DO internship + MD residency -how to do eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year DO student applying to allopathic em programs. there are some that are 2-4yr and i need to find an internship/transitional year. I was wondering if i wanted to do an osteopathic internship +allopthic residency how do i submit that on eras? since the do match is before the md how would my internship and resideny link up? does anyone have any insight? please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

shortbread9 said:
I am a fourth year DO student applying to allopathic em programs. there are some that are 2-4yr and i need to find an internship/transitional year. I was wondering if i wanted to do an osteopathic internship +allopthic residency how do i submit that on eras? since the do match is before the md how would my internship and resideny link up? does anyone have any insight? please let me know.

I'd be interested in hearing this as well, because as far as I've seen, you can't substitute your DO transitional year for the first year of an MD/allopathic residency. We have had several interns who had done a rotating internship but then came to our program (my former residency) but had to repeat the internship. This was a surgical residency though.

Is it possible to do this? Have you heard otherwise? Or does it differ for EM (ie, their board will allow this practice). Just wondering so I know for future reference.

Kimberli Cox said:
I'd be interested in hearing this as well, because as far as I've seen, you can't substitute your DO transitional year for the first year of an MD/allopathic residency. We have had several interns who had done a rotating internship but then came to our program (my former residency) but had to repeat the internship. This was a surgical residency though.

Is it possible to do this? Have you heard otherwise? Or does it differ for EM (ie, their board will allow this practice). Just wondering so I know for future reference.

I can't speak to the match side of things, but I do know of three DO's from my intern class (2002-2003) that did the match and were selected for 2-4 MD anesthesia programs, they all scrambled for the AOA internship though because none of their programs had enough linked spots to put them in.

I also had one classmate that did the same internship then had to repeat several months of (but not all) of his internship at an allopathic IM program.

Some specialty's like surgery require a categorical internship, they won't accept any transitional program for full credit, doesn't matter if its Allopathic, or Osteopathic. Others like radiology, and Anesthesia just require that you have completed an internship, really doesn't matter where or what kind.

I don't know about EM though.

i want out (of the military)

i want out said:
I can't speak to the match side of things, but I do know of three DO's from my intern class (2002-2003) that did the match and were selected for 2-4 MD anesthesia programs, they all scrambled for the AOA internship though because none of their programs had enough linked spots to put them in.

I also had one classmate that did the same internship then had to repeat several months of (but not all) of his internship at an allopathic IM program.

Some specialty's like surgery require a categorical internship, they won't accept any transitional program for full credit, doesn't matter if its Allopathic, or Osteopathic. Others like radiology, and Anesthesia just require that you have completed an internship, really doesn't matter where or what kind.

I don't know about EM though.

i want out (of the military)

Ahhh...I see. Thank you for the information.

From what I have seen, if you are applying for a residency program that starts as a PGY-2 (such as neuro, radiology, anesthesia, PM&R, etc), it shouldn't be any problem. You apply for osteopathic internship and the allopathic residency at the same time, since those residencies fill 2 years ahead of time (ie, if you want to go into neurology, you apply this year for a spot for the class starting in 2008), so by the time you are done with the internship you are ready to go into the advanced program. For programs like general surgery, internal medicine, EM, Peds, Ob/Gyn, there is no prelim/transitional intern year. You go straight into the categorical program when you finish med school. Most programs usually do not accept a prelim or transitional year in place of the categorical intern year. These programs only interview for a spot one year in advance (ie, you interview in EM now for a spot beginning in 2007). I've seen a few DOs do these types of programs. Basically, you have to apply for an osteopathic internship, do that year, and then apply again for a categorical spot the following year. Basically, you have to go through the whole interview process twice.

1. You can NOT link your match list for MD and DO programs. The DO list is totally seperate, and the match for that list occurs one month earlier.

2. IF you match into a DO internship, two things happen. First, you get kicked out of all of the PGY1-4 residencies you listed on your MD rank list. Second, you will not be able to "geographically" match your internship with your residency.

3. This entire process is an ENORMOUS pain in the A$$ for DOs. Anyone who is anti-combined match did not have to go through this, I assure you.

4. Deciding to rank DO internships is a risk. You will most likely match into one, as they are not competitive. Then you are pulled out of any and all advanced MD programs. You are better off just doing the MD match, and scrambling into a DO internship if you need to, ie if you match in an advanced MD residency with no PGY1 year.

Good luck. I feel your pain, and am very glad to be on the other side of that nonsense. :D

the above post is not true. you can apply to a PGY1 DO internship and a PGY2 allo spot - if you match DO you will not get pulled from the MD match, because they are for separate years. this is for residencies that START at PGY2- anesthesia, pmr, radonc, radiology, etc. however, matching DO PGY1 WILL pull you from any MD PGY1 spots you may have applied for.

raspberry swirl said:
the above post is not true. you can apply to a PGY1 DO internship and a PGY2 allo spot - if you match DO you will not get pulled from the MD match, because they are for separate years. this is for residencies that START at PGY2- anesthesia, pmr, radonc, radiology, etc. however, matching DO PGY1 WILL pull you from any MD PGY1 spots you may have applied for.

Thats what I said. PGY 1-4 spots. Advanced. PGY 2 spots are fine. You just can't link the two lists, like if you were applying to only MD programs...

So the above post is true, and so is the post above the above post. Geesh. Isn't this all crystal clear?? :)

hermione said:
Thats what I said. PGY 1-4 spots. Advanced. PGY 2 spots are fine. You just can't link the two lists, like if you were applying to only MD programs...

So the above post is true, and so is the post above the above post. Geesh. Isn't this all crystal clear?? :)
Positions that start at PGY-1 and continue through the whole shebang are "categorical." Positions that begin in the PGY-2 year are "advanced." If you match a DO internship, you no longer eligible to match to an allopathic "categorical" position. You may still match at "advanced" programs.

flux=rad said:
Positions that start at PGY-1 and continue through the whole shebang are "categorical." Positions that begin in the PGY-2 year are "advanced." If you match a DO internship, you no longer eligible to match to an allopathic "categorical" position. You may still match at "advanced" programs.

Oh yeah, thats what I meant. Categorical. Exactly. :oops: