Do I tell my current employer my future plans for a LOR for post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all ... I figured with being non-trad that most of you would be able to help me figure out what to do with my situation.

Situation: I have been doing my MBA at night for past 2 years at work. I will be starting my prereqs for the fall at night now. This application needs 2 LOR's - from employers or professors. I don't feel comfortable asking two professors so I was considering asking one professor and one of my supervisors/directors at work. But they don't know my plans right now to go to med school.

I discussed with a co-worker and since I would be working for the next two years and it wouldn't really affect my work schedule (i might ask to just change my shift by an half and hour), and apparently I am an employee in good standing compared to others in the dept. This close co-worker is a good friend of mine so I'm not too worried. I was going to go to my direct supervisor for an LOR when she suggested to go to the VP our my department and tell him my plans and get him to write me a LOR. He is a great man and he knows how hard I work at my MBA and respects me for that and we have a pretty good work relationship. Also having a letter from a VP who knows my work ethic I think would be pretty good too. I mean I will be with the company for the next 2 years and my co-worker states that they would probably respect me more for telling them (this way they can budget etc). This is a GREAT job with good benefits and great pay, plus I'm really lucky to have a great dept! The people are supportive and fun to work with as well!. Earning potential is important right now to save up for the coming years!

So any advice? Anyone been in my position? I am really confused on what to do because my superiors are really cool about things for the most part and I'm sure they'd be sad to see me go but I know that they would probably support me as well. I guess I just have to try, but I get all nervous about it. Same way when I submitted my letter of resignation to my first job. :scared:

Thanks for an input in advance!

~M

Members don't see this ad.

mshheaddoc said:
Hello all ... I figured with being non-trad that most of you would be able to help me figure out what to do with my situation.

So any advice? Anyone been in my position? I am really confused on what to do because my superiors are really cool about things for the most part and I'm sure they'd be sad to see me go but I know that they would probably support me as well. I guess I just have to try, but I get all nervous about it. Same way when I submitted my letter of resignation to my first job. :scared:

Thanks for an input in advance!

~M

Yeah, I'm in a similar position too. I have to finish out 1.5 years of work, but I'll need a LOR from someone there. I actually approached my boss's boss about writing one, and he was very happy too. I haven't actually told my boss yet. I'm afraid it will affect my last year and a half (or, if something drastic like layoffs happen that I will be on the short list). I'll probably end up telling her, though, and letting the chips fall.