Do looks count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegternarian

lord of the waiting room
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been worrying about "looks" during interviews for vet school. I myself am overweight, and I worry that this fact may hurt me during the interviews. What do you all think? Do you have to be 'pretty' or 'handsome' to be a vet, does being overweight or unattractive reduce your chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Who knows what the committee will seek in us but more than likely they will not judge us based on our looks - be yourself.

I wouldn't worry about looks so much. As long as you dress in something you feel makes you look fantastic, and present yourself with confidence, you should be fine. Vets come in all shapes, sizes, and levels of attractiveness. That said, most of our class seems to be size 8 white girls with long brown hair :)

Depending on what your school requires, you may want to get fit (not necessarily the same as losing weight!) Farm work can kick your butt -- I'm speaking from personal experience here.

All the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are definitely some overweight people in our class. (Heck, I've put on 5-7 pounds since I got here.) I don't think it hurts you. Just be sure that the clothes you wear to interviews fit you well and aren't too tight/small. If it means going out and buying a new suit--do it. There was a larger girl at one of my interviews wearing a lacy top that revealed A LOT of cleavage under a too-tight suit. It wasn't attractive. I don't know if she got in because I'm not at that school, but it never hurts to put your best foot forward.

You are you and I dont think that matters. I would cover up any tattoos and take out any piercings other than earrings but as long as your dressed appropriately I dont think it matters.

What types of clothes do you guys recommend wearing for interviews? I don't have a suit dress or anything like that. I guess I could wear some nice dress pants and a nice blouse? :confused: Are heels okay to wear? Just some plain black ones.

i would agree-being overweight shouldnt be an issue at all-but as long as you are able for some of the strenuous work ahead-like farm work or even lifting heavier animals...its definitely a physically demanding profession.

I would strongly recommend a suit. Given the money you've already spent apply to the schools, why risk not making your best impression? You can find a nice suit on sale at most department stores for under $100. I think I spent about that on mine. You, of course, can wear a nice blouse and pants, but I'm a big fan of suits. You just look more serious and put-together. Heels are fine as long as they are professional rather than prom. A pair of pumps always looks nice. And I also agree with covering up tattoos and taking out any odd piercings. It's fine once you get to school--a fair number of my classmates have navel, eyebrow, and tongue piercings as well as tattoos.

I would strongly recommend a suit. Given the money you've already spent apply to the schools, why risk not making your best impression? You can find a nice suit on sale at most department stores for under $100. I think I spent about that on mine. You, of course, can wear a nice blouse and pants, but I'm a big fan of suits. You just look more serious and put-together. Heels are fine as long as they are professional rather than prom. A pair of pumps always looks nice. And I also agree with covering up tattoos and taking out any odd piercings. It's fine once you get to school--a fair number of my classmates have navel, eyebrow, and tongue piercings as well as tattoos.
Cool. If I get any interviews, I'll definitely get out to Macy's and optimize my Macy's card. :p

Here is my .02cents... I think appearance and weight should matter to an extent. If you apply and all of your experience is in feline medicine and you are a little over weight it probably has no bearing. However, if you write on your application you are interested in equine medicine or bovine medicine and you are 40lbs or more overweight, I think there maybe some "red flags".

Being a vet is alot more than just getting all A's as an undergrad or making a 1600 on your GRE. In my opinion, a person who fails to control their weight is showing just as much a lack of effort as a person who only made B's and C's as an undergrad or 1000 on their GRE. I realize that some weight issues are because of medical problems, but I still believe vet schools want the whole package. Becoming a vet and practicing as a vet, from a large animal perspective, is as much a lifestyle as it is a profession.

If you are worried about weight issues go and look around at who the vets are in your area. Go to the vet schools you applied at and look at the professors and staff who work there. I know at the schools I applied at most all the professors are in good shape. Even the ones who are over 70!!

Honestly, being overweight is vague. If you are overweight, eat a ton, don't exercise, aren't fit... then you have a problem whether or not you get in. (to be honest- not rude) I wouldn't- and it shouldn't- matter if you are really skinny because some really skinny people wouldn't be able to handle the heavy-duty stuff either. Make sure you are fit (at least some what) I think- no matter what anyone says- appearance matters. If some skinny chick comes in with sweatshirt and jeans and great grades and an overweight chick comes in with a suit or dress or w/e on and have good grades... i mean how someone presents themselves say soo much about them. You don't have to be perfect- you can be overweight...just make sure you are at least semi-fit and state exactly what you want to say: I can do this.. pick me! pick me! haha ...if thats what you're going for at least.

-Kimberly.

mossyducks, where are you applying? I hope it's not KSU.

Reading your post, my $0.02 is that being a vet is as much about being a kind, accepting human being who refrains from snap judgements formed on superficial impressions. That's the kind of "lifestyle" admissions committees are looking for.

After all, that client who looks practically homeless really could be a millionaire who would stop at nothing to help his dog.

Just a thought...

mossyducks, where are you applying? I hope it's not KSU.

Reading your post, my $0.02 is that being a vet is as much about being a kind, accepting human being who refrains from snap judgements formed on superficial impressions. That's the kind of "lifestyle" admissions committees are looking for.

After all, that client who looks practically homeless really could be a millionaire who would stop at nothing to help his dog.

Just a thought...

I am kind and accepting and applying to many schools. All my comments were from a large animal veterinarians perspective. I will refer to my earlier statement. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
We had an intern at the equine hospital a couple years who was pretty overweight (approx. 100lbs overweight).

For the interview, make sure you are dressed appropriately and are well-groomed - it isn't the time to show your tats/piercings/unusual hair or nail colors, etc.

Confidence and professionalism count - there were people who got into the school I applied to who are overweight.

However - do make sure you are fit even if you aren't skinny! This can be a physically demanding profession, even if you're only working with "small" (think: 100 lb rottie) animals :)

I am kind and accepting and applying to many schools. All my comments were from a large animal veterinarians perspective. I will refer to my earlier statement. :D

Then I shall refer to your earlier statement to show how you contradict yourself. :)

FYI, there are plenty of large female large animal vets. In fact, that's almost the stereotype.

I'm surprised you aren't aware of that if you claim to be speaking for large animal veterinarians.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In my experience, lifting large animals isn't that big a deal for people who are overweight. When I was working emergency and we had a large dog come in (>100 lb), they would call me to come do most of the lifting. I have a good chunk of time before I apply, so it shouldn't be a big deal to lose weight. I've already lost thirty pounds, w00t. I know that vet med can be grueling physically, and I want to be in shape so I can be the best vet I can be (and to be the healthiest). <3

From my veterinary experience it's the larger women with big frames who do the heavy lifting. Sure, maybe a toothpick could beat me up a flight of stairs, but which brand of "fitness" is the most practical for vet work?

Mossy... You are quite the person. Remarkably adept at sticking your foot in your mouth. While you may have a point (sort of), you rarely phrase it very well. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in one of your interviews.

Mossy, in my short experience here at vet school, that has not been the case. Our equine teacher is probably 30-50 lbs overweight and spends most of his time on he farm with the horses.

As for the question in general, there are people in my class that are very overweight that obviously got in. Just remember that at some schools grades and experience count for almost everything. At UTK, everything was scored as objectively as possible (points for GPA, etc its all on their admissions page somewhere). Then there was a score for the interview. And that was meant to be based more on what your answers were. I think it would be naive to think that it played no role because people are people, but I also think that many strive to be unbiased. In short, I don't think it will affect you too much in terms of the vet school interview. But as mentioned, for your own health, being overweight is a problem. And let me tell you, if you get in and have health issues, it makes classes a heck of a lot harder. I personally lost 20 lbs before coming to vet school in an (ongoing) attempt to get healthy.

Good luck to all the applicants.

Mossy... You are quite the person. Remarkably adept at sticking your foot in your mouth. While you may have a point (sort of), you rarely phrase it very well. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in one of your interviews.

I wasnt going to say anything but your right. Mossy you may want to think of other peoples feelings before you be so blunt in your posts. Three of your last involve saying overweight people lack effort, that you dont care about people who want to be exotic vets, and that you wonder if people only want to go to Penn because of the "Barbaro Story". Just think a bit before you type.

I think the most important aspect in an interview is to be pulled together and to look your personal best, whatever that may be. Size is not the issue here, it is whether you put the effort forth, and your interviewers will perceive that. A well spoken, well put together person will outshine a person that is not so put together and fumbles regardless of size. And as far as workload/heavy lifting goes, I don't think it is necessarily true that the larger people lift the most. Remeber that smaller people can be strong as well and it is presumptuous to assume that those people cannot pull their weight. And the same goes for the opposite situation.

Veg, CONGRATS on the weight loss. Speaking from personal experience, that is NOT an easy thing to do. You rock, and you've got the perfect attitude for veterinary medicine AND becoming healthier! :) Big gold star for you!

Depending on how much weight you have to lose/how much you end up losing/how you go about it--and hopefully it's in a gradual, healthy way--you actually might be able to play that up on your application/during your interview.

It sounds kind of risky, but I think there's a way to do it. On my VMCAS under "description" of one of my extracurricular activities, I did say, "After losing 75 pounds, I trained for and ran a 13.1-mile half marathon in under two and a half hours."

Both of my half-marathons and my ten-mile races take a hell of a lot more "effort" and discipline than the 1430 I got on my GREs, mossy. For the record. And you would have written me off.

Veg, best of luck to you! :luck::love::luck::love: Let us know what happens!

Thanks Allie, I will keep everybody updated. As far as mossy, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say that overweight people show a "lack of effort". I work my big butt off getting a 4.0 every semester and going to work, not to mention doing other community activities. Being overweight doesn't mean you are lazy, stupid, and don't care about yourself. It just means you are overweight. It's BS attitudes like "looks should count because you aren't lazy if you're thin" that are lazy and show a lack of cognitive effort, in my humble opinion.

Thanks Allie, I will keep everybody updated. As far as mossy, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say that overweight people show a "lack of effort". I work my big butt off getting a 4.0 every semester and going to work, not to mention doing other community activities. Being overweight doesn't mean you are lazy, stupid, and don't care about yourself. It just means you are overweight. It's BS attitudes like "looks should count because you aren't lazy if you're thin" that are lazy and show a lack of cognitive effort, in my humble opinion.

**HIGH-FIVE** :love: :laugh:

Thanks for all the suggestions. In my experience, lifting large animals isn't that big a deal for people who are overweight. When I was working emergency and we had a large dog come in (>100 lb), they would call me to come do most of the lifting. I have a good chunk of time before I apply, so it shouldn't be a big deal to lose weight. I've already lost thirty pounds, w00t. I know that vet med can be grueling physically, and I want to be in shape so I can be the best vet I can be (and to be the healthiest). <3

From my veterinary experience it's the larger women with big frames who do the heavy lifting. Sure, maybe a toothpick could beat me up a flight of stairs, but which brand of "fitness" is the most practical for vet work?

Just for the record, I'm what you would consider a "toothpick", and I don't have any problem lifting animals where I work. In fact, a lot of the girls where I work are what you consider a "toothpick", and they don't have any problems either.

I understand you are trying to make a point, but is it possible to make your stance without putting down others?

Just for the record, I'm what you would consider a "toothpick", and I don't have any problem lifting animals where I work. In fact, a lot of the girls where I work are what you consider a "toothpick", and they don't have any problems either.

I understand you are trying to make a point, but is it possible to make your stance without putting down others?

Oh my goodness! Can't we just agree that ugly or beautiful, fat or thin, perfectly postured or hunchbacked, symmetrical or asymmetrical, healthy or diseased, we're all in this together? So how about everyone remove their feet from their mouths and stop the nitpicking because we're all going to need each other for support when we get accepted. Or for shoulders to cry on when we get rejected for being fat and ugly, as the case may be. ;)

What does the ideal large animal vet look like anyway? I was told at 2 of my interviews that I look "small" to be able to handle the job. I replied that I have had no problem handling large animals since I was a kid so I guess size can be deceiving-either way.

Being overweight isn't a problem for interviews. A good friend of mine, (overweight), applied, interviewed, and got in. Not an issue.

As far as how it impacts how well you do your job -- I'd say weight doesn't matter. Long as you can lift what you need to lift, and stand for really, really long periods of time, it's no big deal.

If someone was so overweight they couldn't do *any* physical activity (no lifting, restraining animals, not able to stand for long periods of time, etc), then it could become a problem, I would think. The nature of veterinary medicine does require some physical activity. More so for large animals.

I am on the twiggy side, and wouln't mind a few more pounds of muscle so I could better restrain the larger dogs.

Just for the record, I'm what I understand you are trying to make a point, but is it possible to make your stance without putting down others?

I'm sorry. That was pretty hypocritical of me to say. I guess it doesn't matter what size you are as long as you get the job done. :oops:

Unfortunately, I think it does have some bearing. I base this opinion on those psychology experiments that have been done, where researchers send in two people for a job, one more qualified and uglier than the other, and find the interviewers friendlier and more likely to give the job to the attractive candidate. Sadly, being overweight is considered unattractive, and may (hopefully unconsciously) be a factor.

However, being dressed sharply, with a smile, should go a long way towards any unconscious bias against overweight people at the interview. My sister is a prime example, she is at least 30 pounds overweight and not particularly pretty, but is very vivacious and takes great care to be dressed well, and she has her pick of boyfriends and jobs. And really, do you want to go to a school that the interviewers are so shallow as to only let the beautiful people in? :love:

But if you need motivation for losing weight, go ahead and use concerns about your interview to do it, god knows I could use some motivation, bleah!

I would cover up any tattoos and take out any piercings other than earrings but as long as your dressed appropriately I dont think it matters.

Uh, take out my piercings? I have some pretty unique (but modest!) ear piercings that would grow over if I took them out for an interview.

By modest, I mean, five of my piercings are 16 gauge, the other is a 14... some people don't even notice them, and it isn't like they are oozing anything.

I asked on a vet tech community about body modifications, and it is split about 50/50. Half of the clinics have specific rules, the other half... well, people go all out.

i don't think the piercing this is 50/50. everywhere i have worked has had strict rules about piercings and when i'm a doc i will, too. with that in mind, if it's just ears and they aren't unprofessional looking (total opinion) then they might be ok. hanging earrings? no way- too many opportunities to get your ears ripped off!

If the piercings aren't new, I'd consider wearing some clear plastic studs just for the interview. I don't know how much it matters. I left my two in (a helix and a tragus), and many of my classmates have multiple ear piercings, as well as nose studs. Nothing really more 'extreme' than that.

As for appearances, obviously look sharp and well groomed and put together. After all, if you've got this far it's likely that you have many hours of clinical experience and if your weight hasn't been a problem throughout all of that, the admissions people aren't going to start hypothesizing whether it would affect your ability to do the job.

It's also funny because when we started the year, all the faculty joked that this was the best we were going to look, that everything was going to go downhill from here and we were all going to gain a ton of weight. So true.

Uh, take out my piercings? I have some pretty unique (but modest!) ear piercings that would grow over if I took them out for an interview.

By modest, I mean, five of my piercings are 16 gauge, the other is a 14... some people don't even notice them, and it isn't like they are oozing anything.

I asked on a vet tech community about body modifications, and it is split about 50/50. Half of the clinics have specific rules, the other half... well, people go all out.

While it may be wrong for people to discriminate against people with piercings/tattoos it is done, especially in interview settings. People just find it unprofessional and we had a person on the interview board talk to our class and said specifically if you have piercings take them out because its looked upon in a negative light. Obviously in the end its your call and you've got to be true to yourself but you should know going in that you only are getting like an hour to make an impression on these people who ultimately decide your fate and these are certainly things that they look at.

A lot of you have probably seen this, but here it is straight from University of Illinois CVM:

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/asa/dress.html

There's nothing in there about weight, so don't worry about it. However, it does say limited jewelry. I would take out any extreme piercings for the day.

Better hide my squirrel tatoo!!!

Just kidding actually, but now I have an idea! :D

three things:
i worked with a tech who was pushing 400 lbs as a short guy. it was very difficult to to his job- very hard for him to restrain and almost passed out doing dentals. he had to go to the ER one day during work because of heart prob. In the end he was 'let go.'
i also worked with a tech with a 'bad leg.' she wanted the job SO badly and begged the vet to give her a chance. she couldn't sweep or mop without crying in pain and definitely couldn't restrain. . within 5 days she quit.
moral? the way you are physically effects the way you work.
(i know the weight thing is extreme, but a true story)

In my opinion, a person who fails to control their weight is showing just as much a lack of effort as a person who only made B's and C's as an undergrad or 1000 on their GRE.

wow- you really aren't trying to make friends, are you? fyi, i made many b's (and one c) in undergrad and did poorly on my gre. are you saying i'm a slacker who won't get into vet school? you couldn't be more wrong.

I would take out all but one or two earings per ear. If you took them out right before your interview and put them in your pocket and put them back right afterwards do you think they'd be okay? If so, I would do it.-Better to ba safe then sorry in my opinion. I plan on taking out my 2 cartilage piercings and leaving 2 studs per ear lobe for interviews. Does this sound appropriate to you guys?

three things:
i worked with a tech who was pushing 400 lbs as a short guy. it was very difficult to to his job- very hard for him to restrain and almost passed out doing dentals. he had to go to the ER one day during work because of heart prob. In the end he was 'let go.'
i also worked with a tech with a 'bad leg.' she wanted the job SO badly and begged the vet to give her a chance. she couldn't sweep or mop without crying in pain and definitely couldn't restrain. . within 5 days she quit.
moral? the way you are physically effects the way you work.
(i know the weight thing is extreme, but a true story)

wow- you really aren't trying to make friends, are you? fyi, i made many b's (and one c) in undergrad and did poorly on my gre. are you saying i'm a slacker who won't get into vet school? you couldn't be more wrong.

I love forums... they are fun!! :D

I would take out all but one or two earings per ear. ... Better to ba safe then sorry in my opinion. I plan on taking out my 2 cartilage piercings and leaving 2 studs per ear lobe for interviews. Does this sound appropriate to you guys?

Yikes! I hadn't even thought about this. I have two lobe piercings in one ear, 3 in the other, and 2 cartildges in the 3-lobe. I also have a nose stud. hm. None of these are very showy or ostentatious, but I guess I should take them out! I have never had my cartildges out before... same one they were pierced with, 3-5 years ago. how exciting (and annoying).

With love and respect to all contributors, I find this thread to be very annoying. Vet. Med. is not chock full o' Kate Mosses. There are vets big and small, vets without arms, and deaf, dumb, and blind vets.

If you want to be healthy, Great! Don't do it for an adcom, though, because unless they don't deserve their position, they will not factor your level of attractiveness into their decision.

Be happy with who you are, everyone!

And if you are a superficial or antagonistic person, or you are obsessed with beauty competitions (nice handle jersey is cutest), I still wish you good luck. Hopefully, the most well-rounded vets will earn their acceptance, regardless of factors that are unrelated to prediction of success in the respective program.

We all have the right to choose who we are and who we want as friends. I don't care who gets in, because I'm pretty sure most of my classmates will be intelligent, and if they aren't compatible with me, I can choose not to sit next to them.

I hate being a moderator. I am going to go pet my doggies before I end up giving myself a concussion by banging my head into a wall.

Am I the only one who thought that was a reference to Jersey cows? lol

I actually thought that at first.... but it didnt make any sense because belted galloways are way cuter. :)

With love and respect to all contributors, I find this thread to be very annoying. Vet. Med. is not chock full o' Kate Mosses. There are vets big and small, vets without arms, and deaf, dumb, and blind vets.
And if you are a superficial or antagonistic person, or you are obsessed with beauty competitions (nice handle jersey is cutest),

First of all, I always thought the "jersey" reference was to cows.

Secondly, keep in mind that some may be offended by the use of the word "dumb" when referring to those who have a speech impairment.

I have seven holes in my ears (the basic lobe and five cartilage) and I left them in for the interview. However, I left my hair down (but not in my face) and they weren't that noticeable.

Just try to look professional and it'll be okay.
:)

LMAO :laugh:

Actually, it's not a reference to cows but I totally see that! It's certainly not a reference to the state either (sorry if that offends anyone but if you lived here you'd get it........:D). See the yorkie in the picture? That is her name--Jersey. When I named her that, my mom thought I was stupid because that reminded her of cows LOL. I just thought it was a short, cute name for a small cute dog.

The whole "beauty pageants" thing isn't towards me is it? Because I never mentioned I did anything like that..........

Dear God.....

I hope notifcations come soon. You guys are gettin' a little crazy over here with these threads...