DO Match Monday Feb. 13, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
who matched where in the DO Ortho world? Congrats to all those who did and best of luck to everyone waiting for the Allo match!

-J

Members don't see this ad.

DOctorJay said:
who matched where in the DO Ortho world? Congrats to all those who did and best of luck to everyone waiting for the Allo match!

-J
Matched ortho at Pinnaclehealth, Hgb, PA.
CONGRATS to all.

matched into grandview, OH. great program. suggest all you third years to look into it....good luck to all of you out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
AP, nice job I've heard lots of good things about Grandview. What school are you from?

-J

Congrats AP and Dr. MAXY :thumbup:

What do you think was the most important factor in landing an Ortho spot, was it board scores, rotating at the program or research? Thanks!

nycom914 said:
Congrats AP and Dr. MAXY :thumbup:

What do you think was the most important factor in landing an Ortho spot, was it board scores, rotating at the program or research? Thanks!
Rotating at the program and working hard.

Dr. MAXY said:
Rotating at the program and working hard.
Dr. Maxy, when did you decide that ortho was what you wanted? If it was before rotations, how much involvement did you have-or should have had-during that time? Thanks

CJDocS said:
Dr. Maxy, when did you decide that ortho was what you wanted? If it was before rotations, how much involvement did you have-or should have had-during that time? Thanks

Before Med school, I knew I had a great interest in the surgical field. Well, I love working with my hands and other real life experiences drew my towards a surgical specialty. Hence prior to matriculation, a composed a top 5 list which included (#1 neurosurg,#2 ortho, #3 cardioThosurg,#4 plastic, #5 general). However, after shadowing a neurosurgeon and getting my behind kicked by neuroanatomy in first year, I dropped Neurosurg. After dropping neurosurg, ortho became my next choice. I then shadowed an orthopod during the summer b/n 1st and 2nd year and I fell in love with ortho. Moreover, since ortho also involves spine, I realized that I can pursue my 2nd love as well as some components of my 1st love.
I will advise that you use some of your spare time during 1st and 2nd year to shadow some specialties. In that case you can narrow down your choices b4 starting your clinical years.
GOOD LUCK

Dr. MAXY said:
Before Med school, I knew I had a great interest in the surgical field. Well, I love working with my hands and other real life experiences drew my towards a surgical specialty. Hence prior to matriculation, a composed a top 5 list which included (#1 neurosurg,#2 ortho, #3 cardioThosurg,#4 plastic, #5 general). However, after shadowing a neurosurgeon and getting my behind kicked by neuroanatomy in first year, I dropped Neurosurg. After dropping neurosurg, ortho became my next choice. I then shadowed an orthopod during the summer b/n 1st and 2nd year and I fell in love with ortho. Moreover, since ortho also involves spine, I realized that I can pursue my 2nd love as well as some components of my 1st love.
I will advise that you use some of your spare time during 1st and 2nd year to shadow some specialties. In that case you can narrow down your choices b4 starting your clinical years.
GOOD LUCK
I appreciate the advice! Keep us all posted on your residency.

I agree with Dr. Maxy - at the DO places, rotating there means alot more than board scores. I looked at both places, and did the requisite work to get into a MD place (USMLE, publications/AAOS presentations, LORs, blah blah) but ultimately took the spot at Grandview, a place I will be happy at and will receive a great education at OVER the "good chance" at the Md program that, to tell you the truth, only had one thing going for it that made me hesitate a little - the two MD places I looked at were closer to jersey, my motherland. But it worked out for the best, I think. You will find more emphasis on scores/numbers/status/rank in the MD field than in the DO field...

feel free to PM with any questions...I have nothing to do for the next 3 months so I might as well pass on some info...and trust me, I am NOT complaining about that situation....

Docjay - I am from NYCOM.....not too well represented in any of the PA or OH programs, hopefully that will change.

Thanks for the info AP and Dr. Maxy. I was just wondering about the situation of linked residencies. I think I read that many of the DO ortho programs are now linked. Is that true? Or are a handful of them still non-linked? So, then, did you just rank the linked programs, or maybe rank non-linked programs low? Thanks.

More and more DO programs are converting to a linked system...the ones that don't traditionally have difficulty filling their internship spots (Peninsula in NY) and so try to attract more applicants that spots. There might be other reasons for keeping the non-link status in play but I am not sure of those. I only ranked the one grandview program, b/c it is the one I wanted. And the osteopathic Programs leave no doubt as to your status in their eyes, and thus the need to rank multiple programs becomes unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you all. Now the fun begins! And AP, tell Dr. Hobbs St. Louis sends our love.

Looking to match into Ortho spot in '07 and wanted to hear some opinions about what you guys like and dislike about any of the DO ortho residencies from people who already matched.
-which programs have strong didactics and teaching
-which programs are best in sports medicine or joint replacement

B2B - send me a PM with specific q's and I will answer them

Congrats to all who matched into orthopedics. Remember the best residency is the one you get into. I am currently an orthopedic fellow who has completed an osteopathic orthopedic residency. I have some knowledge about the osteopathic world of orthopedics and willing to share what I know. Good Luck to the future DO orthopods.

Congrats guys, I'm finally about to finish my intership and move on to residency (and finally throw my stethescope away). As far as linked programs go, most are linked and those that aren't fill their internship spots b/c many failed to get a linked spot and scrambled into those programs to compete. Now I did not rotated at Peninsula, but a classmate of mine who did not match interviewed there and supposedly some of those guys end up doing an additional year of gen surg after internship just to get a pgy2 ortho spot the following year. Definitely not an ideal situation to be in. Go out and have some fun, you deserve it.

Hey, congrats to all you guys. I have a quick question. It was answered briefly before, but I just want to clarify for my very be-prepared-very-far-in-advance mind.

I enjoy doing research and have been published a few times. I plan on doing another research project, and I have a strong interest in ortho since I love surgery, and ortho is the only specialty in which I feel relaxed and not stressed or anything--plus, I love the anatomy and all that.

My question then is this: should I focus my research project on something ortho related, or does it not matter? If doing stellar at a rotation at the program I want is the most important thing, should I bother to do ortho focused research?

Thanks.

Did any of you do the allo match as well, or how does that work? Do you have to decide if you are allo all the way or DO all the way for the match process as a DO. Or can you do both?

Depends on where you think your best bet is. If you really think you have a spot on the DO side, just rank DO. If you really think you have a great shot on the MD side (it better be pretty golden) rank MD and skip the DO. If you're wishy washy on both sides, go with both. Like they said earlier. The number one program is the one you get in to. The rest is up to you on how great you make it. By the way, I'm a DO who matched with the Navy. Only 11 spots in the nation (3 where I'm going) and I was lucky enough to get one. Congrats to everyone else!

What if for some reason you match luckily into both? So if the DO match is first and you get in, then you just did the allo match and got in there as well, how would that work. Or if you match DO first are you automatically booted from the allo match process? Because they aren't on the same day are they?

SOUNDMAN said:
What if for some reason you match luckily into both? So if the DO match is first and you get in, then you just did the allo match and got in there as well, how would that work. Or if you match DO first are you automatically booted from the allo match process? Because they aren't on the same day are they?

Soundman.......if you were to enter both the AOA and the ACGME match and matched AOA, you would automatically be withdrawn from the ACGME match.
Good luck!

That is correct. If you match DO then you are excluded from the MD match. However, if you skip the DO match and don't match MD, then you are SOL. Remember, the key is to match period. Anymore the lines between MD and DO are becoming blurred and even more so when looking at residency. Most of your patients won't ever know the difference. The real difference in being a good surgeon or not lies within you.

The reason I say that is that I see also of people getting caught up in the details and forgetting the big picture. I did it myself.