DO match results 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially? I dobt think its ever officially compiled in a way that would be useful. At least not centrally. Various (some, not all) schools will officially release results over a 10 to 14 day period. Then 2 weeks radii silence until the nrmp.

Really the big thing to keep your eyes open for is students self reporting locations as they usually get lists up from each place in the first two or three days of self reported results.
Well dang. I guess I'll have to reactivate my FB then :) I'm only friends on there with some of the 4th years, so it won't even be that helpful really.

Last year, though, our school printed out a big board with the match results by specialty and hospital and then did another one with a map to show where they were. They're still out on display lol. It's kind of neat to look at though, especially for prospectives and visitors touring the building.

Members don't see this ad.

i wonder how many fourth years are freaking the eff out right now. and I can't even imagine how I am going to feel at this time 4 years from now.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, do we receive an email tomorrow or have to go on the website? What time does such an email arrive (at 12 EST like the website)? :scared:

The NMS will "attempt" to send you an email! but you shouldn't expect it to arrive on time! (this is as per their website) :laugh:

The results will be available on the NMS website tomorrow at 12 pm EST! You just login to view the results.

Good Luck to all of my colleagues :luck: I'm sure all of you will do great! :xf:

Go C/O 2012!

i wonder how many fourth years are freaking the eff out right now. and I can't even imagine how I am going to feel at this time 4 years from now.

I tried taking a nap to take away some stress. didn't work. im freaking out already.

Man, I bet the match wait is 100x worse than the month waiting for MCAT scores to come in, haha.

Good luck to you all! And thanks for always dropping by the preDO forum to help us pre-med noobs out. :p

My dog got a hold of my cousins medical marijuana and freaked us out, he's in the animal hospital since 11 pm on fluids and getting charcoaled. I've been stressing out cause had no idea what happened to my dog until the urine tox came back positive. He's staying overnight. The doctor who graduate at my school said any call over night is not a good call. I come home and confront him and tell him he owes us $1000 for the hospital bill i paid out of pocket so far. I told him i don't care if its prescribed to you no more marijuana in my house. He gets confrontational and starts to fight, cops get called. It's 12am by now. I start my first day of sub internship tomorrow and im tired and stressed over match tomorrow. Worse day ever, and right before the match. Just need to vent. I just want some good news tomorrow.

So, do we receive an email tomorrow or have to go on the website? What time does such an email arrive (at 12 EST like the website)? :scared:

Last year it arrived in their emails at 8:38 am eastern specific time (family guy humor).

My dog got a hold of my cousins medical marijuana and freaked us out, he's in the animal hospital since 11 pm on fluids and getting charcoaled. I've been stressing out cause had no idea what happened to my dog until the urine tox came back positive. He's staying overnight. The doctor who graduate at my school said any call over night is not a good call. I come home and confront him and tell him he owes us $1000 for the hospital bill i paid out of pocket so far. I told him i don't care if its prescribed to you no more marijuana in my house. He gets confrontational and starts to fight, cops get called. It's 12am by now. I start my first day of sub internship tomorrow and im tired and stressed over match tomorrow. Worse day ever, and right before the match. Just need to vent. I just want some good news tomorrow.
I'm so, so sorry for your crappy night! It can only get better tomorrow!

And I'm so, so sorry, but this is all I could think about when reading your story:

9967182.jpg

To any fourth years reading this thread, I just wanted to say good luck!! I hope you match exactly where you want to!

And ellinpedo, I'm really sorry for what happened. I wish you the best on matching and on your sub-internship. Like ManBroDude said, things can only go up from here!

To any fourth years reading this thread, I just wanted to say good luck!! I hope you match exactly where you want to!

And ellinpedo, I'm really sorry for what happened. I wish you the best on matching and on your sub-internship. Like ManBroDude said, things can only go up from here!

Would you say things could only get more high from here

Would you say things could only get more high from here

haha. so far no call from the hospital, he should be getting out soon.

on a brighter note, got my MATCH result at 8:39 AM EASTERN TIME!

FIRST CHOICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently they're early this year, i got my email at 8:36 haha

It's up folks..

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/matres.htm

Wow..only 25% of TCOM participated in the DO match!!
MSU did extraordinarily well
I wish there were more details..a lot is left to the imagination with these lists!

MSU on top of the AOA match as always.

Another strong showing by LMU and whats up with PNWU, RVU these new schools are rocking this year.

Last edited:
Am I seeing these right?

TCOM only has one residency program and two fellowships? and MSUCOM has 47 different kinds of programs? If so, it's no wonder so few and so many applied for the DO match.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Sites/GraduateMedicalEducation/index.cfm?pageName=GME%20Programs
http://scs.msu.edu/programs/
This is what you are looking for:
http://texasopti.hsc.unt.edu/programs.cfm

But you are right, there are far less.
There are other schools that have even less residency positions than TCOM who have far more students apply to the AOA match than they do. I'm not entirely sure the # of post-graduate spots has anything to do with it. Almost all of their students take (and do well on) the USMLE, and apply outside the DO match. It's just the way they do things. My guess is that most of them want to stay in Texas..and there are so many great residencies all over the state at ACGME programs that they all gun as hard as they can for those programs. I don't blame them.

That's weird, a lot of the hyper competitive specialties went without filling up this year. 5 open rads spots?

I feel obligated to add all of this data into my spreadsheet. Sigh. :laugh:

Another strong showing by LMU and whats up with PNWU, RVU these new schools are rocking this year.

Haha, for all the doomsday talk, we are about to see that RVU students will match at about the same rates/same places as any other DO grads.

That's weird, a lot of the hyper competitive specialties went without filling up this year. 5 open rads spots?

Yea..ENT usually fills up as well

wow. that is weird. a lot of spaces unfilled.

Happens. There was at least one ENT spot scrambled into last year.

There's even an unfilled ortho spot.
Maybe more people are shooting for MD spots, even in the competitive specialties?

Doesn't the residency have to rank you too in order for there to be a match?

I'm thinking a bunch of students did a "Hail Mary" for any AOA ROADs residencies before focusing on the MD match. I know I would!

There's even an unfilled ortho spot.
Maybe more people are shooting for MD spots, even in the competitive specialties?

maybe, but not apply DO competitive seems a little careless in my eyes. I don't know. maybe not. the DO match is risky i suppose for someone who wants to go MD, especially when you have a MD residency you really want, but a sure thing for DO would be thousands of miles away. don't know. i am sure I will eventually find out.

Generally (so I can't promise its always the case) the unfilled competitive spots exist because the hospital only ranks or only interviews people who have already rotated with them. If everyone the hospital ranked went somewhere else, they have an opening. Happens almost exclusively, from what I've seen, to those places with that policy as their match list may be tiny. They then avcept scrambles from unmatched people who previously applied to them and did not interview due to not being a previous rotator.

Haha, for all the doomsday talk, we are about to see that RVU students will match at about the same rates/same places as any other DO grads.

With all due respect, I don't think you really understand what this data is really saying. In order to get a comprehensive look at how "well" each school did, we need 3 things: the AOA match results (which we got today), each school's published Match list, and the NRMP match results (next month). So far we have a third of the picture up and it comes off as a little foolish saying how this school did better than that school just by looking at the "matched %" column. For all we know, PNWU, RVU, and LMU-DCOM prepared their students so poorly for competitive residencies that the poor kids only matched into easy-to-get family practice residencies (which are their missions after all). And along the same vein, AZCOM had a terrible "matched %" column, but the real picture is that 99% of their students are gunning for really competitive residencies - and getting them. Look at their match lists the last few years and be prepared to be blown away. Hell, a whole 150 students (!!) (61% of the class) didn't even bother with the AOA match at all.

Until we see each school's match lists and how well DO students do next month with the NRMP match, none of us can say "oh look, this school had a strong showing this year". :)

With all due respect, I don't think you really understand what this data is really saying. In order to get a comprehensive look at how "well" each school did, we need 3 things: the AOA match results (which we got today), each school's published Match list, and the NRMP match results (next month). So far we have a third of the picture up and it comes off as a little foolish saying how this school did better than that school just by looking at the "matched %" column. For all we know, PNWU, RVU, and LMU-DCOM prepared their students so poorly for competitive residencies that the poor kids only matched into easy-to-get family practice residencies (which are their missions after all). And along the same vein, AZCOM had a terrible "matched %" column, but the real picture is that 99% of their students are gunning for really competitive residencies - and getting them. Look at their match lists the last few years and be prepared to be blown away. Hell, a whole 150 students (!!) (61% of the class) didn't even bother with the AOA match at all.

Until we see each school's match lists and how well DO students do next month with the NRMP match, none of us can say "oh look, this school had a strong showing this year". :)

basically agree. I feel like all this data shows is that a lot of MSU has a lot of students doing AOA residencies. This isn't really a surprise though because a large number of AOA residencies are in michigan and ohio (right next door). Like ManBroDude mentioned, we need to other things to see who matched where. I am still excited to see all of the this data, but we really need to see everything put together. Like the example above, for all we know every RVU student who did AOA went to ultra competitive residencies, and every MSU student went into family med or internal med.

Well....my FB reactivation and stalking has proven to be rather fruitless. As a lowly 2nd year, I am not too acquainted with a large number of our 4th years since we leave campus for rotations. However, what I did glean was a FP, 3 IM, 2 Ob/Gyn, 1 anesthesia and 1 neurosurg. I mean, not that you all care, but just in case, I figured I'd share :)

Generally (so I can't promise its always the case) the unfilled competitive spots exist because the hospital only ranks or only interviews people who have already rotated with them. If everyone the hospital ranked went somewhere else, they have an opening. Happens almost exclusively, from what I've seen, to those places with that policy as their match list may be tiny. They then avcept scrambles from unmatched people who previously applied to them and did not interview due to not being a previous rotator.

For ortho I know that not only you must rotate to interview, they'll only rank a few of those interviewed. I know this for a fact. A program I know very intimately ranked 5 students for 2 spots.

Well....my FB reactivation and stalking has proven to be rather fruitless. As a lowly 2nd year, I am not too acquainted with a large number of our 4th years since we leave campus for rotations. However, what I did glean was a FP, 3 IM, 2 Ob/Gyn, 1 anesthesia and 1 neurosurg. I mean, not that you all care, but just in case, I figured I'd share :)

a neurosurg from LMU is pretty awesome. Definitely helps against the naysayers.

a neurosurg from LMU is pretty awesome. Definitely helps against the naysayers.

Is anesthesia still considered pretty competitive too? I know we matched ortho in the military match, but I have no idea how that compares or stands in the grand scheme of this whole match process.

Hello Everyone, I just matched today i thought i could answer some of the questions i saw here in the thread.
I am from MSU-COM, just matched into Radiology Residency in michigan (obvi :p)
Our class this year actually specialized more than previous years.
atleast 4 ENT, 4 Rads, 2 Uro, 20 OB-GYN, neuro surg, ~10 anesthesia, and more surgery, psych and neuro.
probably say less than half of our class ended in FM & IM which less than usually.
atleast 40 + 21 are going to MD match.

let me know if anyone has questions about this whole process.
Its probably easier to reply from my email
[email protected]

Thanks al

CCOM has done well so far, preliminary numbers look good, here is what I have gathered

Military
1 ENT
1 GS

DO
3 Ortho
3 Uro
at least 3 GS
1 NS
1 Rads

MD
2 Ophtho (1 at Uni of Chicago)

Should have a pretty solid MD match too. And this is with atrocious COMLEX 1 scores I think avg was 497, which was a 23 pt drop from year before, only maybe 88% passing rate. So board scores are important but not everything. If you can do well on USMLE and rotate well and do well on part II it can help out a lot. Congrats on everyone that matched today

I totally agree manbro, the data is incomplete. this is only a piece of the match madness. But the fact is that pnwu, rvu, and lmu all had a strong showing in the AOA match, and that is impressive. whether or not more students at one school gunned for ROAD residencies over another COM is really irrelevant since the specialty-primary care ratio isn't as lopsided as people make it seem to be among DO schools.

That's the thing: no one has had a strong showing yet. If PNWU's first match list was 100% FP residencies and not a single student matched into something competitive, what would you say about the numbers we got today?

That's the thing: no one has had a strong showing yet. If PNWU's first match list was 100% FP residencies and not a single student matched into something competitive, what would you say about the numbers we got today?

ha ha absolutely not (not that there's anything wrong with FP). But, like I said before match lists are hardly that lopsided. Like you'll never see even a 90:10 primary care-specialty ratio. Looking over complete match lists from the past the most extreme was like 70:30 at wvsom or something, and the average is like 60:40. This is a stable past trend, who knows maybe pnwu's first class decided to go all out on primary care which is cool since they're filling a need.

"Maybe they all wanted family med" is what I would say to that. If they all wanted FM spots and they all got their first choice, you could argue that it was the best match list of any school.

It is impossible to judge a match list without knowing how many folks got what they wanted. They are fun to look at and compare to other schools, but they are not the definitive measure of a school's performance.
This is SUCH an important point in my opinion....a good match list is about how many students got their first pick, or at least somewhere close to it, I think. I keep thinking about how the match list of my class is going to look in 2014....SO many of my classmates are 100% sold on family med, peds, IM, OB/gyn and EM at this point (I know EM isn't considered primary care, but it's still very reasonable to match into as far as I understand). That's just how it goes.....so our match list won't necessarily be eye catching to those who look for only the ROAD, ENT, ortho, etc. but it will be success on my classmate's parts. While FM in rural areas may not be impressive to one person, if it's what you want more than anything else, then who cares if it's considered impressive by others? Class composition of students/interest is everything in this whole process.

I don't disagree with you, and I'm not saying that RVU's match list is going to blow anyone away, but I get the feeling it will be pretty typical. Maybe a little harder time matching into some MD specialties (they did have a relatively high percentage participating in the AOA match.) I remember way back when ATSU-SOMA was new people were saying that they would have a hard time matching because of their unique curriculum etc. Then last year their first match list came out and it was fine. You're right though, we don't have the full picture yet. It's always interesting to see how new schools fare. Also, you're right about AZCOM. They'll be one of my top hopefuls when I apply this upcoming cycle.

I'm confused as to why there are unfilled spots for competitive specialties, bear with me, I'm still learning about the process..but why are there 5 unfilled Diag Rad, 2 Optho, 4 Anesthes, and 7 Neuro?

I mean wouldn't someone applying to optho apply to every single program/seat so why would a program be unfilled? Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make sense.

See previous comments about conpetitive specialties only interviewing those who rotate with them. Then having everyone they ranked end up somewhere else. They'll scramble students who applied elsehere and didn't get in.

So when do students scramble for those spots? Won't programs that are unfilled get students they didn't want?

Because the program didn't rank the people who ranked the program...

Aren't there some pretty competitive FM/IM residencies because of location? I have heard popular cities are harder to get into, or is that BS?

The actual 2012 AOA match rates are (i.e. Percent of students matched in the AOA out of students who applied AOA): EXCLUDES Military Match

MSUCOM - 88.46%
UMDNJSOM - 82.35%
LECOM-BRAD - 81.71%
OUCOM - 81.03%
UNECOM - 80.95%
LECOM - 80.12%
RVUCOM - 78.38%
MWU-CCOM - 77.89%
LMU-DCOM - 77.53%
KCOM - 77.11%
PCOM - 76.97%
TUCOM-CA - 76.92%
NYCOM - 76.62%
UP-KYCOM - 76.32%
PNWUCOM - 76.19%
VCOM - 73.75%
MWU-AZCOM - 73.17%
WVSOM - 72.82%
DMUCOM - 71.25%
NSUCOM - 68.53%
OSUCOM - 64.91%
TUNCOM - 64.71%
WESTUCOMP - 63.53%
KCUMBCOM - 62.86%
TOUROCOM - 62.50%
GA-PCOM - 60.98%
ATSU-SOMA - 60.00%
UNTHSCTCOM - 55.88%

Calculation: {1- [Non-match / (Total # of students - Non-participants - Military)]} * 100%
Sample: MSUCOM = {1 - [21 / (228 - 40 - 6)]} * 100% = 88.46%

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/schltot.htm

Last edited: