Do I still have chance to go to IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSA 101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I just started my internship year and I will start my residency in Diagnostic radiology in 2017. Someone told me that I won't be able to go to IR fellowship if I want to because my residency will finish in 2021 and starting from 2020 there will be no IR fellowship.
Is this true?

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are truly interested in IR, don't listen to "someone," research it on your own. Basically, you'll be able to still find a 1 year fellowship if you do enough procedures during your DR residency or will have to do a 2 year fellowship if you don't do enough procedures. The application process and competitiveness of these programs are still TBD. From SIR:
Key facts about the IR residency
  • IR Fellowship training. The current one-year subspecialty fellowship in Vascular and Interventional Radiology (VIR) is being phased out and will be replaced by the new IR Residency.
  • IR Residency Formats. The IR residency has two formats: Integrated and Independent
The Integrated IR Residency is five-years in length (a total of six years of post-graduate training). This IR training format is available to medical students. Students apply thru the NRMP main match and begin residency training in the PGY two year. The five-year residency curriculum is concentrated on diagnostic radiology in the first three years and interventional radiology in the last two years.

The Independent IR Residency is two years in length (total of seven years of postgraduate training). This training format is available to graduates of a diagnostic radiology residency.

Some diagnostic radiology residency programs may offer additional training in IR during the diagnostic radiology residency. This advanced training is termed Early Specialization in IR (ESIR). Diagnostic radiology residents who complete ESIR training may be able to finish IR training in a total of six post-graduate years.

• IR/DR certification. Graduates of an IR Residency qualify to take the IR/DR examination offered by the American Board of Radiology (ABR). The IR/DR certificate recognizes competency in both diagnostic radiology and interventional radiology. Certificate holders can practice both Diagnostic Radiology and Interventional Radiology.
  • Internship. Both Integrated and Independent IR residency formats require a preliminary clinical internship (PGY one year). Internship training can be in surgery, internal medicine, pediatrics, a surgical subspecialty or a transitional year.
  • NRMP Integrated IR Residency match. It is anticipated that the first accredited Integrated IR programs will offer positions in the March 2017 main match (2016-2017 interview season). Institutions can apply now for IR Residency accreditation. Accredited programs will be listed on the ACGME website as they are approved.
  • Options for current 4th year medical students. Medical students interested in IR who will be fourth year students starting in July 2015 and plan to enter the NRMP main match taking place in March 2016, should apply for a diagnostic radiology residency. They can then apply for an Independent IR residency position after completing a DR residency. Alternatively, DR residents may be able to transfer internally into an IR residency at their home institution once their institution obtains Integrated IR residency accreditation.

Agree with rufaterd. While technically the traditional IR "fellowships" should not exist after July 1, 2020, the forthcoming IR "residencies" will exist. The independent IR residency will, in essence, be a 2-year IR "fellowship." If you complete an ESIR during your residency, you will earn 1-year of credit towards an independent IR residency.

More introductory helpful info here: http://rfs.sirweb.org/wordpressnstall/4787-2/

If you have extra questions, feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much guys for your answers.
Sorry for my late response. Prelim year is loooooooong.