one needs to be competitive at some of the "bigger name" academic centers (yale, umich, brown, duke, emory, etc) for peds?

Anyone know what kind of stats/CV one needs to be competitive at some of the "bigger name" academic centers (yale, umich, brown, duke, emory, etc) for peds?

I would take a look at their current residency make-up for programs you are interested in. Many of those programs that you listed have very few to little DOs. If that is the type of programs you are looking at you should likely take USMLE and make sure to rotate 4th yr at those institutions for face-time. Obviously, the typical CV boosters can only help (leadership, Advocacy, Research).

Reactions: 1 user