Do like the dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't the field of podiatry "convince" the general public that they are needed in the same way dentists do. What dentists do for your teeth podiatrist do for ya feet? Look at how much dentists are making for doing a procedure that you should already be doing three times a day. Podiatry like any other medical field is a business. I mean seriously, commercials for toothpaste and dental floss? When was the last time you were given a lecture on foot hygiene? Perhaps podiatry should take a page from these entreprenuers, and milk the field for all its worth. Just my random thoughts... ;)

/former NYCPM applicant and acceptee
//damn nice school
///moving on :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

spyyder said:
Why doesn't the field of podiatry "convince" the general public that they are needed in the same way dentists do. What dentists do for your teeth podiatrist do for ya feet? Look at how much dentists are making for doing a procedure that you should already be doing three times a day. Podiatry like any other medical field is a business. I mean seriously, commercials for toothpaste and dental floss? When was the last time you were given a lecture on foot hygiene? Perhaps podiatry should take a page from these entreprenuers, and milk the field for all its worth. Just my random thoughts... ;)

/former NYCPM applicant and acceptee
//damn nice school
///moving on :rolleyes:
Hygiene doesn't put much into a dentist's pocket. If everyone actually took care of their mouths the way we keep harping on them to do, we'd be out of work. It's the patients who brush three times a month who pay our mortgages, not the ones who brush three times a day. :D

But having said that, increasing the emphasis on home care makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
diabeticfootdr said:
With this attitude, thanks for not going into podiatric medicine!!

Dr. Rogers

I sort of agree with this guy. Physicians need to learn that they are businessmen/women with a skill to heal the human body. Maybe if more physicians had this entrepreneur attitude then insurances companies could not have so much of controlling hand in medicine. I'm not saying doctors should become corked salespersons to milk patients but it seems physicians are losing freedom of choice big time. From the outside looking in, dentistry seems like the only health profession where freedom of choice is practiced to the fullest nowadays. What do you think?

Jays2cool4u :cool:

diabeticfootdr said:
With this attitude, thanks for not going into podiatric medicine!!

My question was serious, and I am sorry you feel that way. Reason I pose the questions specifically to podiatry is because it is the least recognized major medical field. There are medical professionals out there that are damn good at marketing their services to a diversified population. I feel that podiatrists specifically are much too relaxed in their role in today's business of healthcare and medicine. This is quite obvious in podiatry's inability to attract more students into the field, while touting good hours and good pay as a reason to join. This is why I propose to take a lesson from the dentists, and this equally applies to all medical fields. But hey, your well thought out response proved my point. ;)

being more business savvy is a part of life now; however, having the drive for public awereness soley to benifit monatarily is an ethical dilemma in my point of view. The APMA does a great deal in educating the public in regards to podiatry, and our profession continually progresses and achieves greater goals. Podiatrist aren't complacent about public awareness, they are busy treating patients. I have yet to know another podiatrist that isn't completely slammed with patients in office and OR every week....so business is good. We will keep progressing into the future and spreading awareness, you must also remember that the DPM profession is relatively small in comparison to many others too.

just my two cents, but I can assure you I am very active in my profession and work diligently in contributing to its growth into the future while maintaining high standards of care and ethics.

jays2cool4u said:
Dr. Rogers

I sort of agree with this guy. Physicians need to learn that they are businessmen/women with a skill to heal the human body. Maybe if more physicians had this entrepreneur attitude then insurances companies could not have so much of controlling hand in medicine. I'm not saying doctors should become corked salespersons to milk patients but it seems physicians are losing freedom of choice big time. From the outside looking in, dentistry seems like the only health profession where freedom of choice is practiced to the fullest nowadays. What do you think?

Jays2cool4u :cool:

I think I know what you are saying ..... and I don't disagree that you have to market yourself, whether you're a great surgeon or want to dispense orthotics and shoes ---- but I completely disagree with the term "milking the field". This implies dishonesty and seeing each patient as a "dollar sign".

Yes, physicians are making much less than they used to, however, your primary duty is still to be an advocate for your patient's health and practice in their best interest. This used to come with wealth automatically, but now more doctors are middle/upper middle class.

Dentistry was always a cash business. Perhaps because routine dentistry is not seen as essential to health care by the government/community. Therefore, in order to even make a living, dentists had to become businessmen and function like a business (more so than a physician).

My bias against physician businesses is because I work in NYC. This place is horrible for health care. New Yorkers are consumed with money, whether you're an investor, lawyer, trash man, or doctor. Maybe this is due to the expensive cost of living??? But I see how patients suffer everyday from unnecessary procedures and tests because doctors want to make money.

We can't let medicine become like this.

LCR