DO matching MD derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was just wondering how biased in general MD derm positions are? I know this is a pretty loaded question. I scored a 700+ on comlex and mid 250+ on the usmle. Assuming I can get plenty of research done, is it unlikely for me to secure a position because Im a DO?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

besides the two (i believe) DO spots at case western, probably less than 5 DOs match a year. And those people probably had connections or did research at that institution or something.

If you have an amazing personality, away rotations can help (just be strategic). If people really like you and know you'll be a good fit for the program, that can go a long way.

There are programs (in less desirable areas) that have taken DOs: Cincinnati, Mayo Rochester, and SLU (Cincinnati is actually a fantastic program, SLU has Ian Maher, and Mayo has all the positives and negatives of being at a Mayo program).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As of year, all DO Derm positions are becoming MD Derm positions. Your question should be whether you can get in to dermatology as a DO

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I was just wondering how biased in general MD derm positions are? I know this is a pretty loaded question. I scored a 700+ on comlex and mid 250+ on the usmle. Assuming I can get plenty of research done, is it unlikely for me to secure a position because Im a DO?
Thank you
Historically I believe less than 5 DO students match ACGME derm each year (so few that charting outcomes doesn't even report the data). I would expect that number to stay low and then maybe add a few more for a fraction of the DO spots that have been converted to ACGME that will still take some DOs.

So yes, it's possible, but you'll need to be a well rounded superstar, and even then your odds aren't great.

We had a DO at our school match at a respectable east coast MD Derm program (ranked in their top 5) with a low 240's score, and 3 derm pubs. No other connections just a cool person.

Just gotta have the stones (and application) to go for it IMO.