Do Indian people help each other out??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate if someone could guide me through this. The US forum is usually pretty helpful when we ask questions...but no one's biting here. I was hoping Indian folks would be a bit helpful...just something for a start so I can help out my little sis in India. My old post is below...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hey folks,

I have a younger cousin who was trying to get into medicine in India, but unfortunately did not have the right support system (despite having good results) and did not get into a medical college. She did her 12th in Jammu. She is now going to Pharmacy school but would still like to try for a medical seat next year. I am actually a 3rd year medicine resident in the USA so know absolutely NOTHING about the process of applying to med school in India but really want to help my cousin. I realize that the competition is tough (I've heard "You can find God in India but not a medical seat") so I'm aware of the difficulties she will face.

But can anyone at least get me started in how to approach the application process? I mean, what schools can she qualify for? How do I find out all this information? Are there websites I can go to for contact info?

I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

gwen said:
Hey folks,

I have a younger cousin who was trying to get into medicine in India, but unfortunately did not have the right support system (despite having good results) and did not get into a medical college. She did her 12th in Jammu. She is now going to Pharmacy school but would still like to try for a medical seat next year. I am actually a 3rd year medicine resident in the USA so know absolutely NOTHING about the process of applying to med school in India but really want to help my cousin. I realize that the competition is tough (I've heard "You can find God in India but not a medical seat") so I'm aware of the difficulties she will face.

But can anyone at least get me started in how to approach the application process? I mean, what schools can she qualify for? How do I find out all this information? Are there websites I can go to for contact info?

I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot!!!

hey i dont understand how can u help ur cousin while living in USA? U r cousin is currently studying in india, right? every tom dick harry who studies his +2 in india knows the procedure for getting into medical college... its indeed hard to imagine a pharmacy student clueless regarding medical admission procedure even after trying unsuccesfully once.

now coming to the point, u r cousin will have appear for an entrance exam conducted by medical education and research department of J&k gov. Unfortunately ur cousin cant appear for all india PMT since she from J&K (J&K and AP r closed to all india students). she can also appear in zillions of other entrance exams carried out by various colleges such as AMU, AIIMS CMC (vellore and LUdhiana) JIPMER and score of others she can even appear for COMDEK (karnataka state). many students who cant clear in first attempt take a drop and appear for next year's exams. it helps to remain at home and prepare for exam. enrolling into professional courses like pharmacy will only add up to burden of studying.

BUt why u r cousin wants to leave pharmacy????? prospects of pharmaceutical industry in india r looking gr8 in india. i've seen guys who have joined md pharma even when he was getting a MS ortho seat in reputed college.

and about links here is the one that should be helpful : www.pmtforums.com or www.pmtforum.com

to start with there r not enough indian medical student on this forum, all u have r some pre meds from north america. Most of indian med student who regularly post here (me, shardul and trinity) r born and brought up here in india who have gotten in medical college through open competitive exams. so we know little about NRI admission procedures since our colleges dont have nri quotas (only pvt. med colleges have it). so stop all BS about indians not being helpful. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps you forgot to read the part that my cousin is in India and has studied there. her father died while she was in the 11th standard and her mother unfortunately cannot help her run around india to look for med school admissions. she just needs someone to guide her. i was hoping i could help her even though i'm pretty far away. no need to get angry. i do appreciate your posting and the website information. i'll let her know. she's just like a little sis to me and so i feel obligated to help even though i live here.

after looking at some websites, there seems to be no method to the madness in the application process in india...at least through my eyes. its insane that they have NRI "quotas" in the pvt schools. i'm sure they also have a 10-15% quota for the rich kids whose parents just pay for them to get into school. it makes me sick how far money can get some *****s in india...even some of the *****s who go from here to india through their mom and dad's check books. so i do really respect the people who get into the indian govt colleges through merit.

and i still believe that most indian people (don't get defensive, i'm just as indian as you, my friend) will NOT help each other out...especially when it comes to medicine...there's too much jealousy and obviously competition.

anyway, thanks!

allergic2morons said:
to start with there r not enough indian medical student on this forum, all u have r some pre meds from north america. Most of indian med student who regularly post here (me, shardul and trinity) r born and brought up here in india who have gotten in medical college through open competitive exams. so we know little about NRI admission procedures since our colleges dont have nri quotas (only pvt. med colleges have it). so stop all BS about indians not being helpful. :smuggrin:

gwen said:
and i still believe that most indian people (don't get defensive, i'm just as indian as you, my friend) will NOT help each other out...especially when it comes to medicine...there's too much jealousy and obviously competition.

anyway, thanks!

lol...its called being indian. However, i know of many indian students here in stated who dot not act like this, they are happy to help others out.

please dont bash NRI students beacause they have money. Some certain situations make it very difficult for some poeple to gain admission here in the states. I am trying to explain it from another persons perspective. Also, not every one can go as an NRI, they have to be approved first. Going to india is like going to the carribean, thats where poeple who cant get into med school in the states go. But granted, it has some better ties to the u.s. than studying medicine in india.

hi jon
i just signed up. student in guj. i got in medicene by merit., though my dad was ready for nri procedure, he has money , you see. are u ready to pay the 'donation'. there is chance to get ur sister admission here in guj. if u are interested i can email u the details of three colleges who might accept. that is if yu r ready to pay abt 25 lac rupees and she can score abt 80%. u need to tell me her pass percent for real help. mail me at. [email protected]

from what I know unless you threaten to hold up a 711 you wont get any help

Sunny can you help me?

There is only so much help one person can get in one day. Space out the help sessions in a weekly fashion (y'know wiht the Sammy Sosa fan and his fraction+rational numbers lessons), then all will be well. Long live Oranges!!!!!

4%20Thumbs%20Up%204x6%2072%20dpi.jpg

img1.gif

apples rules

Y'know he's really holding:

747.jpg

just wait till i throw it at your powerbook!!

When i place it inside my brenthaven bag you can't touch it.

As per the title of this thread, no, I don't think Indian people help other Indians. Rather, they gossip about each other and feign commisseration.

:mad:

^ WhoamI and I want to know who am ju?

Tartufe said:
As per the title of this thread, no, I don't think Indian people help other Indians. Rather, they gossip about each other and feign commisseration.

Hey commiseration has one S. Next time trying to use big words please use spell check other wise WhoamI will get confused. He/she has a lot on his/her plate trying to figure out who she/he is so doesn't have time for bad grammer. :laugh:

you said it, sista! (or is it brutha?)

Tartufe said:

It is sista!

Data, thanks for the spell check. I rely on ppl like you to help me out.

When are we going to start the aunty and uncle are meanies/*****s thread?

Tartufe said:
It is sista!

Data, thanks for the spell check. I rely on ppl like you to help me out.

When are we going to start the aunty and uncle are meanies/*****s thread?
Its been done, a few times at least on different parts of SDN :laugh: .

DAMN THOSE AUNTIES AND UNCLES!!!!!!!!!!!! They never quit asking questions...