Do I still have a chance at PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajames08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated Spring 2016 with a degree in Biology. I applied for PT schools after that and didnt get accepted anywhere. one of the places I applied to was TWU(Texas Women's University) which was my top choice and still is. After receiving my rejection letter I asked her "what could I do to make myself look better for the next time that I apply?" She said that my last 60 hrs was just at the minimum (3.02) and she said my pre-req was good (3.7) but she said my GRE was low (which I was aware of but I still wanted to give it a shot) She informed me that getting into a master's program would raise my last 60 hrs GPA(which I don't really want to do) and she also suggested that I apply to PTA school,become a PTA and then later on do the bridge program to become a PT. Since then,since I didn't really want to do the whole grad program thing,I started looking into PTA. There is a program that is in my area that I plan to apply to but lately I've been thinking and I really want to give PT another shot. I was thinking of studying for the GRE for the next few months and taking the test in maybe June, mid July or early August and reapplying to PT school again. I feel like the GRE was the thing that hurt me most when it came to my application. I never studied for the GRE the first or second time I took it which is probably the reason I had such a low score. I have heard of people scoring really well on the GRE but having a lower GPA (3.0-3.5 range) and they still got into PT school. My ultimate goal is to be a Physical Therapist and I feel like going into PTA and then going to PT would take a longgggggg time. If I retake the GRE and get a good score do you think that would be enough for me to get into PT school this second time?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, no, PTA to PT is generally not recommended. PTA isn't meant to be a bridge to becoming a PT, it's its own career. That was bad advice for her to give, unless she thinks time stops when you become a PTA. That's like saying, "try again in 5 years".

Study for and kill the GRE and you'll definitely increase your chances. The last 60 hours could be difficult to overcome, since you already have good prereqs. It's not like you would retake your prereqs to get your last 60 up. Some people do take masters programs to increase that GPA, but it doesn't seem like an option for you. Plus, money.

Overall, I would apply to schools that put a lot of weight on prereq GPA and GRE (once you get a great score). You'll just have to do your research to find out which schools do that.

Yeah, no, PTA to PT is generally not recommended. PTA isn't meant to be a bridge to becoming a PT, it's its own career. That was bad advice for her to give, unless she thinks time stops when you become a PTA. That's like saying, "try again in 5 years".

Study for and kill the GRE and you'll definitely increase your chances. The last 60 hours could be difficult to overcome, since you already have good prereqs. It's not like you would retake your prereqs to get your last 60 up. Some people do take masters programs to increase that GPA, but it doesn't seem like an option for you. Plus, money.

Overall, I would apply to schools that put a lot of weight on prereq GPA and GRE (once you get a great score). You'll just have to do your research to find out which schools do that.

Thank you so much for replying! The whole applying to a masters program just seems like a waste to me. I just feel like what's the point of getting into a grad program that I don't really need, you know? I also researched and saw how alot of people said the PTA to PT route wasn't really a good choice. That's 2 years of PTA school then you have to work as a PTA for 2 years after that to be accepted into the bridge program. I just feel like that's alot of time and it would make more sense to do PT school for 3 years. I will definitely take your advice and retake the GRE, and get some more observation hours so it won't seem like I've just been doing nothing since I submitted my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it'd be a net 7 years before you started as a DPT. lol

Do you have any slightly low grades for your prereqs that you could retake? If you could take a couple of those and get A's, you'd increase both your prereq and last 60. Just another option to strengthen your stats. I think GRE will help a lot though.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it'd be a net 7 years before you started as a DPT. lol

Do you have any slightly low grades for your prereqs that you could retake? If you could take a couple of those and get A's, you'd increase both your prereq and last 60. Just another option to strengthen your stats. I think GRE will help a lot though.

Not really. Most of my prereqs were either A's or B's. The only things I got C's in were the super hard biology/chemistry classes that I didn't really need like organic chemistry and cellular and molecular biology. My last 60 hrs was low because of most of those types of classes. I am currently taking my last prereq that I need which is Anatomy and Physiology II so I'll shoot for an A in that class.

Not really. Most of my prereqs were either A's or B's. The only things I got C's in were the super hard biology/chemistry classes that I didn't really need like organic chemistry and cellular and molecular biology. My last 60 hrs was low because of most of those types of classes. I am currently taking my last prereq that I need which is Anatomy and Physiology II so I'll shoot for an A in that class.

If you are set on twu and they want an improved last 60. Just take a bunch of fluff classes at a cc. Maybe even online. Some As will jump that number quickly and of course the GRE you get to keep retaking it so might as well

Luckily both the things you need to improve can be pretty quick fixes if you're capable

If you just want to get into PT school, your last 60 gpa is not too low that you can't get in. Just retake your GRE, improve all parts of your application that needs improvement and when the cycle reopens, apply to a greater array of PT schools and schools where your stats match the stats of accepted students.

If you really want to get into TWU, then you want to make sure you listen to the advices given to you. Especially because you will have to explain on your application how exactly you improved it. Yes improving the GRE will help, but TWU is an extremely competitive school and gpa IS a big deal. I believe this past cycle the average gpa for accepted students was around 3.85. So you want to make sure that gpa go up. You don't have to get a master in a completely unrelated field, maybe you could do an MBA online that could be interesting for you to explore the business side or the profession or you could get a second bachelor. With you having already one bachelor, if you choose a closely related field you might be able to get a second bachelor in about 1 year. That way you're increasing your last 60 gpa and the timeline is perfect since you need to wait a year before reapplying anyway. I would go talk to an advisor at your school and see what you can do. If you're graduating in May and haven't graduated yet you can actually just add a minor to your degree plan and that will last exactly one year too.

If you just want to get into PT school, your last 60 gpa is not too low that you can't get in. Just retake your GRE, improve all parts of your application that needs improvement and when the cycle reopens, apply to a greater array of PT schools and schools where your stats match the stats of accepted students.

If you really want to get into TWU, then you want to make sure you listen to the advices given to you. Especially because you will have to explain on your application how exactly you improved it. Yes improving the GRE will help, but TWU is an extremely competitive school and gpa IS a big deal. I believe this past cycle the average gpa for accepted students was around 3.85. So you want to make sure that gpa go up. You don't have to get a master in a completely unrelated field, maybe you could do an MBA online that could be interesting for you to explore the business side or the profession or you could get a second bachelor. With you having already one bachelor, if you choose a closely related field you might be able to get a second bachelor in about 1 year. That way you're increasing your last 60 gpa and the timeline is perfect since you need to wait a year before reapplying anyway. I would go talk to an advisor at your school and see what you can do. If you're graduating in May and haven't graduated yet you can actually just add a minor to your degree plan and that will last exactly one year too.
Yea that was the reason I didnt want to do the whole "get another bachelor" thing is because I didn't want to wait another year. Although Im pretty young,I'm kinda impatient and want to be in PT school ASAP. Do you think it's possible I could take a some classes online at several different schools this summer to boost my last 60 hrs gpa sooner?I really don't wanna wait another year

Last edited:
Yea that was the reason I didnt want to do the whole "get another bachelor" thing is because I didn't want to wait another year. Although Im pretty young,I'm kinda impatient and want to be in PT school ASAP. Do you think it's possible I could take a some classes online at several different schools this summer to boost my last 60 hrs gpa sooner?I really don't wanna wait another year
anything worth achieving requires hard work, have patience and you will be rewarded in the end game. like the saying goes, you have to pay to play

I graduated Spring 2016 with a degree in Biology. I applied for PT schools after that and didnt get accepted anywhere. one of the places I applied to was TWU(Texas Women's University) which was my top choice and still is. After receiving my rejection letter I asked her "what could I do to make myself look better for the next time that I apply?" She said that my last 60 hrs was just at the minimum (3.02) and she said my pre-req was good (3.7) but she said my GRE was low (which I was aware of but I still wanted to give it a shot) She informed me that getting into a master's program would raise my last 60 hrs GPA(which I don't really want to do) and she also suggested that I apply to PTA school,become a PTA and then later on do the bridge program to become a PT. Since then,since I didn't really want to do the whole grad program thing,I started looking into PTA. There is a program that is in my area that I plan to apply to but lately I've been thinking and I really want to give PT another shot. I was thinking of studying for the GRE for the next few months and taking the test in maybe June, mid July or early August and reapplying to PT school again. I feel like the GRE was the thing that hurt me most when it came to my application. I never studied for the GRE the first or second time I took it which is probably the reason I had such a low score. I have heard of people scoring really well on the GRE but having a lower GPA (3.0-3.5 range) and they still got into PT school. My ultimate goal is to be a Physical Therapist and I feel like going into PTA and then going to PT would take a longgggggg time. If I retake the GRE and get a good score do you think that would be enough for me to get into PT school this second time?

Just study your butt off for the GRE, aim to get a combined score of 320+. With that, you'll have a very good chance of being accepted somewhere. No need to get a masters or do PTA.

I see what you're saying.
Well the cycle reopens in July so definitely retake your GRE and apply to more schools

good luck !!

I am somewhat in your position. I applied to PT schools immediately before I graduated in December 2015 (I graduated a year early). You have a better GPA than me (3.38 and 3.18 pre req). My GPA was ok except for verbal (145 V, 157 Q, 4.5 AW). When I applied to 11 schools I was waitlisted for an interview to Regis University, but didn't get it. I was also waitlisted to University of Pittsburgh and Washington University in St. Louis which are the TOP 4 schools according to USNews (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-health-schools/physical-therapy-rankings). In fact, I was #19 for St. Louis and made it all the way to #1! I literally had to wait for 5 months (Mar 2016 to August 2016) to see if anybody would drop out. Unfortunately I was stuck at #1 and you can imagine how hard it was for me to know that I was SO close. Honestly I wasn't expecting to get in until I realize I actually had something that PT schools like. So like you, I wanted to get in right away after undergrad.

However, it was a learning lesson. It made me open to more schools and never realized that other schools were cheaper where I currently live which is Colorado. I eventually retook the GRE with tutoring although I studied very hard the first time (149 V, 157 Q, 3.5 AW). I gained more hours and had an awesome opportunity with a two week medical trip to Vietnam. I never worked on my GPA and I wished I did. I'm currently applying the second time around and I unfortunately was not accepted to Wash U St. Louis (maybe due to being so eager and constantly asking them about acceptance given my circumstance last cycle?). But I had an interview with University of California in San Francisco and just when I thought I had nailed it, I was rejected. I'm pretty sure all of these rejections (I applied to a total of 17 schools and rejected from 13 of them) were due to low GPA and GRE.

My point is that you are right that you don't need to do a PTA program to get a DPT (I personally thought that was bad advice). I've been told by some students who were accepted that they took community college classes that helped them, which I am personally considering doing for the third application cycle if I don't get accepted. Be aware that some schools have certain restrictions which credit is allowed online or at community colleges so I suggest asking the PT school admission staff. You don't have to get another bachelors but you can even do a non-degree course at your university where you take a class or two. I am also retaking the GRE for the third time. Plus if I don't get the scores I want, I will not submit it until I get it right. DO NOT THINK YOU HAVE IT EASY. Remember there are thousands of people who are in the exact situation as us and some of us just have to work harder than others. Specifically think about all the applicants who did not get accepted to TWU, how are YOU going to prove that you deserve the spot? This is an opportunity to really show you how hard you are willing to work for something. Plus, applying the second time around made me so impressed about things I didn't know I was capable of. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I wasn't accepted because I wouldn't have the opportunity to travel, work as a medical scribe in the emergency department, and truly enjoy myself before the grit of school. I believe schools want us to really mature and age before we apply to PT school (I am only 22). Think really hard if PT is something you truly want to do for the rest of your life. One year is only going to make you another year wiser. You will realize people (admissions, academic advisors, PTs, PT alumni, professors, friends and family) are willing to help you if you ask for it (that's the nature of the job anyways). Stay humble and positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This year was my second year applying to PT schools after not getting in anywhere last year. I took a GRE course offered by Princeton Review, and improved my score. There is also a class that Kaplan offers which I believe is a bit more expensive. Other than that, I improved my GPA by retaking two courses, began working at a new PT clinic (it is important to get as much experience as possible in DIFFERENT types of settings), and took on some leadership roles at my work. DO NOT GIVE UP and definitely do not go to PTA school unless you want to become a PTA. There is nothing wrong with becoming a PTA, but if your goal is to be a licensed physical therapist, than you should stick to your goal. Trying again next year will only prove to the schools how bad you want it, and plus it'll give you a lot to talk about in your interviews.

I'm pretty sure all of these rejections (I applied to a total of 17 schools and rejected from 13 of them) were due to low GPA and GRE.

Your last 60 GPA is close to 3.02; what is your cum GPA?

For the most part, PT schools REALLY care about GPA, and to a lesser degree, GRE. (Because PT school is hard, schools want their students to succeed, and the best predictor of future success is past performance. So Adcoms use your GPA as a quick and dirty way to determine your past performance.)

Regardless of how strong the rest of your application is, if your GPA and GRE aren't decent, you'll face a MUCH tougher time getting into schools. TWU's average accepted stats for last 60 GPA are really high- like 3.85. If you want to get into TWU, I'd suggest, as someone above already has, that you focus some time on taking easy (hopefully still useful) classes online or at a local community college to raise your last 60 GPA, in addition to retaking the GRE. Calculate how many As you'd need to get to raise your last 60 closer to TWU's average for accepted students. If the time/money/effort required to do that seems too much, find other schools that better match your stats. But know that things like lots of observation hours or even a killer GRE score won't totally make up for a low cum GPA (or last 60 GPA, if it's for a program like TWU that uses that instead of cum).

This is my two cents on the issue. I haven't been in your situation, but if it were me, I would be asking myself if it's more important that I get into a PT school or if it's more important that I get into a specific PT school (TWU). The ultimate end goal is to become a PT, not to go to TWU, so it seems to me that if TWU specifically presents several obstacles that would take lots of time and money to overcome, you should be looking elsewhere. There are many schools that use your cum GPA instead of your last 60 hours. You didn't say what your total cumulative GPA was, but I'm going to stab and guess 3.2 ish. With a 3.2 cum GPA, a 3.7 prereq GPA, a high GRE score, and a high number of volunteer hours in a variety of settings, I think you could get into a PT program this year, but probably not TWU. If you want to get in this year, you'll have to open up your options, research, and apply strategically to the programs most likely to accept you. Also, there are some schools that will take students with these stats but require some oddball prereqs. I remember from when I applied that some required Medical Terminology while others didn't. One required a 300 level English class while most others didn't. Another required Kinesiology specifically (bio, chem, or physics didn't count) while many don't. You could very well kill two birds with one stone by researching schools, homing in on the ones most likely to accept you, and then taking any oddball prereqs, so that you meet their requirements and raise your cum GPA at the same time. That's what I would be doing in your shoes anyway. Good luck!

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!

PTA here,

I took the route of entering a PTA program while also pursuing my bachelor's straight out of high school with the sole intention of going to a bridge program.... Things changed. I realized upon completion of the PTA program that there are VERY few transitional programs and they're dropping like flies due to poor financial stability. So, I decided I'd take the traditional route and will be attending PT school in May.

One thing I learned is, time is everything. Going back for a 2 year program just to throw all of your eggs in one basket for a transitional program is a bit risky in my opinion. Let alone, PTA is not a cakewalk. It's a very intense program that squeezes as much as it possibly can into 2 years.

I say stick with it! I know rejections suck, but everything happens for a reason! Retake that dreadful GRE, kill it and rack up those observation hours. The fact that you asked what you need to do to strengthen your application is already a step forward for the next cycle. Your initiative and outspoken interest in the program you desire will get your foot in the door. Just stay level-headed and focused!!!

Good luck!

Are you opposed to going out of state? I'm assuming you're from Texas since you mention TWU. Admission into PT school is really competitive in Texas...you might have better luck going somewhere else. Also, if you're planning on retaking the GRE I strongly recommend a program called Magoosh. It helped me tremendously. Good luck, and as everyone else said, don't give up!

Thank you so much for replying! The whole applying to a masters program just seems like a waste to me. I just feel like what's the point of getting into a grad program that I don't really need, you know? I also researched and saw how alot of people said the PTA to PT route wasn't really a good choice. That's 2 years of PTA school then you have to work as a PTA for 2 years after that to be accepted into the bridge program. I just feel like that's alot of time and it would make more sense to do PT school for 3 years. I will definitely take your advice and retake the GRE, and get some more observation hours so it won't seem like I've just been doing nothing since I submitted my app.

Yeah you would be better off taking a year to improve your GRE and then look at your last 60 hours to see what you can retake and make A's in, or apply to schools that do not look at your last 60 hours - not all programs use that criteria. Honestly I would not want to pursue a program that gave you that kind of advice. Good luck.

Are you opposed to going out of state? I'm assuming you're from Texas since you mention TWU. Admission into PT school is really competitive in Texas...you might have better luck going somewhere else. Also, if you're planning on retaking the GRE I strongly recommend a program called Magoosh. It helped me tremendously. Good luck, and as everyone else said, don't give up!
Hey. TWU is out of state for me. I live in Louisiana and there's only 2 programs here. i applied to alot of places outside of Louisiana after I realized my GRE score wasn't good enough for the schools here. And thank you so much for the advice I will definitely look into the Magoosh program.

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!

PTA here,

I took the route of entering a PTA program while also pursuing my bachelor's straight out of high school with the sole intention of going to a bridge program.... Things changed. I realized upon completion of the PTA program that there are VERY few transitional programs and they're dropping like flies due to poor financial stability. So, I decided I'd take the traditional route and will be attending PT school in May.

One thing I learned is, time is everything. Going back for a 2 year program just to throw all of your eggs in one basket for a transitional program is a bit risky in my opinion. Let alone, PTA is not a cakewalk. It's a very intense program that squeezes as much as it possibly can into 2 years.

I say stick with it! I know rejections suck, but everything happens for a reason! Retake that dreadful GRE, kill it and rack up those observation hours. The fact that you asked what you need to do to strengthen your application is already a step forward for the next cycle. Your initiative and outspoken interest in the program you desire will get your foot in the door. Just stay level-headed and focused!!!

Good luck!
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the advice. I will be applying again in July. Thanks so much.

This year was my second year applying to PT schools after not getting in anywhere last year. I took a GRE course offered by Princeton Review, and improved my score. There is also a class that Kaplan offers which I believe is a bit more expensive. Other than that, I improved my GPA by retaking two courses, began working at a new PT clinic (it is important to get as much experience as possible in DIFFERENT types of settings), and took on some leadership roles at my work. DO NOT GIVE UP and definitely do not go to PTA school unless you want to become a PTA. There is nothing wrong with becoming a PTA, but if your goal is to be a licensed physical therapist, than you should stick to your goal. Trying again next year will only prove to the schools how bad you want it, and plus it'll give you a lot to talk about in your interviews.
Thank you! I'm definitely not giving up!!

What was your GRE score if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying to several Texas schools and debating if to add TWU. My pre req GPA for TWU is a 3.65 and overall is a 3.82, last 60 is 3.78. But my GRE is 150 Q, 144 V, 3 AW. :(
I have 500+ hours (inpatient, outpatient, neuro, wound care, peds, etc) and I'm very involved in our pre PT org. I also teach an a&p lab and work as a PT tech.

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!

PTA here,

Good luck!

There used to be only one bridge program, but now there's two.

What was your GRE score if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying to several Texas schools and debating if to add TWU. My pre req GPA for TWU is a 3.65 and overall is a 3.82, last 60 is 3.78. But my GRE is 150 Q, 144 V, 3 AW. :(
I have 500+ hours (inpatient, outpatient, neuro, wound care, peds, etc) and I'm very involved in our pre PT org. I also teach an a&p lab and work as a PT tech.

I will be attending Texas State University!